OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:47:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Sanity!  (Read 7272 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »

U.S. States Make Opting Out of Vaccinations Harder

More than ten years after a study in The Lancet falsely linked autism to the measles, mumps and rubella triple vaccine, evidence of reduced immunization rates and rising incidence of disease are spurring politicians to try to make up lost ground.

California has tightened the laws that allow parents in the state to opt out of immunization for their children. It now joins Washington and Vermont in requiring parents who want an exemption to demonstrate that they have received factual information about the risks and benefits of vaccination from a health-care practitioner or the state’s health department...
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

I don't consider huge state control over people's daily lives to be an increase in sanity, but whatever floats your boat.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:49:21 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:33:44 PM »

Saving lives floats my boat.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »

Join the coastguards.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:47:59 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »

I can't swim.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »

That's what the floating boat is for.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:47:53 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »

If I fell overboard I'd die. I'll stick with land. And pontificating on the internet.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »

Asteriktos, I think you may get more responses if you get rid of that scary avatar. Scared the crap out of me LOL.
     I remember when the scare over that vaccination was really casing some concern. I actually waited a few years to vaccinate my youngest. My feeling is that the real concern over Autism might actually be more related with the age of the reproductive parents verses and known agent. Many families these days don't start having children until the adults are in there late reproductive years. Sometimes in there late 40's and early 50's. The general mindset today is to form a career before starting a family and that sort of drives visions of a family life into those late years unfortunately.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 02:10:50 PM »

Asteriktos, I think you may get more responses if you get rid of that scary avatar. Scared the crap out of me LOL.
     I remember when the scare over that vaccination was really casing some concern. I actually waited a few years to vaccinate my youngest. My feeling is that the real concern over Autism might actually be more related with the age of the reproductive parents verses and known agent. Many families these days don't start having children until the adults are in there late reproductive years. Sometimes in there late 40's and early 50's. The general mindset today is to form a career before starting a family and that sort of drives visions of a family life into those late years unfortunately.

My Mom once believed the urban legends about vaccinations. Then I got mumps. Then Dad made her take me for the shots.

Score one for science.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »

I don't consider huge state control over people's daily lives to be an increase in sanity, but whatever floats your boat.

It's not your lives but the lives of your children. What I don't like is parents considering their children their property thinking that they can do/opt out of doing anything for their children just because it is 'their children' even when it harms their children.

I for one am happy that the state is finally doing something to crack down on crazy parents.  You don't know how many weirdo Evangelicals I've met who believe in all these weird conspiracies that vaccines are bad for you and that they should not get them for their children even though modern children have been getting them for years and nothing bad happens to them. Likewise, there are also the crazy religious parents who don't want to get their teenagers vaccinated for certain illnesses just because they can be contracted sexually or orally. These people should not have the right to put their teenagers in danger like that just because of their religious beliefs. Sure you have the right to teach your religion to your children, but to force your religion on them to the extent that it threatens their physical health is going too far.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »

I'm old enough to remember seeing kids in calipers, crippled by polio, at school. Of seeing kids and adults in iron lungs. And seeing others maimed or dying from other easily-preventable diseases. "Huge state control over people's daily lives"? My eye.  Angry

Young 'uns today have no historical awareness.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »

It's not your lives but the lives of your children. What I don't like is parents considering their children their property thinking that they can do/opt out of doing anything for their children just because it is 'their children' even when it harms their children.

I for one am happy that the state is finally doing something to crack down on crazy parents.  You don't know how many weirdo Evangelicals I've met who believe in all these weird conspiracies that vaccines are bad for you and that they should not get them for their children even though modern children have been getting them for years and nothing bad happens to them. Likewise, there are also the crazy religious parents who don't want to get their teenagers vaccinated for certain illnesses just because they can be contracted sexually or orally. These people should not have the right to put their teenagers in danger like that just because of their religious beliefs. Sure you have the right to teach your religion to your children, but to force your religion on them to the extent that it threatens their physical health is going too far.

I know just what you mean.  My old science teacher was one of those conservative evangelical nutters, and she used to go on and on about "Obamacare" and the evils of the govt. forcing children to be vaccinated.  Roll Eyes

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »

I don't get it. Why would anybody think that vaccinations are bad?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »

I don't get it. Why would anybody think that vaccinations are bad?

It's not that people think that the vaccinations themselves are bad, it's the principle of the matter.  People don't like to be told what to do by the government.  Not everyone believes that the government always has our best interest at heart (fair enough).

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »

Monsters. That is what these people are. Even if vaccines are as safe as the state claims, forcing society to accept such things is nothing short of tyrannical (no telling what the state will deem being properly "informed"). Orthodoxy is great for people too, but I am not exactly ready to ban heresy and force people into conversion at gunpoint (unless they have a "proper" theological understanding of the issues). The more you give to the temporal powers, the more they will expect and demand. Let the state force vaccines down the people's throat today and you will be paving the way to likewise have the state mandate whatever other things they perceive as "beneficial". This is an issue of freedom, not health.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:19:36 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

Education is always the key to change for the better.

Forcing something on people generally creates other problems worse than the original issue.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:14:18 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »

Monsters. That is what these people are. Even if vaccines are as safe as the state claims, forcing society to accept such things is nothing short of tyrannical (no telling what the state will deem being properly "informed"). Orthodoxy is great for people too, but I am not exactly ready to ban heresy and force people into conversion at gunpoint (unless they have a "proper" theological understanding of the issues). The more you give to the temporal powers, the more they will expect and demand. Let the state force vaccines down the people's throat today and you will be paving the way to likewise have the state mandate whatever other things they perceive as "beneficial". This is an issue of freedom, not health.

Yeah, it was great to have the freedom to catch mumps.  Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »

Because no one catches mumps from the vaccine itself...

Regardless, I have the freedom to go to hell, why not the freedom to avoid vaccines?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:33:12 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 09:33:17 PM »

No, they don't. I caught it before they gave me the vaccine. What do you not understand?

Opinions like yours aren't just the ones that don't matter (I like team xyz, I like such-and-such ice cream). They kill people.

spcasuncoast.org
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

Yeah, it was great to have the freedom to catch mumps.  Roll Eyes

No, they don't. I caught it before they gave me the vaccine. What do you not understand?

Opinions like yours aren't just the ones that don't matter (I like team xyz, I like such-and-such ice cream). They kill people.
All vaccines carry the risk of you actually catching the sickness itself.

But obesity kills, are you ready for a national diet? Heresy damns, are you ready for Orthodox totalitarianism?

Thanks for the offer of a dysatopic future though. I will stick with freedom.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:45:53 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »

So many fallacies that I do not even know where to start derailing your post. If you honestly think that forcing someone to get vaccinated/vaccinate their children is the same thing as forcing someone to convert to Orthodoxy then I feel sorrt with you. The difference is that when you do not receive vaccinations, not only do you put yourself at danger, but you put other people at danger of contracting particular illnesses. Therefore, the collective wellbeing of the people overrules the individual. On the other hand, forcing someone to convert to Orthodoxy is different because whether or not they are Orthodox will--in most cases at least--not affect/harm anyone else other than themselves. Likewise, children do not possess the intellectual capacity to decide for themselves whether or not they should receive vaccinations, so therefore it falls under the parents' responsibility to handle it. And parents should not be allowed to refuse their children vaccinations--which would harm their childrens' health, just because they are conspiracists or some religious nuts. And even further, should not send their unvaccinated children to public schools where they risk spreading illnesses to other children.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:48:03 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »

The government has an obligation to protect public safety. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness don't mean anything if you're dead. The government also has the right to pass laws. Read the Constitution sometime. Don't like it? Live somewhere else.

Would you have been ranting about absolutist 'freedom' during the flu epidemic of 1918? I guess not. I've never heard anyone say, "I like this horrible disease I've got. I want to die."

You go ahead and catch things and die. I like life. I don't believe in the 'freedom' of your children to pass on whooping cough to others. Sorry.

spcasuncoast.org
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »

But obesity kills, are you ready for a national diet? Heresy damns, are you ready for Orthodox totalitarianism?

Neither a person's obesity or heresy affects and/or harms anyone else other than themselves, so to answer your questions, no, we are not ready for a national diet or totalitarian Orthodox state. However, as I pointed out in your last post, not receiving your vaccines/not getting your children their vaccines carries the risk of not only harming the persons in question but other people as well. So for the collective state of the people, we should overrule the 'rights' of the individual and make vaccinations mandatory.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 09:59:19 PM »

The difference is that when you do not receive vaccinations, not only do you put yourself at danger, but you put other people at danger of contracting particular illnesses. Therefore, the collective wellbeing of the people overrules the individual. On the other hand, forcing someone to convert to Orthodoxy is different because whether or not they are Orthodox will--in most cases at least--not affect/harm anyone else other than themselves. Likewise, children do not possess the intellectual capacity to decide for themselves whether or not they should receive vaccinations, so therefore it falls under the parents' responsibility to handle it. And parents should not be allowed to refuse their children vaccinations--which would harm their childrens' health, just because they are conspiracists or some religious nuts. And even further, should not send their unvaccinated children to public schools where they risk spreading illnesses to other children.
Not true. The unconverted are quite apt at spreading heresy. Parents are likewise able to instruct their children in blasphemous teachings. All of these things are to the detriment of their immortal souls - something much more important than life.

And sorry, but I don't buy utilitarian BS about the collective good and its superiority to individual rights. Such is the talk of tyrants and despots. Life has risks.

Question though, why do you fear unvaccinated children spreading sickness to the vaccinated ones? Wouldn't that make the vaccination moot?

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »

Not true. The unconverted are quite apt at spreading heresy. Parents are likewise able to instruct their children in blasphemous teachings. All of these things are to the detriment of their immortal souls - something much more important than life.

Spreading heresy is not the same as spreading illness. People possess the freedom of whether or not they want to accept heresy or not whereas in most cases people cannot choose whether they contract illnesses or not. Likewise, it is not the purpose nor the concern of the earthly government to interfere with the conditions of our 'immortal souls'--something in which we do not even know if it exists. That's the job of God and the Church.

And sorry, but I don't buy utilitarian BS about the collective good and its superiority to individual rights. Such is the talk of tyrants and despots. Life has risks.

Well I don't buy into the Ayn Rand BS about individual rights and spoiled individuals being able to negatively affect the entire population just because of their 'individual rights' crap. Such talk is the talk of Satan and is the philosophy of right-wing despots and tyrants. Satan was the ultimate objectivist.

Question though, why do you fear unvaccinated children spreading sickness to the vaccinated ones? Wouldn't that make the vaccination moot?

It is about taking precautions. Sure the vaccinations are supposed to prevent the illnesses from being contracted, and in most case they do prevent that from happening, but you can never be fully certain, and so it is better to make it mandatory for everyone who is going to be a part of the society to become vaccinated, so that we can further decrease the chances of other children contracting an illness.

Likewise, parents do not have the rights to refuse their children vaccinations either in my mind. I don't give a hell about your 'but it's my religious freedom hur hurr' bullcrap that religious nut parents say when they try to force their religion upon their child or mistreat their child because of differing religions.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 10:12:53 PM »

If you don't believe forced immunizations cause problems, ask some veterans.

At one point, the FDA actually made companies do more reasearch before making medicine available, like 20+ years.  Now, not so much, and we see the results.  Law suits, people dying and those same "great" meds getting shelfed.  I will now forever be weary of any new medical development.  Give it 5 to 10 years and see what happens.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »

The government has an obligation to protect public safety. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness don't mean anything if you're dead. The government also has the right to pass laws. Read the Constitution sometime. Don't like it? Live somewhere else.
Liberty doesn't mean anything unless you actually have it. Sorry, but I don't worship the Constitution (not that it grants vaccine fanatics the right to pursue their agenda anyway - Amendments IV, V, and XIV). I also don't ally myself with the Washington regime either. I am much more happy with biding time until we can get a real secessionist movement going again, so I will kindly decline your offer of "leaving".

Would you have been ranting about absolutist 'freedom' during the flu epidemic of 1918? I guess not. I've never heard anyone say, "I like this horrible disease I've got. I want to die."

You go ahead and catch things and die. I like life. I don't believe in the 'freedom' of your children to pass on whooping cough to others. Sorry.
Actually, you just don't believe in freedom. Freedom is risky thing. You seem much more content with serfdom and your chains. I prefer freedom and all the risks/dangers it affords. That is superior to slavery, regardless of the safety it provides.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »

Perhaps we should lice powder and shave bald every child in school as well?

You suggested we read the Constitution.  I actually keep a copy on my desk.  When I read it, I see the limits of government.  Can you show me where it says big brother can force is into getting any medical procedure?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:19:38 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »

Spreading heresy is not the same as spreading illness. People possess the freedom of whether or not they want to accept heresy or not whereas in most cases people cannot choose whether they contract illnesses or not. Likewise, it is not the purpose nor the concern of the earthly government to interfere with the conditions of our 'immortal souls'--something in which we do not even know if it exists. That's the job of God and the Church.
How much "freedom" do children possess in accepting/rejecting the teachings of their parents?

Well I don't buy into the Ayn Rand BS about individual rights and spoiled individuals being able to negatively affect the entire population just because of their 'individual rights' crap. Such talk is the talk of Satan and is the philosophy of right-wing despots and tyrants. Satan was the ultimate objectivist.

That sir, is a strawman. Not once did I advocate objectivism. If you think individualism is limited to Randianism, then you are sadly mistaken. The founders, for instance, would be horrified by such collectivism.

What right-wing despots and tyrants supported individualism?

It is about taking precautions. Sure the vaccinations are supposed to prevent the illnesses from being contracted, and in most case they do prevent that from happening, but you can never be fully certain, and so it is better to make it mandatory for everyone who is going to be a part of the society to become vaccinated, so that we can further decrease the chances of other children contracting an illness.

Likewise, parents do not have the rights to refuse their children vaccinations either in my mind. I don't give a hell about your 'but it's my religious freedom hur hurr' bullcrap that religious nut parents say when they try to force their religion upon their child or mistreat their child because of differing religions.
You must really dislike the First Amendment. You know, the religious freedom "hu hurr' bullcrap".
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:47:22 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »

Yeah, like the religious freedom of Jehovah's Witnesses who let their kids die because they don't believe in blood transfusions. Or the Christian Scientists who let their kids die of viral infections because it's better to 'sweat it out' in prayer.

Excuse me, but St. Luke was a physician, and Our Lord was pleased to call him as an apostle. That's good enough for me.

spcasuncoast.org
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »

You suggested we read the Constitution.  I actually keep a copy on my desk.  When I read it, I see the limits of government.  Can you show me where it says big brother can force is into getting any medical procedure?

I've never heard of anyone getting into the military without getting a physical. The Constitution gives the government power over the military.

spcasuncoast.org
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »

I've never heard of anyone getting into the military without getting a physical. The Constitution gives the government power over the military.
You aren't reading the posts, rather skimming over them.  Additionally, many medical procedures can be refused for military members, but not all, so it isn't slavery.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:31:35 PM by Kerdy » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »

This is an interesting debate.  Let's suppose we are trying to eradicate a debilitating disease that is easily communicable.  Can you say you can use the Constitution just to give that person the freedom to not get treated despite how dangerous he is to others?

If the answer is yes, then what the state did is wrong.
If the answer is no, then there should even be forced vaccinations.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »

You aren't reading the posts, rather skimming over them.  Additionally, many medical procedures can be refused for military members, but not all, so it isn't slavery.

Lie. I read the posts. How would you even know?  Huh

spcasuncoast.org
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 11:03:02 PM »

Because you don't respond to them all.

Forgive my sins.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 11:19:23 PM »

Oh my!!!  You called me a liar.  Perhaps incorrect, but not a liar. 

How would I know?  Based off you lack of response to what is posted.  So, one of four things.  You aren't reading completely.  You don't understand (which I do not believe).  You don't care.  Or, you are attempting to respond in a shady manner.  In any event, it doesn't bother me if you want to cherry pick which parts of a post to want to address.  I sometimes do the same thing.  I just try to provide a more complete response is all.

But for clarification, entrance examinations into the military have absolutely nothing to do with what I posted.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »

I AGREE COMPLETELY.

5 children, no vaccines, and there are OTHER studies linking Autism to them.   Amazing how the money of big pharma keeps "debunking" the truth.  No problems either in my children's health at ALL.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »

This is an interesting debate.  Let's suppose we are trying to eradicate a debilitating disease that is easily communicable.  Can you say you can use the Constitution just to give that person the freedom to not get treated despite how dangerous he is to others?

This is different.

If 90% of the people chose vaccinations
and 10% chose NOT to vaccinate, the 10% are the ones at risk, not the 90%

It's about the freedom.
We chose NOT to vaccinate after multitudes of hours of study.

There are more sides to the argument that "whacky conspiracies" that people often accuse those against vaccines of following.  http://www.nvic.org/

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 11:30:15 PM »

For those of you far too young to remember:

Iron Lung:

A polio ward full of them:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:31:19 PM by LBK » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:43 PM »

This is different.

It's about the freedom.

There are more sides to the argument that "whacky conspiracies" that people often accuse those against vaccines of following.  http://www.nvic.org/

Yes, but on my way of trying to get the vaccine, it would be too late, and thanks to the 10%, my child got a disease that could have been prevented if they weren't 20 feet close to my child.

In this country, a person with known multiresistance TB can be forced to be hospitalized if not compliant with physicians, because he has become a potential danger to others.

If you're a walking unpredictable trigger, the Constitution does not protect you to be free to shoot around your bullet anywhere.

And I say this with the most respect possible.  It it at most times the really ignorant of people who prevent vaccines.  Forgive me, but Jenny McCarthy is not a good representative of mothers who wish to prevent autism for her children.  Rather than her promiscuous history, she should have gotten a science education.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:52:18 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »

U.S. States Make Opting Out of Vaccinations Harder

More than ten years after a study in The Lancet falsely linked autism to the measles, mumps and rubella triple vaccine, evidence of reduced immunization rates and rising incidence of disease are spurring politicians to try to make up lost ground.

California has tightened the laws that allow parents in the state to opt out of immunization for their children. It now joins Washington and Vermont in requiring parents who want an exemption to demonstrate that they have received factual information about the risks and benefits of vaccination from a health-care practitioner or the state’s health department...
A large contributor for the spread of disease is travel.  I wonder how long before people are forced to stay in their respective countries or in the USA, their respective states.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 01:30:34 AM »

For those of you far too young to remember:

Iron Lung:

A polio ward full of them:

An epidemic tends to have that effect.  Pandemic or less usually does not.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 01:34:24 AM »

This is an interesting debate.  Let's suppose we are trying to eradicate a debilitating disease that is easily communicable.  Can you say you can use the Constitution just to give that person the freedom to not get treated despite how dangerous he is to others?

This is different.

It's about the freedom.

There are more sides to the argument that "whacky conspiracies" that people often accuse those against vaccines of following.  http://www.nvic.org/

Yes, but on my way of trying to get the vaccine, it would be too late, and thanks to the 10%, my child got a disease that could have been prevented if they weren't 20 feet close to my child.

In this country, a person with known multiresistance TB can be forced to be hospitalized if not compliant with physicians, because he has become a potential danger to others.

If you're a walking unpredictable trigger, the Constitution does not protect you to be free to shoot around your bullet anywhere.

And I say this with the most respect possible.  It it at most times the really ignorant of people who prevent vaccines.  Forgive me, but Jenny McCarthy is not a good representative of mothers who wish to prevent autism for her children.  Rather than her promiscuous history, she should have gotten a science education.
Would you be for or against forcible confinement of those with none curable STDs?  They regularly engage in intercourse without ever telling their current partner of their disease, thus the massive spread of STDs.  What about fatal diseases?  Lock them up on an island for the safety of others?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:35:16 AM by Kerdy » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 02:08:12 AM »

How much "freedom" do children possess in accepting/rejecting the teachings of their parents?

Not very much at all. It really comes down to how much the parents are willing to let them--as I know from personal experience. It may interest you to know that I do actually oppose parents forcing their religion (especially heretical religions) onto their children and if it were a practical possibility to prevent them from doing it, then I would support that. But seeing that I cannot think of a practical way to prevent parents from religiously abusing their child, I am conceding political defeat to that, which is why instead I am advocating that the government stop parents from doing anything that physically harms and/or puts their children at a physical risk--even if it is motivated by their religion.

That sir, is a strawman. Not once did I advocate objectivism. If you think individualism is limited to Randianism, then you are sadly mistaken. The founders, for instance, would be horrified by such collectivism.

And that 'sir' is the pot calling the kettle black. In your previous post, you can dismiss my altruistic views about the collective population overruling individual rights as 'utilitarianist BS' then why can't I dismiss your individualism as 'Randianist BS'? Likewise, why are we even debating labels and names of philosophical systems of thought? Debate the philosophical systems in themselves. You say that you are an individualist, then explain and defend your individualism--whether it is Randian or not.

Try this guy along with Adolf Hitler and Mussolini.

You must really dislike the First Amendment. You know, the religious freedom "hu hurr' bullcrap".

I actually don't give a hell about what a document written 400 years ago specifically addressing problems and circumstances that people were facing 400 years ago by fallible men 400 years ago has to say. I've said it before and I will say it again that the Constitution is merely a list of guidelines in my eyes opposed to absolute authority. Going further though, yeah, religious freedom is a good thing, but only to an extent. You Christians in America are spoiled whiny brats too used to the whole country favoring you and favoring your ideological views. Religious freedom ends when it physically harms and/or impedes upon the lives and rights of other people--including your children. This is why we don't allow those crazy Jehova Witness/Christian Science types to reject blood transfusions to their children and why hopefully we will outlaw Jews and Muslims from circumcising their children.

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »

Adolf Hitler and Mussolini.

That is the most absurd thing I've ever read. Those people were against individualism more than about anyone in history...

Hitler was all about unifying the German people under one idea (ie Aryanism and/or a Germany for Germans only). Mussolini was about unifying the Italians under one government (ie Idea).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_race#Aryanism_and_Nazism

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:17:33 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: