OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:04:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving while searching - what makes sense?  (Read 507 times) Average Rating: 0
orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« on: October 05, 2012, 12:26:47 PM »

This may be a minor/petty issue, so apologies in advance.

I historically tithe (10%) to my church.  It's a not insignificant portion from my POV.  I've been reading, praying, talking etc. about Orthodoxy and starting to hesitate on whether I should continue to contribute to the church I attend, or put a portion aside (in a separate, non-touchable account) in case I convert, in which case the rolled funds would go to wherever I converted into... if that makes sense.  I've kind of split the difference so far by lowering what I give and putting a chunk into a build-up account until I know what I should do with it.  I'm even seriously considering creating a donor-advised fund so that the funds are formally designated for giving, but don't have to be given away until know where they should go.

Naturally, I have lots of other questions around reception of the sacraments, but since I'm numbers-oriented, this question bothers me more than most.   Smiley

Is it better to give, even if I'm giving to the "wrong" church, since I'm not sure?  Is it possible that such donations would be harming my ability to discern the truth?  Thoughts?

Also, I have historically given above the tithe to a poverty program run by Catholics.  It is very, very well run but I'm wondering if this is also problematic.  If so, should I give to secular sources?  Look specifically for Orthodox ones?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »

I can only say what I did in a similar circumstance:

Give to wherever you happen to be that Sunday- unless there is some particular reason for not giving (this particular church donates to morally/spiritually questionable goals, etc).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
CatherineBrigid

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

What I've been doing is continuing to give to my home church, until I officially convert in November (I am part of a parish-in-formation that is not holding services yet.  If I was regularly attending my soon-to-be Orthodox parish, that's where my giving would go).  Of course, I'm also still unemployed and 10% of nothing is still nothing, but when I have temporary work or what have you, that's where I give at present.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:45:12 PM by CatherineBrigid » Logged

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
arnI

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »

If you previously made a Stewardship pledge to a parish, I would meet that commitment. If you have not pledged, contributions to where you attend regularly seems appropriate. When I began attending the Orthodox services each week, I started contributing to the Orthodox parish many months before Chrismation. Monetary contributions outside your parish was discussed here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,44296.0.html.
Good luck in your journey!

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »

Give to wherever you happen to be that Sunday- unless there is some particular reason for not giving (this particular church donates to morally/spiritually questionable goals, etc).

That's what we did as well. Although we were initially confused by our parish's custom of not taking up an offering.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »

You could donate to OCC (Orthodox Christian Charities) in the mean time.  But I have to agree if you made a pledge keep it.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »

Honoring a pledge makes sense to me. My second thought was to give the money, for now, to a charity. A pro-life cause, homeless shelter, women's shelter, it doesn't have to be related to a parish or church.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »

That's what we did as well. Although we were initially confused by our parish's custom of not taking up an offering.

That threw me at my first parish as well- I thought it was a welcome change of pace. Of course, every parish I've attended since does indeed take up an offering.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: