OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is a copy of a thread from another forum  (Read 375 times) Average Rating: 0
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: October 05, 2012, 01:02:25 AM »

As far as heretical topics go, this one has my interest.
After being a Bible studying Christian for 40 years, I recently began to wonder about if the Bible says that God is still a man after ascending back to heaven, and if so, why that would be needed. There are a multitude of verses that raise issues for me and they can come out if the discussion goes forward, but the last time we had this discussion a few posters got stuck here.(see two verses below) For me and others the Corinthian verse is telling us that human bodies can not ascend to heaven, despite the commonly held doctrine that Jesus ascended in a human body. Those that I feel are stuck point to Luke meaning that Jesus had human flesh and bones. Some of us don't think He was saying that, because it conflicts with Corinthians.
So those stuckees claim that "flesh and bone" is entirely different than "flesh and blood" because at the cross Jesus was drained of all blood and that's what can't go to heaven: blood. Flesh can as long as it only has bones but no blood.
For some of us this distinction between the two phrases has no substance, and the real point of what jesus was saying in Luke was, "I'm not the spirit of a dead man, I am trully, tangibly alive" And other scriptures state plainly that He appeared in different forms and in forms where people did not recognize Him, meaning the forms He appeared in after the resurrection were not His actual form, but akin to how angels appear as men to us.

Luke 24:39 "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself ; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."
1 Corinthians 15:50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God ; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
http://forums.carm.org/vbb/showthread.php?117335-Jesus-raised-in-a-human-body

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »

The feasts of Thomas' Sunday and the Ascension deal with Christ's post-Resurrection body:

http://www.anastasis.org.uk/ThomasSun.htm

http://www.anastasis.org.uk/assumpti.htm

The Church also teaches that the Mother of God was taken bodily to heaven after her dormition (how is not elaborated upon, of course, it's a mystery). Her tomb was found to be empty by Apostle Thomas, who arrived late, three days after her death.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: