OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:15:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking Gun on Sexism? [Women in Science]  (Read 294 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 03, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »

Study after study finds that many women feel unwelcome in laboratories and science departments, even after considerable progress in encouraging women to study science and technology fields. As these studies come out, there are almost always skeptics who say that whatever gender imbalance exists could well reflect different choices made, on average, by men and women, or who say that individual men are rising on their merits, not sexism.

But a new study in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences offers evidence of bias among scientists -- male and female scientists alike -- against female students. The study was based on evaluations by scientists of hypothetical student applications for a lab manager position, with the application materials identical in every way, except that half of the pool received applications with a male name and the other half received applications with a female name. The faculty members surveyed -- 127 professors in biology, chemistry or physics -- were told that their analyses of the applications would be used to help the students. And they were asked to evaluate the students' competence and "hireability" and to consider how large a salary they would recommend and how much mentoring they would offer the student if hired.

The scientists evaluating these applications (which were identical in every way except the gender of the "submitter") rated the male student more competent, more likely to be hired, deserving of a better salary, and worth spending more time mentoring. The gaps were significant.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »

meh.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »

I did a study within my occupation as well.  It revealed between men and women with the same qualifications who conducted substandard work, men were much more likely to be fired than the women.  In fact, only one female was released, but she was rehired later.  It also revealed those same women would be shifted from section to section until their supervisors had enough of their incompetence and they were transferred to a different area to begin the process anew.

I wonder what it means...
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:23:16 PM »

...many women FEEL unwelcome

There is your problem right there; feminine feelings. Women are always 'feeling' something, oftentimes they 'feel' somethingn that is not even there. You do not know how many times I have been perfectly normal with absolutely nothing wrong or nothing against a particular female yet she has still complained that she 'feels' I am in a bad mood with her or that she 'feels' like there is something wrong with me. I'll bet that it is just the result of women's crazy emotions.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »

I'll bet that it is just the result of women's crazy emotions.

Says the teenager whose emotions have been rock-solid stable lately ....  Wink
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »

Okay I have to admit, that made me laugh. But at least I have an excuse for it! I'm emotionally crazy because I get that from my unhealthy INFJ mother!

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »

Okay I have to admit, that made me laugh. But at least I have an excuse for it! I'm emotionally crazy because I get that from my unhealthy INFJ mother!

Nope. It's the raging hormones of an adolescent. Stop blaming others for your problem.   Wink
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

meh.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:33:15 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »

...many women FEEL unwelcome

There is your problem right there; feminine feelings. Women are always 'feeling' something, oftentimes they 'feel' somethingn that is not even there. You do not know how many times I have been perfectly normal with absolutely nothing wrong or nothing against a particular female yet she has still complained that she 'feels' I am in a bad mood with her or that she 'feels' like there is something wrong with me. I'll bet that it is just the result of women's crazy emotions.

You stand on the precipice of understanding women.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: