OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:31:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wealthy Greek Orthodox church?  (Read 4700 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: October 07, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=greek-crisis-may-change-taboo-on-church-wealth-2011-10-13As ordinary Greeks suffer from a massive austerity drive, the wealth of the Church is coming into the spotlight as some question its favored status. Still, nobody wants to talk about the issue, a Greek journalist says.
The riches of the Church of Greece could help Greeks shoulder the country’s mountain of debt, but any suggestion about redistributing the wealth has its controversies. With the Greek streets heating up, however, even the men of the cloth have started to question whether their favored status can last forever.
According to an estimate by daily Katimerini, the (Greek Orthodox) church’s assets amounted to 700 million euros in 2008, but Stefanos Manos, a politician who has held a number of Cabinet posts, estimated them at over 1 billion euros. However, these figures only take into account the portion of ecclesiastical assets that were directly managed by the central services of the church. Thus, property owned by parishes and the 80 Greek bishops, as well as the assets of 450 monasteries, was not included in the estimates.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=greek-crisis-may-change-taboo-on-church-wealth-2011-10-13

The wealthy New Calendarist Greek Orthodox Church is under pressure to do more to help the country while it struggles through a debilitating financial crisis.

As Greece faces a dire financial crisis and risks defaulting on its debt, many are calling on the Orthodox church to take less and give more.

The New Calendarist Greek Orthodox Church owns property worth some €700 billion – more than double the country’s national debt. And yet it is the struggling Greek state that pays the salaries and pensions of all the New Calendarist Orthodox clerics in the country.
http://www.omologitis.org/?p=1427&lang=en

The wealthy New Calendarist Greek Orthodox Church is under pressure to do more to help the country while it struggles through a debilitating financial crisis.

As Greece faces a dire financial crisis and risks defaulting on its debt, many are calling on the Orthodox church to take less and give more.

The New Calendarist Greek Orthodox Church owns property worth some €700 billion – more than double the country’s national debt. And yet it is the struggling Greek state that pays the salaries and pensions of all the New Calendarist Orthodox clerics in the country.

paragraphs & explanations added to comply with forum rules on posting links. -Serb1389

Is this News truth?

Greece suffers from the economic crisis. Many Greek citizens has the hard life now.Why does wealthy Greek orthodox church not donate or spend more money to help the Greek citizens? Why do wealthy Greek Orthodox Church not show love and mercy to the citizens who have harsh life now?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:35:25 PM by serb1389 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:01:09 AM »

Without the help of the GOC many would have starved. The Church is the only one that really helps them.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:06:41 AM »

Is this News truth?

Greece suffers from the economic crisis. Many Greek citizens has the hard life now.Why does wealthy Greek orthodox church not donate or spend more money to help the Greek citizens? Why do wealthy Greek Orthodox Church not show love and mercy to the citizens who have harsh life now?

Keep in mind that much of the Church's property is in land and buildings and such; it isn't like they're keeping billions in bank accounts.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:37:58 AM »

And of course it's the role of the churches to bail out the results of bad governments policies.   Roll Eyes

Before posting this stuff someone might vet the "news" and compare metropolia debt and budgets. And James Rottnek is correct as well.

Greek-Americans s do what we always have done...send what funds we can to family and friends over there.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »

they have been helping more then anyone else, and still are. I read they now are are also hurting.
BUT the church does not have enough wealth to feed everyone, its impossible.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:58:03 PM »

Just read the articals and watched the video.

700 BILLION euros-----i did nt othink they are that rich!!!!!!!!!

they could pay off the entire greek debt, 365bill and still have $$ left over to party, for years to come.

buti have a question in the vidio link above @ 1:58 he says the state pays the salary of the monks priest and biships. Ok, but MONKS!

MONKS get paid?!

i thought monks give away their property and $$ before becoming a monk.

Can anyone explaing this, is it true or did the guy just mispeak??
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

Just read the articals and watched the video.

700 BILLION euros-----i did nt othink they are that rich!!!!!!!!!

they could pay off the entire greek debt, 365bill and still have $$ left over to party, for years to come.

buti have a question in the vidio link above @ 1:58 he says the state pays the salary of the monks priest and biships. Ok, but MONKS!

MONKS get paid?!

i thought monks give away their property and $$ before becoming a monk.

Can anyone explaing this, is it true or did the guy just mispeak??

Monks, generally if I recall correctly, give their property and money to the monastery they join when they are tonsured.  So long as they reside at a monastery, in the way that a normal monk does, that can support itself (either through some sort of industry or because of very generous benefactors), there is not really a reason for a monk to have any money that they might call their own, nor to draw a salary.  However, not all monasteries are capable of supporting themselves through industry or donations, and consequently some monks work in the world to draw a salary (for instance, the Abbot of the ROCOR monastery on Vashon Island, Washington, currently - or, at the very least I am almost certain, in the past - works(ed) as a teacher at a nearby school, drawing a salary to help support his monastery; some other monks do similar things).  It is quite reasonable to believe that if such a case arose in Greece, said monks might - if they are hieromonks - do regular in-the-world priestly work, for which they have every right to be paid.  As well, there are many monks who do not live at monasteries, and live in the world, generally employed as chaplains or parish priests or other such positions.  However, it is always possible that that is a reference to something I'm unaware of, or simply a misstatement on the part of the article-writer.

As to your general point, I'd again say that most (probably nearly all) of the wealth of the Greek Church is in land, buildings (such as parishes, diocesan offices, etc., and that the number may well include the value of monasteries of the Greek Church), icons, ecclesiastical items (chalices, etc.), and other such things.  It is not as though the Greek Church (unless things have gone very, very, very wrong in Greece) is hoarding gold bullion in mass quantities.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »

the way its worded i don't think he is referring to the monks working? he also mentioned pentions?

yes i understood that part that the 700eu is in none liquid assets, biz, land,bldg... and I'm sure they are inflating the amt in order to use sensationalism to get attention, at the very least they are using values in the past that are no longer pertinent with the economy today.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »

And of course it's the role of the churches to bail out the results of bad governments policies.   Roll Eyes

To bail out the government? Certainly not. To take care of the poor and need? Absolutely, and I think the Church of Greece has exceeded all expectation in this respect. Thousands are fed on a daily basis at Church soup-kitchens and whatnot, it's like something out of St. John Chrysostom's Antioch. To question the Church's wealth or its response to the crisis comes close to libel in my opinion.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 04:34:21 PM »

To bail out the government? Certainly not. To take care of the poor and need? Absolutely, and I think the Church of Greece has exceeded all expectation in this respect. Thousands are fed on a daily basis at Church soup-kitchens and whatnot, it's like something out of St. John Chrysostom's Antioch. To question the Church's wealth or its response to the crisis comes close to libel in my opinion.

And the Greeks are still ungrateful. Surprise.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »

Wealthy Greek Orthodox Church?  Our Archdiocese in New York had to send a contribution to the wealthy Greek Orthodox Church. Tongue
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »

Never mind. Do good to those who hate you.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »

I said the RESULTS. (This is worse than the politics forum)

But I do stand by my swipe at bailing out the government - that is not alleviating the pain of the people. Nothing wrong with helping the poor people though.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »

Wealthy Greek Orthodox Church?  Our Archdiocese in New York had to send a contribution to the wealthy Greek Orthodox Church. Tongue

Ha, how do you think they made that 700bil
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

Ok, what if the Church does pay for the gov bill (in full) and then throw out all the politicians and give the church the power to rule Greece?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

Never mind. Do good to those who hate you.

Indeed. It is a cross.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:44 PM »

I know you did. The result of failed government policies (and the whole single currency fiasco, for that matter) has been poverty. It is the Church's responsibility to care for those left poor and starving however they ended up in that position. Sending money to friends and relatives is simply doing good to those who do good to you, the response of the Church has to extend beyond that.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »

Ok, what if the Church does pay for the gov bill (in full) and then throw out all the politicians and give the church the power to rule Greece?

I seriously hope that's a joke.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »

Is this News truth?

If the EU can't help Greece, what would make a person believe the Church has more money than they do?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »

I know you did. The result of failed government policies (and the whole single currency fiasco, for that matter) has been poverty. It is the Church's responsibility to care for those left poor and starving however they ended up in that position. Sending money to friends and relatives is simply doing good to those who do good to you, the response of the Church has to extend beyond that.

Really? How so?

Do not assume I meant we only send funds to relatives and friends.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:24:15 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=greek-crisis-may-change-taboo-on-church-wealth-2011-10-13As ordinary Greeks suffer from a massive austerity drive, the wealth of the Church is coming into the spotlight as some question its favored status. Still, nobody wants to talk about the issue, a Greek journalist says.
The riches of the Church of Greece could help Greeks shoulder the country’s mountain of debt, but any suggestion about redistributing the wealth has its controversies. With the Greek streets heating up, however, even the men of the cloth have started to question whether their favored status can last forever.
According to an estimate by daily Katimerini, the (Greek Orthodox) church’s assets amounted to 700 million euros in 2008, but Stefanos Manos, a politician who has held a number of Cabinet posts, estimated them at over 1 billion euros. However, these figures only take into account the portion of ecclesiastical assets that were directly managed by the central services of the church. Thus, property owned by parishes and the 80 Greek bishops, as well as the assets of 450 monasteries, was not included in the estimates.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=greek-crisis-may-change-taboo-on-church-wealth-2011-10-13

paragraphs & explanations added to comply with forum rules on posting links. -Serb1389

Is this News truth?

So, all these news are lies?
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »

No they are not lies.  why do you ask?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »

I seriously hope that's a joke.
why?  Isn't this the same government who has jailed the abbot of that monastery which made a fortune by beating the financial wizards at their own game?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
michigander

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »

The first article posted puts the GOC's assets at 700 million euros. The other two articles (both from the same source) put its assets at 700 billion euros. Obviously those can't both be correct figures.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:15 AM »

No they are not lies.  why do you ask?

These news say that Greek Orthodox Church in Greece is very wealthy. And the Greek Orthodox Church even has the ability to repay the debts which Greek government owes.Is it a lie?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:54:12 AM by walter1234 » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »

The first article posted puts the GOC's assets at 700 million euros. The other two articles (both from the same source) put its assets at 700 billion euros. Obviously those can't both be correct figures.

Welcome to the long and short scale and people who really confuse them.

That would be my guess.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »

These news say that Greek Orthodox Church in Greece is very wealthy. And the Greek Orthodox Church even has the ability to repay the debts which Greek government owes.Is it a lie?

1.  Lets say the church is wealthy.  Then they would have money to repay SOME debts...yes?

2.  Lets say the church is NOT rich.  They would STILL pay SOME of the debt because they are a national CHURCH & believe in charitable giving. 

That's the way I'm looking at this whole thing.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »

Even if the Church could pay the debts that some corrupt politicians made why should they? They could better use the money to feed the poor.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »

Even if the Church could pay the debts that some corrupt politicians made why should they? They could better use the money to feed the poor.

It's a symbiotic relationship.  They depend on each other.  Plus the church is very capable of supporting both the homeless & the country

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »

Silly arguments... do we even KNOW of what this alleged wealth is comprised...bags of gold, hordes of euros, land? Two articles are cited, one of a known slanted hacks and the other by schismatics.

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »

To me it's not even the point.  What is the big deal if the church helps out the gov't?!  They're people too.  Are we saying that people need to be saints or totally homeless In order to be helped by the church?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »

To me it's not even the point.  What is the big deal if the church helps out the gov't?!  They're people too.  Are we saying that people need to be saints or totally homeless In order to be helped by the church?

Corrupt politicians have embezzled fortunes - money that should have gone into keeping the country functional. They can open up their Swiss accounts before they start panhandling.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 01:11:51 AM »

Hi all,

This is my first post here. 

The newspaper articles remind me of what happened in Russia after the Bolshevik Revolution.  Prior to that, the government used to try to make the monasteries care for all the sick and poor, but they didn't have enough people, money, or food to care for so many people.

After the Greeks fought the German Nazis in what is considered by many to have been the greatest resistance in Europe, they had to turn around and fight a bloody civil war against the Communists.  Even some of the clergy were Communists. 

Now the Communists are back, and then we hear about "oh look at how rich the Church is".

And, btw, isn't Hurriyet an Israeli paper?  I seem to recall they've printed articles about the Greek Patriarch there, and that the Greek Orthodox Church actually owns the ground on which the Knesset and the Prime Minister's home rest. 

Always thought it ironic given the prophecy, "and the government will be on his shoulder".  Not sure what to make of that, but it is doubly ironic if an Israeli paper is agitating for the Greek Orthodox to sell of their property, some of which is in Israel.

Any comments?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »

Hi all,

This is my first post here.  

The newspaper articles remind me of what happened in Russia after the Bolshevik Revolution.  Prior to that, the government used to try to make the monasteries care for all the sick and poor, but they didn't have enough people, money, or food to care for so many people.

After the Greeks fought the German Nazis in what is considered by many to have been the greatest resistance in Europe, they had to turn around and fight a bloody civil war against the Communists.  Even some of the clergy were Communists.  

Now the Communists are back, and then we hear about "oh look at how rich the Church is".

And, btw, isn't Hurriyet an Israeli paper?  I seem to recall they've printed articles about the Greek Patriarch there, and that the Greek Orthodox Church actually owns the ground on which the Knesset and the Prime Minister's home rest.  

Always thought it ironic given the prophecy, "and the government will be on his shoulder".  Not sure what to make of that, but it is doubly ironic if an Israeli paper is agitating for the Greek Orthodox to sell of their property, some of which is in Israel.

Any comments?

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Haaretz is the Israeli newspaper http://www.haaretz.com/

Hurriyet is a Turkish newspaper.  Turkey and Israel have questionable relations at the moment.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:22:47 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 01:22:25 AM »

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Hurriyet is a Turkish newspaper.  Turkey and Israel have questionable relations at the moment.

[/quote]

Oh yes, I should have taken a moment to look.  I'd forgotten.  Yes, they've had a falling out.  Wonder what Turkey's strategy is, while they are drilling alongside Cyprus. 

Thanks for the welcome.  Hope I did the quote part correctly.  Guess I'll find out as soon as I click the 'post' button.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:17 AM »

Correction to your first quoting attempt:

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Hurriyet is a Turkish newspaper.  Turkey and Israel have questionable relations at the moment.

Oh yes, I should have taken a moment to look.  I'd forgotten.  Yes, they've had a falling out.  Wonder what Turkey's strategy is, while they are drilling alongside Cyprus.
Thanks for the welcome.  Hope I did the quote part correctly.  Guess I'll find out as soon as I click the 'post' button.

You'll have many chances to quote people here.  Before you know it , quoting will be like breathing.   Cheesy

Quote from: SolEX01

This is quoted text - just make sure the beginning and end braces are in place.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »

Hope I did the quote part correctly.  Guess I'll find out as soon as I click the 'post' button.

Welcome to the forum Smiley   Fwiw you can preview your post before posting it (something I don't do nearly often enough!)

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 01:51:29 AM »

okay, I tried, but this may take some figuring.

I will keep practicing.

Thanks for the assistance Asteriktos and SOLEX01 !

WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »

It doesn't say x can't have y.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:53:38 PM by WPM » Logged
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »

Is this News truth?

Generally, people have different ideas of what constitutes "wealth" ...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:57:48 PM by WPM » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »

You know, that's something to think about. In the U.S., where I live, a number of churches own hospitals. The Roman Catholics do, the Episcopalians do, the Methodists do, etc. (This is why you'll see places named "Methodist Hospital" or "St. Joseph" and so on.) There are also plenty of private hospitals, named after people or companies. Anyway, back to the point: I've thought a lot about whether it's ethical for a church to own big businesses. Sometimes I still scratch my head about it. At least a hospital is something that helps people.  Undecided

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

Yeah, one of the best hospitals in this area is UPMC Presbyterian...

"UPMC Presbyterian had its beginnings in 1893, when it was founded by Louise Lyle, the wife of a Presbyterian minister."

See when I think about these things I wonder when the Orthodox in America will build something like that. Perhaps the numbers are still too small and there is too much administrative division for something like that, I dunno. Or maybe it's that things have changed so much and it'd be so expensive and competitive to do it now.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »

You know, that's something to think about. In the U.S., where I live, a number of churches own hospitals. The Roman Catholics do, the Episcopalians do, the Methodists do, etc. (This is why you'll see places named "Methodist Hospital" or "St. Joseph" and so on.) There are also plenty of private hospitals, named after people or companies. Anyway, back to the point: I've thought a lot about whether it's ethical for a church to own big businesses. Sometimes I still scratch my head about it. At least a hospital is something that helps people.  Undecided

also you will see that those hospitals are Non-Profit organizations.  That is not the case with all hospitals. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: