OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:44:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope and Orthodox Bishops  (Read 2776 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: October 05, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »

So someone was telling me that the Pope isn't as big of a difference between the (Oriental) Orthodox and the Catholics as some people make it out to be. I was saying that I am not a papist. He mentioned that papal infallibility is often misinterpreted.  (I'm coming from a Protestant background via study of Catholicism and on back to Orthodoxy.) Umm... Please help me clarify a couple things.

What is the difference between the Roman pope and the Orthodox bishops in terms of:

their roles,
their power,
and their authority.

I do not know if this is any different if I say Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox, though I doubt there is a difference. If there is, please let me know.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:33:26 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »

This person was Roman Catholic, wasn't he?  Roll Eyes

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »

This person was Roman Catholic, wasn't he?  Roll Eyes
Orthodox, actually!

Yes,  Shocked and Embarrassed I know.

Cradle and not enough well taught. I need to be better than this.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:00:17 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »

So someone was telling me that the Pope isn't as big of a difference between the (Oriental) Orthodox and the Catholics as some people make it out to be. I was saying that I am not a papist. He mentioned that papal infallibility is often misinterpreted.  (I'm coming from a Protestant background via study of Catholicism and on back to Orthodoxy.) Umm... Please help me clarify a couple things.

What is the difference between the Roman pope and the Orthodox bishops in terms of:

their roles,
their power,
and their authority.

I do not know if this is any different if I say Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox, though I doubt there is a difference. If there is, please let me know.

Thanks!

The Pope can act unilaterally, that is without the agreement or even permission of other bishops.  And in the same breath, he can impose on other bishops.  He can depose other bishops but himself cannot be deposed even by a council.  And since 1983, no other bishop can be ordained without his permission.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »

The Pope IN the Oriental Orthodox Church is not the Pope OF the Oriental Orthodox Church, but of the Coptic Church specifically.  Our Church is a conciliar church, with the Pope of Alexandria having a "primacy among equal bishops", but nevertheless a diocesan bishop like other diocesan bishops, with Alexandria (and Cairo) as his main diocese.

Not sure about the Pope of Rome.  It seems like an elevation of a status above episcopacy, whereas for the Coptic Church, it is a level in episcopacy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:15:31 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »

their roles,
their power,
and their authority.

To Roman Catholics, the Pope of Rome has universal authority and jurisdiction. That is to say that he has authority over any and every other bishop, regardless of jurisdiction. He is above in power, stature, and authority over the entire visible church. Councils are effectively below the Pope in authority. Roman Catholics also believe in "papal infallibility," which recognizes as infallible whatever the Pope says "ex cathedra," which means most of what he says/does is not considered infallible.

To Orthodox, the Pope of Rome was a bishop that was "first among equals," and had a position of extreme honor and what he said had considerable weight behind it, but he was limited in authority to his own jurisdiction alone. I believe that the only inter-jurisdictional authority within Orthodoxy would be councils, and no single bishop/pope. Further, no single bishop has the ability to ever speak infallibly for the church.

I think I've done a fair enough job, but if anyone sees anything wrong with my summaries then please correct them. Cool
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In day to day functions, and in their initial roles of ordination, Popes and Patriarchs alike are the same thing.  The differences between the Latin Pope and the Orthodox Patriarch only play out much later, particularly after different political developments in Europe around the Reformation.  Patriarchs in the Orthodox jurisdictions have unilateral authority in many matters, but we do not take their words as Gospel. I am not quite sure that for most of Latin history anyone took the Popes' word as gospel either.  That seems a more recent development, and in all actuality one in retaliation against many political developments across the fading Holy Roman Empire. The Pope became a superior bishop to try and hemorrhage the bleeding  when so many heretical bishops splintered away into Protestantism (England, Germany, I'm looking at you Smiley ) The Patriarch is a first among equals, but in regards to Council decisions (local or universal) their decisions are the signatory conclusion.  I understand that traditionally they have what we today might think of the executive veto priveleges, perhaps even line-item?  In many other symbolic functions, the Patriarch and Latin Popes are the same thing.  We definitely do not agree with the legal concepts of Papal Infallibility, but that is a later development if you ask me.  For the first thousand years, and probably five hundred years after that, we were probably the same thing.  The Latin Popes had fairly strong control and influence in their own jurisdictions.  Were they invincible? No, they suffered as many invasions, exiles, and anti-popes as any Orthodox Bishop (our father Saint Athanasius I'm lookin at you Smiley ) which implies that they hardly had any authoritarian control of their Latin leadership, political and clerical.  In Orthodox Jurisdictions, the Patriarch has a lot of sway and influence as well, with equal amounts of strife and sometimes derision.  After all, they are the Apostles (the outcasts of the earth as Paul asserts)

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:25:12 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:08:19 AM »

So someone was telling me that the Pope isn't as big of a difference between the (Oriental) Orthodox and the Catholics as some people make it out to be.

Hi Anastasia. I myself have heard it claimed repeatedly, not too long ago, that Catholicism and Oriental Orthodoxy are actually very close. Maybe if I hear it another 6 or so times, I'll start to believe it. Wink

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:44:54 AM »

their roles,
their power,
and their authority.

To Roman Catholics, the Pope of Rome has universal authority and jurisdiction. That is to say that he has authority over any and every other bishop, regardless of jurisdiction. He is above in power, stature, and authority over the entire visible church. Councils are effectively below the Pope in authority. Roman Catholics also believe in "papal infallibility," which recognizes as infallible whatever the Pope says "ex cathedra," which means most of what he says/does is not considered infallible.

To Orthodox, the Pope of Rome was a bishop that was "first among equals," and had a position of extreme honor and what he said had considerable weight behind it, but he was limited in authority to his own jurisdiction alone. I believe that the only inter-jurisdictional authority within Orthodoxy would be councils, and no single bishop/pope. Further, no single bishop has the ability to ever speak infallibly for the church.

I think I've done a fair enough job, but if anyone sees anything wrong with my summaries then please correct them. Cool

Since Vatican II particularly Catholics have been trying to urge us to think that the Pope still is just 'first amongst equals'.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »

There is.

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »

There is.
Ok, anyone know what that is then?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »

There is.

I'm not the best person to answer this, since I'm neither; but Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox disagree on ecumenical councils (7 vs. 3).  Although it should be noted that some believe that they will soon resolve their differences and come into full communion with each other.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:05 PM »

There is.

I'm not the best person to answer this, since I'm neither; but Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox disagree on ecumenical councils (7 vs. 3).  Although it should be noted that some believe that they will soon resolve their differences and come into full communion with each other.

"Soon" in Orthodox time could mean, well....just about anything, really, but probably nothing less than 25-1,000 years  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »

There is.

Ok, I meant difference in the distribution and kinds of power and authority such as would constitute a more fundamental difference in church structure, not just disputed doctrine over the nature of Christ.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »

There is.

Ok, I meant difference in the distribution and kinds of power and authority such as would constitute a more fundamental difference in church structure, not just disputed doctrine over the nature of Christ.

Oh, I think I may understand what you're saying now: that in the OP, it wouldn't have made any difference if you had said Eastern Orthodox rather than Oriental Orthodox. Or am I still misunderstanding you?

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »

There is.

Oh, I think I may understand what you're saying now: that in the OP, it wouldn't have made any difference if you had said Eastern Orthodox rather than Oriental Orthodox. Or am I still misunderstanding you?
I think you understand right. Thanks!

choy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 12:39:21 AM »

Further, no single bishop has the ability to ever speak infallibly for the church.

Actually in Orthodoxy, anyone can be infallible.  Or more accurately, only God is infallible.  And we can receive God's message through anyone. Of course such statements by a person has to be tested by tradition and time to be true. If it is universally accepted by the Church then it is infallible.  But that person could have long passed from this life by the time that happens.  Unlike in Catholicism where the Pope can say, "yeah, this is ex cathedra so you (Catholics) have to believe it."  Right there and then it is infallible.  In Orthodoxy, infallibility is not instant and as you said, not inherent in one person or one office.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 01:35:21 AM »

their roles,
their power,
and their authority.

Thanks!

This claim sounds familiar. I wonder if it's the same guy who makes these sort of claims about the Oriental Orthodox in general (he'd have you convinced that Oriental Orthodox theology is Thomism, if he could get his way)...

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »

"Soon" in Orthodox time could mean, well....just about anything, really, but probably nothing less than 25-1,000 years  Grin.

How long did your church take to apologize for the Fourth Crusade? It was 800 years

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »

How long did your church take to apologize for the Fourth Crusade? It was 800 years

There we go again...

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 10:17:18 AM »

There we go again...

Amazing, isn't it?  Roll Eyes

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »

Lighten up a little bit, dude--It. Was. A. Joke.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »

Forgive my sins.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »

LOL!!

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »

The Roman Catholic Church was under no obligation to apologize for the Fourth Crusade. The sack of Constantinople was not authorized by the Church and was in fact reacted to rather harshly by the Pope when he learned of it (If I recall correctly, he excommunicated the whole bunch.) You might as well ask both the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church to apologize for all the souls they endangered and possibly lead to damnation through Arianism.  Roll Eyes

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »

The Roman Catholic Church was under no obligation to apologize for the Fourth Crusade. The sack of Constantinople was not authorized by the Church and was in fact reacted to rather harshly by the Pope when he learned of it (If I recall correctly, he excommunicated the whole bunch.) You might as well ask both the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church to apologize for all the souls they endangered and possibly lead to damnation through Arianism.  Roll Eyes

Please don't start this argument again. There are threads here in the past that deal with this distorted version of history.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »

So, to add a positive note, we may already be half-way to an apology for the Union of Brest.

Wink

choy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »

So, to add a positive note, we may already be half-way to an apology for the Union of Brest.

Wink

LOL!
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »

"Soon" in Orthodox time could mean, well....just about anything, really, but probably nothing less than 25-1,000 years  Grin.

Lighten up a little bit, dude--It. Was. A. Joke.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
You assume I wasn't joking?

Apparently only you can joke?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:30:08 PM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

Wink

it's in the post

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »

"Soon" in Orthodox time could mean, well....just about anything, really, but probably nothing less than 25-1,000 years  Grin.

The Roman Catholic Church was under no obligation to apologize for the Fourth Crusade. The sack of Constantinople was not authorized by the Church and was in fact reacted to rather harshly by the Pope when he learned of it (If I recall correctly, he excommunicated the whole bunch.) You might as well ask both the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church to apologize for all the souls they endangered and possibly lead to damnation through Arianism.  Roll Eyes
Aside from the Pope giving it his retrospective blessing, and then JPII apologising for it, if you want to argue with two different popes, you're more than welcome to start a thread on it

PS, you don't remember it correctly.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:32:19 PM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

LOL!!

You'll have to be more careful with what you start - joking aside

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:33:23 PM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »

How very American!

We would use cricket bats

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »

How very American!

But I am not?  Huh

Forgive my sins.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »

How very American!

Let's compromise and use sticks!  Wink
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »

How very American!

But I am not?  Huh

mea culpa

And my opinion of you has just gone up

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:57:50 PM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »

How very American!

But I am not?  Huh
How long have you honestly lived in this country?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 11:36:39 PM »

How very American!

But I am not?  Huh
How long have you honestly lived in this country?

As opposed to dishonestly?  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 09:46:24 AM »

How very American!

Cricket sticks or baseball sticks or jolly hockey sticks? Grin

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

How very American!

Cricket sticks or baseball sticks or jolly hockey sticks? Grin

Well, I think we could rule out Twizzlers or licorice sticks....
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »

What's a Twizzler? Is that like a swizzle stick?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »

What's a Twizzler? Is that like a swizzle stick?

vs.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:17:36 AM by J Michael » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: