OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 01:42:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Distractions During Liturgy  (Read 6809 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »

So why have women wear anything at all? Let them come to Church naked, and read the scriptures while doing a pole dance. I mean, lust is our problem not theirs. Doesn't matter how they dress or how they act. The sin is in the eye of the beholder not in the actions or attire of those that are beheld.  But yeah, I realize that my calls for modesty make me no different than Osama Bin Laden. Roll Eyes

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »

But yeah, I realize that my calls for modesty make me no different than Osama Bin Laden. Roll Eyes

I don't think anyone has any problem with your call for modesty. Shaking the dust from your feet signifies that the place you're leaving is damned and accursed. That's a little over the top, don't you think?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »

Is OUTRAGE!!!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »

Yes, if we could eliminate all distractions during Liturgy then everyone could pay proper attention. James' complaint is common, but here is a list of all the things I think need to be addressed:

Cell-phones- because no human being ever could possibly forget to turn their ringer off early in the morning when they have yet to even smell coffee.

Women in low cut necklines- anything lower than the eyebrows draws my attention

Women in short dresses- If they aren't in constant danger of tripping over, it's too short.

Women in tight clothing- They leave nothing to the imagination.

Women in loose clothing- because the Liturgy is about prayer, and one is not to engage the imagination during prayer.

Old ladies- I'm afraid I might goof somehow and get a cane about the cranium.

Men in expensive suits- this is Church, not the country club. Get rid of the Rolex, too.

Men in casual clothes- Can't you have the decency to dress up in the Lord's presence?

My feet- Even in sneakers 3 1/2 hours is too long to stand.

The priest chants off-key- It's hard on the ears and detracts from the beauty of the Liturgy.

The priest chants beautifully- The beauty distracts from the worship.

The priest chants just right- it blends in too much and the mind drifts.

Bad icons- Save those for the westerners.

Good icons- Too much time trying to figure out the Greek shorthand

That one person in the choir- This isn't the opera.

The laity sings- No one knows the tone.

The laity doesn't sing- Don't they know this is supposed to be the work of the people?

Kids in the service- They're too darn cute and the race cars are a hazard.

Kids in Sunday school- they belong in the parish as part of the Church.

That dust mote- the janitor's not doing his job right.

Collection plate- There is no "traditional" time to pass the plate during the service, no matter what your service book says.

No collection plate- Great, another long parish council meeting after the service about how no one donates.

The youth group acting up- Didn't their parents teach them how to behave?

The youth group are angels- Oh, so because they grew up in the Church they're better than us converts?

That guy with the squeaky shoe- Obvious, really.

That guy with no shoes- Show some respect.

If we can address all these issues, the Church would be perfect and there would be no distractions.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »

But yeah, I realize that my calls for modesty make me no different than Osama Bin Laden. Roll Eyes

I don't think anyone has any problem with your call for modesty. Shaking the dust from your feet signifies that the place you're leaving is damned and accursed. That's a little over the top, don't you think?

Yes, I can agree that my choice of words could have been better. I certainly didn't mean to imply that his Church was damned and accursed. My point was that if our brother's spiritual concerns were not taken seriously, then he might want to find a parish and a Priest that would take them seriously.

Temptations are always with us, even if we flee to desert solitude. But I think the Church should try as much as possible to be a refuge from the sensual temptations and enticements that bombard us in our every day lives. And I think sometimes certain Priests are more worried about not passing judgment on a single individual than about preserving the spiritual safety of all. Surely there is proper balance between the two. I would hope we could all agree on that.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:59:44 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on (permanent?) hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

What you should trouble the priest about is why he allows a woman to read the Epistle!  Wink
I agree!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:09:45 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »

Imodest dressing and women reading the epistle. Both worries me.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »

Most Greek Orthodox in the US allow women to read the Epistles during the liturgy service.They can read the Gospel when ever they want at home. Roll Eyes

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »

What you should trouble the priest about is why he allows a woman to read the Epistle!  Wink
I agree!

I'm not sure why this is a problem. There used to be women deacons.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:24 PM »

Yes, if we could eliminate all distractions during Liturgy then everyone could pay proper attention. James' complaint is common, but here is a list of all the things I think need to be addressed:

Cell-phones- because no human being ever could possibly forget to turn their ringer off early in the morning when they have yet to even smell coffee.

Women in short dresses- If they aren't in constant danger of tripping over, it's too short.

Women in loose clothing- because the Liturgy is about prayer, and one is not to engage the imagination during prayer.

Men in expensive suits- this is Church, not the country club. Get rid of the Rolex, too.

Men in casual clothes- Can't you have the decency to dress up in the Lord's presence?

The priest chants off-key- It's hard on the ears and detracts from the beauty of the Liturgy.

The laity doesn't sing- Don't they know this is supposed to be the work of the people?

Collection plate- There is no "traditional" time to pass the plate during the service, no matter what your service book says.

No collection plate- Great, another long parish council meeting after the service about how no one donates.

The youth group are angels- Oh, so because they grew up in the Church they're better than us converts?

If we can address all these issues, the Church would be perfect and there would be no distractions.

lmao Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin angel angel angel angel police police police police Cool Cool Cool Cool Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »

On this one I would not be specific to your priest of who it is.  I would tell him of your distractions from immodestly dressed parishoners.  The scriptures and the church teach of modesty.  This is something your priest can handle VIA bulletin.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »

I have never seen a woman read the epistle during the Divine Liturgy in a Greek Orthodox Church. On the other hand I would not object to it. What I do relish is the Agape service after Easter because the women who mean so much to me have the opportunity to read the Gospel (assuming they speak Serbian, French, Russian, etc.; and worth losing sleep because of it).
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »

I agree!

I also don't see the big deal.  When I went to an Orthodox Church, Matushka or Father's sister would both often read the epistle and chant parts that are typically for men in the Church.  It's not as though their being female makes them inadequate at this job.  I find in most cases, a woman's voice is a much more soothing and spiritually stimulating way to express the epistles.  I had a hard time listening to Mr. Reader, who would shout as loud as he could in a deep monotone. 

What's more important - being "kosher", or getting the message of Christ's life, death and resurrection to the worshipers?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:45:02 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »

I agree!

I also don't see the big deal.  When I went to an Orthodox Church, Matushka or Father's sister would both often read the epistle and chant parts that are typically for men in the Church.  It's not as though their being female makes them inadequate at this job.  I find in most cases, a woman's voice is a much more soothing and spiritually stimulating way to express the epistles.  I had a hard time listening to Mr. Reader, who would shout as loud as he could in a deep monotone. 

What's more important - being "kosher", or getting the message of Christ's life, death and resurrection to the worshipers?
I amy respond later. But for now, make your 2000th post a good one! Wink

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »

I agree!

(As good a time as any, I suppose!)

Thank you!  I'm flattered.  I gather, then, that you all still like me, even though I'm no longer affiliated with the Orthodox Church.
I must say, denominations and nitty-gritty aside, I sure do love you all. Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2012, 11:49:25 PM »

So why have women wear anything at all? Let them come to Church naked, and read the scriptures while doing a pole dance. I mean, lust is our problem not theirs. Doesn't matter how they dress or how they act. The sin is in the eye of the beholder not in the actions or attire of those that are beheld.  But yeah, I realize that my calls for modesty make me no different than Osama Bin Laden. Roll Eyes
In your calls for modesty, however, you're placing the blame squarely on the woman and, might I say, stoning the woman without showing any real understanding of what James has shared with us. Let's face it, Gebre. James is a horny young man who has asked us for guidance on how to avert his eyes from distracting images. Blaming the woman solely on what James has told us about her offers nothing of assistance to what James has to go through at church with his own youthful temptations. You have no idea, and neither do I, what this woman really wears to church, so let's stop focusing on that.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2012, 11:53:40 PM »

On this one I would not be specific to your priest of who it is.  I would tell him of your distractions from immodestly dressed parishoners.  The scriptures and the church teach of modesty.  This is something your priest can handle VIA bulletin.

Exactly. This sums it up for me.

Selam

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2012, 11:57:46 PM »

On this one I would not be specific to your priest of who it is.  I would tell him of your distractions from immodestly dressed parishoners.  The scriptures and the church teach of modesty.  This is something your priest can handle VIA bulletin.

Ya know, Gebre, I find quite disturbing how so many of your posts on this matter focus on what the woman is wearing while so few say anything about why you let your eyes wander in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:02:12 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2012, 12:19:53 AM »

Why admire the woman when you should be worshiping the One who created her? Seems like a rather significant step down...turn your thoughts away from earthly things, let us attend, etc., etc.

Just think: Just like God created this lady, God has also created someone (maybe several, seeing as how He loves to give us many chances) who will drive you wild at APPROPRIATE times (i.e., not during the liturgy), but that is likely largely contingent on your earning her favor by acting right...step one: not being the cartoon wolf while she's there trying to worship God, too.

The ball is really in your court, to say nothing of how she dresses (which is her own issue whether it causes you to think lustful things or not). Consider it a challenge from God to look her in the eyes when you talk to her, and if you sense your mind wandering to places it shouldn't go, to take the appropriate steps to nip that thought in the bud before you get all worked up. The passions are just like ants: A single one spotted wandering where it shouldn't be is probably a sign that there are many more where that came from, waiting for their moment to get in. Do what you need to do to keep yourself clean.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:20:39 AM by dzheremi » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2012, 12:28:59 AM »

Why admire the woman when you should be worshiping the One who created her? Seems like a rather significant step down...turn your thoughts away from earthly things, let us attend, etc., etc.

Just think: Just like God created this lady, God has also created someone (maybe several, seeing as how He loves to give us many chances) who will drive you wild at APPROPRIATE times (i.e., not during the liturgy), but that is likely largely contingent on your earning her favor by acting right...step one: not being the cartoon wolf while she's there trying to worship God, too.

The ball is really in your court, to say nothing of how she dresses (which is her own issue whether it causes you to think lustful things or not). Consider it a challenge from God to look her in the eyes when you talk to her, and if you sense your mind wandering to places it shouldn't go, to take the appropriate steps to nip that thought in the bud before you get all worked up. The passions are just like ants: A single one spotted wandering where it shouldn't be is probably a sign that there are many more where that came from, waiting for their moment to get in. Do what you need to do to keep yourself clean.
Very well said, dzheremi. Thank you for your balanced approach to this matter.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »

On this one I would not be specific to your priest of who it is.  I would tell him of your distractions from immodestly dressed parishoners.  The scriptures and the church teach of modesty.  This is something your priest can handle VIA bulletin.

Ya know, Gebre, I find quite disturbing how so many of your posts on this matter focus on what the woman is wearing while so few say anything about why you let your eyes wander in the first place.

Pray for me brother.

Selam

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2012, 01:43:52 AM »

I agree!

I meant 'may.'

LOL. I'm so dumb! Cheesy

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2012, 08:15:02 AM »

LOL  Let's think about this one and add our own! Cheesy
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »

LOL  Let's think about this one and add our own! Cheesy

I've got a couple:
Men with beards: My goodness, Mr. Zealot!  In these last two weeks since your chrismation, that squirrel sure has taken deep root in your face.

Men without beards:  Have you no respect for tradition or culture?  What do you think we are, Baptists?! 

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »

That cantor really knows his stuff - all the tones, all the irmosi. Wow.

That cantor, what a jerk, he thinks he's the lead act. What a show-off.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »

The cantor has no clue- what'd they do, stick this guy up there just because he happened to be the only other person in the church during Orthros?

And yes, that's exactly what they did.  My only hope is that one other person chanting in English goes before me, and the tones don't switch laugh
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:45:18 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »

Ever since they air-conditioned the church, it is always TOOOO cold.

Ever since they air-conditioned the church, they NEVER use it!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »

Why is the choir director shaking his head? Did we do something wrong? Huh
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »

Kids are a big distraction when they are too rambunctious, especially to the Catholic priest who has pedophile tendencies . angel
 A fortnight-long warning for starting such a glaring off-topic and having broken the "Keep Threads on Target" rule.

Michał Kalina

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2012, 07:53:03 PM »

Groan.

Get off stage, Sinful Hack!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

Kids are a big distraction when they are too rambunctious, especially to the Catholic priest who has pedophile tendencies . angel
Shocked

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »

One doesn't necessarily have to "let one's eyes wander," sheesh.

These days, people don't really know what they're doing when they dress. Hence many jobs for professional consultants.

But this reminds me of an Orthodox Anecdote (TM) about Elder Porphyrios, a man named Niko, and an inappropriately dressed female visitor. Niko and the elder had been talking when the woman came in to meet the elder. He talked with her for awhile. Niko thought, "Can't the elder see how this woman is dressed? Why doesn't he tell her to correct herself? This is a monastery for crying out loud." Later, after she left, the elder said, "Mr. Niko. I'm afraid I have failed as a priest."

"Why elder?" Niko asked in amazement.

"Well, you know that woman who visited me? She was dressed very inappropriately and I didn't correct her."

Then Niko realied the elder had read his thoughts and repented for judging him.

And the elder said, "See, if I had told her she was dressed inappropriately, it would have gone in one ear and out the other. She wasn't ready to hear it. So I told her what she could hear, and later shel'll come around on her own and dress appropriately."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »

I agree!

I meant 'may.'

LOL. I'm so dumb! Cheesy

You can't hide from us, Severian. We all know now about the cute girl named Amy who's been going to your church.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »

Shouldn't that be irmoi?  police

LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:22 AM »

The Greek is eirmoi, the Slavonic is irmosi. Podkarpatska is a Slav.  angel
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »

Psalms 37 and the paragraph 37:4 is a usefull reminder. I would say that also Psalms 119:9 is another good reminder.
And i know how hard it is not to let your eyes wander, i try to look at what the priest(s) are doing and staring at Christ instad
and pray quietly for help.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »

Thanks!  Wink
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »

Thanks!  Wink

Happy to help.  Kiss
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »

Not so seriously, but also not so jokingly:

People being late and going through all the church to kiss the icon. Especially if this late person is a handsome man - for one moment he's in the centre of action.

People walking through the church to kiss an icon, light/put out a candle etc. (well, in reality I find it very "eastern", but it's annoying for my RC friends and family)

Me standing almost enter Liturgy - I'm too active to be all the time in one position

Many people - it's too close and I can't make bows

Few people - where are they? They're supposed to attend Liturgy

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 09:50:46 AM »

Sorry, bro, but if the skirt is short enough my eyes are going to wander.  I can physically see her, not the one who created her.  Perhaps we could settle on a middle ground?  If I want to see underdressed broads I know where the strip joints are and I have a high speed internet connection.  Perhaps at church they could dress close to decently?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »

That woman with the really beautiful voice up in the choir with the bad knees who doesn't rejoin the choir after communion - I wish she'd go back up there after communion so she wouldn't "show-boat" behind me with that terrible voice! 

(I've actually heard this)

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »

Thanks!  Wink

Happy to help.  Kiss

And for our latest contribution-

That guy visiting from an OCA/ROCOR/ACROD parish- Irmosi? Learn the Hellenic terms pal.

That guy visiting from a GOA/Antiochian parish- Orthros? Be glad we're doing Matins instead of the Hours at all!

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »

Stilettos and marble/hardwood floors
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Matthew 5:27-30 (KJV)

Note that Jesus does not say anything about the woman or what she is wearing.  It's all about the person doing the looking because as He says elsewhere, "[n]ot that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man." (Matthew 15:11 (KJV)).

If looking at a woman lustfully makes one an adulterer, it also makes one a rapist.  And, as we know, women who dress even the slightest bit provocatively deserve to be raped, right?

I give the OP a really hard time (because I think he deserves it, honestly) but in this case, I'm not trying to do so.    Every. Single. Priest. who has counselled me on my own sins of a sexual nature has told me repeatedly, "Look somewhere else.  Occupy your mind with something else.  Don't fight the temptation head on, but put your thoughts wholly elsewhere."  It's not going to happen overnight.  You will fail and it's going to seemingly make things worse.  Be patient.  Your struggle is pleasing to God provided it is an honest one.  It's going to suck really hard because you're quite hormonal.  

But don't blame this woman for your faults.  You're just compounding your own failings.  I speak from experience.  

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
converted viking

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »

Cheap shot !!  Knock it off !!!  As I have said before, not all RC priests are pedophiles.  I am sure we Orthodox have had problems with this issue as well as all other denominations.  Are you so clueless that you have to get a dig in like this? 

Seraphim
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: