OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:22:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you pray together with your family and/or friends?
Yes - 2 (50%)
No - 2 (50%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Praying with family and friends  (Read 735 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« on: October 05, 2012, 01:49:11 AM »

Are we to pray our morning, evening and pre-communion prayers together with our Orthodox boyfriends, girlfriends, brothers, wives etc. or should we just stick with individual prayer rules?

I like the former idea more but I don't remember encountering any encouragement to it from Orthodox sources. Still, I've done it occasionally and it feels rather different to praying alone. It's rather like the place of prayer turning into a little church.

Let's make a poll about this. Do you pray together with your family and/or friends?

OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »

I've never heard anything against praying with your (Orthodox) family. In fact, I thought it was the typical practice for families living together to pray together.  Huh

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »

I've never heard anything against praying with your (Orthodox) family. In fact, I thought it was the typical practice for families living together to pray together.  Huh

That's how I always assumed but it occurred to me that I've never encountered any Orthodox source that encouraged to it whereas I've read and heard a lot of encouragement to stick with one's individual prayer rule. Which is of course not proof of anything. It could be that I've just missed the talk about families.

JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:29:34 AM »

I would think that in general we are supposed to pray with our presumably Orthodox families since prayer is always a collective thing with us. However, given the fact that many of us are converts with heterodox families, I think it is better for us to pray individually.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »

When my father converted to Orthodoxy, we never prayed together.  He didn't really have an established prayer rule, and praying, for me, is always a very personal thing. 

I pray with other Christian friends at school (from other denominations, gasp!).

Mostly, I like to pray alone.

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »

The desire to pray with my family is there - but at the moment, not possible.
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »

I have no Orthodox family, but when staying with Orthodox friends we always pray as a group. I think it's a lot easier to stay on-task that way and it's ideal IMO.

If I did have Orthodox family members, my ideal would be saying Little Compline as a group at night, and have individual prayers in the morning.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »

Unfortunately, in my family we pray together only a few times per year: Pascha, Christmas, Slava, Epiphany.

However, I hope that one day when I start my own family, I pray with my husband (and if I have children,with them too) the Morning and Evening prayers every day and for festal days something special. I've read that praying together integrates family and prevents divorces.

I probably would make just one exception: prayers before Eucharists, because not always the whole family stands in line for it and I think it's very personal.

As for friends, I pray with them together only during pilgrimages.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: