OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 08:43:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do the orthodox christians interpret the bible scriptures?  (Read 1338 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: October 05, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »

In Protestant,  a person can interpret the bible scriptures according to the way, the approach, the bible version, the view , etc. that he/ she like and we want. Thus,the Protestant Christians and its famous bible scholars can easily find the scriptures to support the theology they endorse and embrace . The scholars can even easily form  their own theology through the support of scriptures.It is all determined by their skill of scripture interpretation.

How about Orthodox Church? How do the Orthodox Christians interpret the Bible Scriptures?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:47:35 AM by walter1234 » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »

Using some of the same methods as you described. Except we also take into account the interpretations of those who have gone before us like the disciples of the apostles, and the Divine Liturgy, and other things.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:11:45 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »

Using some of the same methods as you described. Except we also take into account the interpretations of those who have gone before us like the disciples of the apostles, and the Divine Liturgy, and other things.

How divine Liturgy help Orthodox Christian to interpret the bible scriptures?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »

How divine Liturgy help Orthodox Christian to interpret the bible scriptures?

There are various parts of the Liturgy which re-present Christ's life, reveal something of the workings of the Heavenly Jerusalem and the Tabernacle in Heaven, exegete the Book of Revelation by "living it", present the songs of the Scriptures sung with reverence (like the Psalms).

Within the Liturgy, the sayings of the Apostle Paul are used, not merely recited, within the Christian community (the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ/And with your Spirit), and the partaking of the Eucharist reveals greater insight and truth if taken unto salvation. The hymns offer ancient commentary on various events in Christ's life and other events in the Scriptures.

To name a few things which come together to bright light to the Scriptures.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:42:25 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »

Not to muddy these waters but I find the deposit of faith within the Church which has already preserved the meaning of Holy Scripture which itself is included in Holy Tradition. Do I read Holy Scripture? Indeed I do and am constantly amazed at how it exudes Orthodoxy.
If I am confused, I see my priest.

Anything else just leads to general confusion and the plethora of denominational beliefs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:12:13 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »

How can we know whether our interpretation of the Scripture or specific passage is correct or not?

How can we know whether our interpretation ofthe Scripture or specific passage  is come from God or not?

( Because I found out that no matter penal substitution or Christus victor ; need to have intecession prayers or should not have any intercession prayers; western or eastern theology, etc. Thery are also supported by many Scripture passages. It is just all determined by how you interpret the Scriptures. )
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:40:40 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »

How can we know whether our interpretation of the Scripture or specific passage is correct or not?

How can we know whether our interpretation ofthe Scripture or specific passage  is come from God or not?

( Because I found out that no matter penal substitution or Christus victor ; need to have intecession prayers or should not have any intercession prayers; western or eastern theology, etc. Thery are also supported by many Scripture passages. It is just all determined by how you interpret the Scriptures. )

Define "you" and "our" so that I may answer correctly, please. That only if you have some meanings other than those definitions being my own personal interpretations. In that case, I do not have them. Personally understood teachings of the Church, yes. Personally created/interpreted  deposit of faith, no.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »

How can we know whether our interpretation ofthe Scripture or specific passage  is come from God or not?

Define "you" and "our" so that I may answer correctly, please. That only if you have some meanings other than those definitions being my own personal interpretations. In that case, I do not have them. Personally understood teachings of the Church, yes. Personally created/interpreted  deposit of faith, no.

That means the authority of the teachings in the Church should not be lower than the authority of Bible.The interpretation of Scriptures should not separate or contradict with the teaching of the whole church. Am I right?

( In Protestant, bible is the highest.Bible is higher than any thing else. Bible is higher than all church teachings and all the tradtions.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:05:47 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »

Define "you" and "our" so that I may answer correctly, please. That only if you have some meanings other than those definitions being my own personal interpretations. In that case, I do not have them. Personally understood teachings of the Church, yes. Personally created/interpreted  deposit of faith, no.

How can Orthodox Christians know whether their  interpretation of the Scripture or specific passage is correct or not?

How can Orthodox Christians know whether their interpretation ofthe Scripture or specific passage  is come from God or not?

( Because I found out that no matter penal substitution or Christus victor ; need to have intecession prayers or should not have any intercession prayers; western or eastern theology, etc. All these views are also supported by many Scripture passages. It is just all determined by how the people interpret the Scriptures. )
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:56:03 AM by walter1234 » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »

How can Orthodox Christians know whether their  interpretation of the Scripture or specific passage is correct or not?

How can Orthodox Christians know whether their interpretation ofthe Scripture or specific passage  is come from God or not?

A good place to start is to become familiar with what is read, chanted and sung in church, and in the church's prayers, such as what can be found in an Orthodox prayer book. These hymns and prayers are the core and essence of what the whole church believes. Icons, too, express what the Church teaches. What is shown in icons is the visual equivalent of hymnography.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:01:10 AM by LBK » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »

How can we know whether our interpretation ofthe Scripture or specific passage  is come from God or not?

Define "you" and "our" so that I may answer correctly, please. That only if you have some meanings other than those definitions being my own personal interpretations. In that case, I do not have them. Personally understood teachings of the Church, yes. Personally created/interpreted  deposit of faith, no.

How can Orthodox Christians know whether their  interpretation of the Scripture or specific passage is correct or not?

How can Orthodox Christians know whether their interpretation ofthe Scripture or specific passage  is come from God or not?

( Because I found out that no matter penal substitution or Christus victor ; need to have intecession prayers or should not have any intercession prayers; western or eastern theology, etc. All these views are also supported by many Scripture passages. It is just all determined by how the people interpret the Scriptures. )

My friend, I am probably repeating what has been pointed out before, but unless and until you understand Apostolic Succession and what "In communion" mean you will not be able to understand Orthodoxy.
You risk reducing Christianity to a BOOK and that approach leads to a counter argument that any Muslim can challenge with his book. It will probably be scandalous to you that I state that Orthodox Christianity would still exist had NO scripture been preserved. You cannot state the same of the church as you envision it.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »

Easy. We ourselves do not interpret Scripture. The Church does. The Church wrote it; the Church interprets it. There are plenty of commentaries on Scripture from the Holy Fathers, as well as the liturgical life of the church and the witness of the saints.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: