OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 06:41:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Share Your Pity-Party Here!  (Read 4850 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: October 06, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »

Everyone needs to have a pity-party every once in a while to let off our steam and depression. Ever get into those moods where you are having a bad day/week/month/year/life and nothing seems to be going your way, so you become all moody and start to contemplate on your problems, and thus, you go into a pity-party where nothing else matters except for you, and so you keep acting all whiny constantly complaining that the world owes you all the while expressing a 'woe-is-me' type outlook on everything?

Well this is the thread for you! For anyone out there who is having a rough time and needs to have a pity-party, feel free to have it here! Share your misery and angst right here and have a whiny tantrum. All pity-parties are welcome! You may leave your hopes and dreams on the coat hanger by the front door. Go on and complain, whine, cry and wallow in your own self pity!

I'll start it off. Woe is me, why can't anything ever go my way? I'm constantly babysitting, I want to masturbate and be an animal but God won't let me because He wants me to become a god, how the hell am I going to be able to afford college someday? why does my teacher always assign me stupid 'activity work' that requires effort, creativity and actual working opposed to good old fashioned written test work that I could lazily finish in five to ten minutes by just finding the answers in the textbook without even reading anything? I hate all this crap.

Your turn!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:21:50 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »

I'm greatly edified by reading this  Undecided

Ok, here's one: I don't like it that there is no Orthodox parish within 30 minutes of where I live
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:35:31 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »

Side effects of accutane.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »

I want to masturbate and be an animal but God won't let me because He wants me to become a god

Why would you want to share that on the internet?  Huh

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »

I work 12 hours everyday, sometimes on weekends. I would work longer, but then I would bust the rules and couldn't work as long the next day, which would get me in trouble. I always leave with more work to finish for the next day. I only have enough time to get my kids in bed before I need to fall asleep.

LOL on your homework.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:32:12 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »

I'm greatly edified by reading this  Undecided

Ok, here's one: I don't like it that there is no Orthodox parish within 30 minutes of where I live

45 minutes  Cry
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »

My life is boring, I can't get a drivers license because my vision is too bad. I can't do anything spontaneously because I live far away from everything, the nearest orthodox parish is over two hours away, it has rained for 3 weeks in a row now and I can't step outside without an umbrella. I'm dreaming of packing a back and just go far, far away, but know that it will probably never happen. I know nobody who shares any of my interests and I use way to much time on the computer.

Ahh, that feels great.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »

I had to move 1,200 miles away from my home area (that's 1931.21 kilometres for my European friends) before I found a church to go to. And I couldn't go today because I was sick since Thursday night...now I'm okay (I think...I hope, since I'm going to have dinner in about an hour), and they won't even do liturgy over again today specifically for me! What the heck? Now I have to wait 2 weeks for the next one. Life!

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »

Life!

LOL. This thread should be titled "FML".

I'm going to need this.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »

I'm greatly edified by reading this  Undecided

45 minutes  Cry
I have more formal education than most BS/BA graduates and still cannot afford to move out of home, even though I am cheap.
My mom will be on oxygen soon and will eventually die of a terminal condition while dealing with chronic illness in the meantime.
I have really bad asthma and work in a place that is is not so great for my lungs. I need a better job so I can move to a healthier place.
I need a good man with whom I have mutual interest and a future, and I need to find and use the right chance to learn a foreign language.
Either I have posture issues or chronic migraine or something, but I cannot go more than a couple days without a one-sided headache. This has been the case for over a decade.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:53:48 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »

No one likes my would-be halloween costume (see avatar)  Cry
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »

I work 12 hours everyday, sometimes on weekends. I would work longer, but then I would bust the rules and couldn't work as long the next day, which would get me in trouble. I always leave with more work to finish for the next day. I only have enough time to get my kids in bed before I need to fall asleep.

LOL on your homework.
With that schedule when did you find time to make the kids?
In the late spring through late summer of 2010 I worked three jobs. I was cursing out lout all the time. That experience definitely moved me to hate capitalist economy with passion.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »

LOL on your homework.
In the late spring through late summer of 2010 I worked three jobs. I was cursing out lout all the time. That experience definitely moved me to hate capitalist economy with passion.

Vacations. Tongue

I'm going to need this.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »

I thought you always looked like that? Huh  Grin

I'm going to need this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

My life is boring, I can't get a drivers license because my vision is too bad. I can't do anything spontaneously because I live far away from everything, the nearest orthodox parish is over two hours away, it has rained for 3 weeks in a row now and I can't step outside without an umbrella. I'm dreaming of packing a back and just go far, far away, but know that it will probably never happen. I know nobody who shares any of my interests and I use way to much time on the computer.

Ahh, that feels great.

Plus, aren't you Scandinavian? All of your food is neutrally colored. Smiley

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:09:29 PM »

I had to move 1,200 miles away from my home area (that's 1931.21 kilometres for my European friends) before I found a church to go to. And I couldn't go today because I was sick since Thursday night...now I'm okay (I think...I hope, since I'm going to have dinner in about an hour), and they won't even do liturgy over again today specifically for me! What the heck? Now I have to wait 2 weeks for the next one. Life!

Plus, when you tell people you're Orthodox, the next time they see you they want to give you the copy of the Acts of Chalcedon they found in their grandmother's attic. When you tell them you're Coptic, they back away sheepishly as if you have some sort of disease. When you explain about the church, they freak out over turbaned priests and think you're followers of an Ayatollah. At the end of the day, your prayer rule consists of praying for God's mercy while banging your head against the wall. It's a sad life.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »

45 minutes  Cry
I have more formal education than most BS/BA graduates and still cannot afford to move out of home, even though I am cheap.
My mom will be on oxygen soon and will eventually die of a terminal condition while dealing with chronic illness in the meantime.
I have really bad asthma and work in a place that is is not so great for my lungs. I need a better job so I can move to a healthier place.
I need a good man with whom I have mutual interest and a future, and I need to find and use the right chance to learn a foreign language.
Either I have posture issues or chronic migraine or something, but I cannot go more than a couple days without a one-sided headache. This has been the case for over a decade.

Perhaps you can find a nice man in a bilingual medical issue support group in Arizona.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »

LOL on your homework.

Maybe there was a non-fasting non-festal Monday vacation day. Memorial Day and Labor Day are usually good days for all that. It's like divine providence.

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 11:15:05 PM »

I woke up this morning, looked in the fridge...no beer! No Salmon! No berries! I had to eat like a peasant...

Forgive my sins.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »

I woke up this morning, looked in the fridge...no beer! No Salmon! No berries! I had to eat like a peasant...

Oh man. No beer for breakfast. That sucks. Was there at least enough whisky to put on your cereal? Perhaps some leftover hakarl hanging around? I guess putting whisky on cereal would make hakarl more appetizing in the morning.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »

ITT: first world problems

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »

Trevor's pity party.  Let the pretentious self loathing ensue!

Golly gee.  My life sucks sometimes.  It's hard to keep my head held high when my friends are all dropping like flies.  They have problems with life, so they just check out early.  What's to stop me from doing this?  Ah, that's right, everything.  I hate that my dad seems to have all this money but acts like he has none when my sister and I need school supplies and such.  I don't know how I'm going to pay for university.  I definitely qualify for lots of financial aid, and am applying for grants and scholarships, but if Romney/Ryan are elected, who knows how long that'll last.  I just hope that we're able to afford food and gas at the end of the month.  It's gotten better, but it's still a bit of a worry.  It's too bad that my godfather hasn't spoken to me since I left the Orthodox Church, I sure used to like him.  My Orthodox friends treat me like I've committed spiritual suicide or something.  HELLO?!  I'M STILL A CHRISTIAN.  I wonder when I'll feel like an adult.  I'm well into my 18th year.  Everyone else acts so mature and thinks they know everything - I'm still far behind that.  Maybe it's because I don't get out much (you know it's bad when you reach 2,000 posts on a religious internet forum and you're only 18).  Why can't I get a tan?  Why must I be so pale?  Why must everyone point out that I've got light hair, eyes and skin?  My British grandfather was also pale, I wonder how he dealt with it.  Then there's the whole gay thing, but I don't know if we're allowed to talk about that at the present time...

So that's that...

This was sort of fun, I must admit  Grin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:25:07 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:51 PM »

I think it's swell  Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »

Oh man. No beer for breakfast. That sucks. Was there at least enough whisky to put on your cereal? Perhaps some leftover hakarl hanging around? I guess putting whisky on cereal would make hakarl more appetizing in the morning.

All I had was wine...I hate wine...but I love to w(h)ine... laugh

Forgive my sins.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:37 PM »

Plus, when you tell people you're Orthodox, the next time they see you they want to give you the copy of the Acts of Chalcedon they found in their grandmother's attic. When you tell them you're Coptic, they back away sheepishly as if you have some sort of disease. When you explain about the church, they freak out over turbaned priests and think you're followers of an Ayatollah. At the end of the day, your prayer rule consists of praying for God's mercy while banging your head against the wall. It's a sad life.

Wow. It's like you're spying on me or something. Wink

No, actually the only thing that's happened like that so far is that my father thought I was converting to Islam because once he heard me listening to the Verses of the Cymbals chanted by Gad Lewis and assumed it was Islamic chant. He seemed very concerned, and confused after I told him it was traditional Christian chant (he's in an anti-trinitarian cult, though, so he wouldn't know anything about Christian anything). I'm not sure whether it's clear yet to him or the rest of my family (mostly Catholics and agnostics) what Coptic Orthodoxy is, but oh well. My hippie/rasta cousin thought it was cool because he's heard of Tewahedo thanks to all the music he listens to. Eh...I'll take it, I guess. It's better than thinking I'm a secret Muslim.

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 12:28:14 AM »

My roommate ate my salsa again.  Argh!
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »

Throw his pillow in the dumpster.  angel

I'm going to need this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 12:46:22 AM »

All I had was wine...I hate wine...but I love to w(h)ine... laugh

Only one thing to do with wine...distill it and make brandy. Invite Georgians. Have party. Sing and dance all night. Pass out while Georgians are still going.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »

Throw his pillow in the dumpster.  angel

Rub it with ghost chilies. He'll think it was the salsa.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »

More self loathing. Tonight after dinner I have to wash the dishes, I gotta wake up early on a Sunday tommorow to attend that Divine Liturgy when I'd rather be at home drinking coffee watching television, my little brother drives me insane and whenever I go anywhere my mother makes me take him with me, I need new shoes and I was just at the store but I forgot to look for some, my mother said that I go through coffee too fast and that she is only going to start buying so much a month and that if I run out early then that's my fault. I can't do it. I'll die without my coffee. My maternal grandmother is a crazy Mexican lapsed Catholic alcoholic who always asks awkward question about my my Orthodoxy or tries to make it difficult for my by specifically pointing out to everyone that I'm 'different'. Yet, my mother still makes me visit this crazy old woman when I'd rather not see her. I saw a Macbook Air laptop at the store earlier today and I really wanted it but I could not afford it. Woe is me.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 02:20:20 AM »

I gotta wake up early on a Sunday tommorow to attend that Divine Liturgy when I'd rather be at home drinking coffee watching television

No one makes you go...

my mother still makes me visit this crazy old woman when I'd rather not see her.

She is your grandmother. Be lucky you still have one.

Forgive my sins.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 02:25:29 AM »

...She is your grandmother. Be lucky you still have one.

You don't understand my grandmother. She's rotten to the core (at least from what I have observed). When my mother was growing up she abused my mother and allowed my mother's older siblings to all pick on her, and in one instance she kicked my mother out when she was a teenager and pointed a gun at her saying she'd kill her if she didn't listen. That's when my mom became real close to my father and they conceived and then had me. My grandmother also takes full advantage of me. I'm her only grandkid that visits her and she still scolds me and teases me in mean ways that are going way too far. She's always drinking as well. For God's sake, that woman drinks while she is driving and has made me hold her beer for her while she was driving and snuck Brandy into Disneyland when I was 11.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 02:32:58 AM »

...She is your grandmother. Be lucky you still have one.

You don't understand my grandmother. She's rotten to the core (at least from what I have observed). When my mother was growing up she abused my mother and allowed my mother's older siblings to all pick on her, and in one instance she kicked my mother out when she was a teenager and pointed a gun at her saying she'd kill her if she didn't listen. That's when my mom became real close to my father and they conceived and then had me. My grandmother also takes full advantage of me. I'm her only grandkid that visits her and she still scolds me and teases me in mean ways that are going way too far. She's always drinking as well. For God's sake, that woman drinks while she is driving and has made me hold her beer for her while she was driving and snuck Brandy into Disneyland when I was 11.

Trust me, you aren't the only one with a family member like that. I could spend hours going into detail of my father's drug use, alcoholism, and abuse of my mother, but I won't. My father passed away, and I love him, and I miss him. He is my father, just as that lady is your grandmother. Keep forgiving, and never stop loving.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:33:35 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 02:56:17 AM »

I gotta wake up early on a Sunday tommorow to attend that Divine Liturgy when I'd rather be at home drinking coffee watching television

No one makes you go...

my mother still makes me visit this crazy old woman when I'd rather not see her.

She is your grandmother. Be lucky you still have one.
Indeed.  All of my grandparents died when I was young and now I only have one parent alive.  Love them while you have the chance.  Once they are gone, you do not want to be filled with regret the rest of your life.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 03:06:18 AM »

Everybody's grandmother is crazy, James. And the older they get, the crazier they get. It's one of the privileges of living to be very, very old (I'm excited for it, personally). My grandmother was a crazy Mexican lapsed Catholic, too, and she probably only didn't drink because she didn't need any help from the bottle to be crazy (though she did get into a huge fight with my uncle one year at Christmas because she insisted on having a beer with her yule log and he didn't want her to because she was old and frail...that was pretty funny, looking back on it). Then there was the time she announced over Thanksgiving (post-stroke, from her wheelchair) that she was going to travel to Kenya for vacation and that whoever wanted to come with her had only to volunteer to push her everywhere. There were no takers, and then a giant argument ensued because she refused to believe my aunt and my cousins, all of whom insisted that Kenya is not wheelchair accessible. "What do YOU know? I've been to Egypt! It's the same thing! You people don't know anything. Idiots." Then there was the time...oh, nevermind...I better stop now, or I'm going to tear up.

I miss that crazy old woman. God help me, I'd give anything to listen to another half an hour of her crazy, pro-Marxist (she learned this stuff when she was about 85 years old from an old Jewish man that she had a crush on at the senior's center; "of course it's sensible -- HE'S JEWISH!"), pro-Schwartzeneggar-groping ("What? It just means that he likes women. When did that become a crime? Does everybody in California have to be gay?") rants. May God have mercy on her soul.

Grandparents are the best. They're like your parents, but everything about your parents that drives you crazy drove them crazy already years and years ago. Voila -- instant bonding.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 03:24:02 AM »

Here's mine: i have agoraphobia and haven't been further then 15 miles from my home since 1999. Don't fly, do buses or trains. Since then I've missed all my niece's and nephew's graduations, my niece's wedding, my last aunt's funeral, my brother in law's funeral (which really hurt..he died suddenly at 41 yrs old).
counseling therapy and meds have not helped me at all.
We're invited to a party tommorow afternoon in an unfamiliar part of town, I'm hoping I can make it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:25:45 AM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 03:27:10 AM »

45 minutes  Cry

Perhaps you can find a nice man in a bilingual medical issue support group in Arizona.
I don't think I would gain as much medically from a bilingual support group as I would from a different job a few cities over from here, and a man like that in Arizona would probably speak Spanish, not Russian, Arabic, or Armenian.

Sue me and screw this world. My heard says Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa are cool. Why must I live in a place where people tell me to learn Spanish or Mandarin?  I should have trusted myself more sooner.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:29:42 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 03:49:11 AM »

What's wrong with Spanish or Mandarin? I speak Russian and Arabic (sort of; 6-7 years of one, only 1 of the other, but I'm picking up more in bits and pieces from church). I don't know why that's better than whatever other language might actually be useful where you live.

I don't really care for Arizona, though. New Mexico is hot enough for me. I think I would die from heat exhaustion/being subtly annoyed to death by well-meaning Coptic friends if I were in the Middle East. They're already like everybody's stereotypical nosy aunt ("you're eating that wrong", "why don't buy a nice v-neck shirt?", "why don't you like Amr Diab?", "we have to find you a nice Egyptian girl!")...and that's here in America...and that's just the men! Shocked
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:50:04 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 03:52:43 AM »

What's wrong with Spanish or Mandarin? I speak Russian and Arabic (sort of; 6-7 years of one, only 1 of the other, but I'm picking up more in bits and pieces from church). I don't know why that's better than whatever other language might actually be useful where you live.

I don't really care for Arizona, though. New Mexico is hot enough for me. I think I would die from heat exhaustion/being subtly annoyed to death by well-meaning Coptic friends if I were in the Middle East. They're already like everybody's stereotypical nosy aunt ("you're eating that wrong", "why don't buy a nice v-neck shirt?", "why don't you like Amr Diab?", "we have to find you a nice Egyptian girl!")...and that's here in America...and that's just the men! Shocked
It's better because it is a language that comes from a place that has captured my imagination and curiosity for years.

I remember being 5 or 6 years old and looking at a globe, contemplating the dichotomy of perspectives I was presented with of the Soviet Union. I still want to go there someday. Russian is more beautiful. Hola only sometimes sounds cool. Zdrazvootya cannot help but sound cool.

I saw this development job that would have been awesome, totally qualified for it by education and experience, dealing with a place that interests me more than Mexico, and the catch was that they needed someone bilingual in a language relevant to Africa, not exactly Spanish is it?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:59:53 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 03:58:26 AM »

45 minutes  Cry

I don't think I would gain as much medically from a bilingual support group as I would from a different job a few cities over from here, and a man like that in Arizona would probably speak Spanish, not Russian, Arabic, or Armenian.

Sue me and screw this world. My heard says Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa are cool. Why must I live in a place where people tell me to learn Spanish or Mandarin?  I should have trusted myself more sooner.
The United States?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 04:02:23 AM »

There are two reasons I decline to post my pity party.

1) I believe in overcoming adversity.
2) I believe I would be blocked after posting a 47 page post. Grin
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 04:04:39 AM »

There are two reasons I decline to post my pity party.

1) I believe in overcoming adversity.
2) I believe I would be blocked after posting a 47 page post. Grin
1) Tru dat. I am still formulating my plan myself.
2) Perhaps so. Then again, perhaps not.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 04:14:00 AM »

I don't know...if I were you I'd imagine somewhere a little less dangerous, but then I am cranky and un-fun. There's nothing that says you can't learn Russian or Arabic or whatever else where you are, of course, just because other people want you to learn something else. I dunno if you're near Phoenix, but if you are there are places like this that teach Russian (never heard of it before, but it came up when I searched for "learn Russian in Arizona"). If you're in Scottsdale, you can go to St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church and make the acquaintance of Fr. Marcus Mansour and everyone else there and no doubt they will be more than happy to immerse you in Arabic. Smiley They're all very nice people. There is another Coptic Church in AZ served by Fr. Philemon Hanna, but I'm not sure where it is as I've never been to it (both of these wonderful priests serve us here in Albuquerque). I figure there must be lots of Arabic speakers in Arizona if the state supports two Coptic churches, though I also know that Fr. Marcus' church has Ethiopians, Assyrians, white people, etc., not just Egyptians/Arabic-speakers. Maybe Armenians, too, though I don't recall meeting any when I was there. (There used to be Armenians here in Albuquerque, too, but I guess they stopped attending before I arrived.)

Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »

NO SALMON??  Shocked

How can you still be alive?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2012, 05:54:25 AM »

Ahh, that feels great.

Plus, aren't you Scandinavian? All of your food is neutrally colored. Smiley

Oh, you get used to that. Scandinavian food is great (well, except norwegian pudding).

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: