Author Topic: The OrthodoxChristianity.net Fund Drive  (Read 34984 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: The OrthodoxChristianity.net Fund Drive
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
Yes, the disclaimer makes it clear that articles appearing on the front page do not necessarily have the full agreement of the staff. However, I think this disclaimer is mitigated by the fact that very few articles appear there at all (this was the first one in two years), and that this particular article almost certainly has the agreement of Anastasios our Old Calendarist webmaster, as do previous entries.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
Yes, the disclaimer makes it clear that articles appearing on the front page do not necessarily have the full agreement of the staff. However, I think this disclaimer is mitigated by the fact that very few articles appear there at all (this was the first one in two years), and that this particular article almost certainly has the agreement of Anastasios our Old Calendarist webmaster, as do previous entries.

TBH, I didn't know that article was on the front page until NicholasMyra (?) emoted about it. 
How can you be so incarnationally constipated?

Don't forget about oc.net's women ;)

Can we have one thread where it doesn't devolve into how many people are hot for Mor?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
Yeah, for us regular forumers the articles that very rarely appear on the front page are pretty irrelevant. Most of us go straight to the forum and don't even look at that part of the site. However, a newcomer could come and, despite the disclaimer, not fail to notice that, out of six total articles in the past 7 years, the only electoral commentary is an article arguing that Orthodox Christians must vote for Trump or be complicit in "dismantling every position held by Orthodox Christian doctrine."
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
Let me reply first to this:

I do not want to get into a discussion, I just wanted to state that I will no longer donate until the statement is taken down with an apology.

Do as your conscience dictates!  I (and, I presume, the staff) are most grateful for support rendered in the past, and do not "take it personally" if someone chooses to not donate (for whatever reason).

Not until there is an official apology for posting this editorial by Thomas Bezas:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/

The proviso:
OrthodoxChristianity.net occasionally publishes articles and guest editorials that will be of interest to its readers. This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented.

That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing.
I for one find it sickening and deceptive. I am not willing to support deception that cannot be debated. Since this gets into political  you will have to to research who he is on your own.

Your sentiment "That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing" indicates that you don't understand what "This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented" means.

Father, I think I read the statement correctly. Based on the phrase, I took it to mean that at least some of the staff did endorse the views. This is what I was disturbed about.

I cannot speak to whether or not any of the staff agrees with the views; I don't, and that's OK - while I am at the top of the food chain for the OC.Net staff, I'm not the site owner/founder, and I'm cognizant that I'm tending to his vineyard, not my own.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.   

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
Let me reply first to this:

I do not want to get into a discussion, I just wanted to state that I will no longer donate until the statement is taken down with an apology.

Do as your conscience dictates!  I (and, I presume, the staff) are most grateful for support rendered in the past, and do not "take it personally" if someone chooses to not donate (for whatever reason).

+1

Can we have one thread where it doesn't devolve into how many people are hot for Mor?

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2017, 01:03:44 AM »
Not until there is an official apology for posting this editorial by Thomas Bezas:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/

The proviso:
OrthodoxChristianity.net occasionally publishes articles and guest editorials that will be of interest to its readers. This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented.

That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing.
I for one find it sickening and deceptive. I am not willing to support deception that cannot be debated. Since this gets into political  you will have to to research who he is on your own.

Your sentiment "That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing" indicates that you don't understand what "This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented" means.

Father, I think I read the statement correctly.

The staff is telling you you didn't.

If none of the staff endorsed the editorial, I apologize.

What constitutes 'staff' here anyway?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2017, 12:47:38 AM »
Yeah, slapping a disclaimer on it doesn't magically remove the implicit endorsement.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:48:00 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »
Yeah, slapping a disclaimer on it doesn't magically remove the implicit endorsement.

It appears to have been removed.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »
Gracias!
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
It's gone from the front page, but still in the "articles" section.

Online NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2017, 02:03:37 AM »
It's gone from the front page, but still in the "articles" section.
sad.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2017, 03:13:31 AM »
lol
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • We are all Gustavito!
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2017, 11:29:51 AM »

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
Hello Folks,

Sorry I'm just getting to this. These days I don't post at all or read most of the messages. But I still work behind the scenes to keep the server functioning, etc.

If you really want to know about that editorial: Thomas Bezas is a personal friend of mine, and a Republican operator. He was on the Connecticut delegation to the RNC convention in July.

He asked me to post that editorial the day before the election, so I did. Why? Two reasons.

1) Because I was generally concerned about the type of Supreme Court nominee Clinton would pick in regards to abortion, which I think is the #1 issue. I recognize that many people do not agree with me.
2) Because I believe that Clinton would get us into a war with Russia or escalate our war in Syria
3) Because I researched the Spirit-cooking activities of John Podesta, and think he is an Occultist. Having previously dabbled in the Occult as a teenager, I don't want anyone associated with that apostate Serbian "performance artist" aka Satanist Marina Abramovich anywhere near the seat of power.

Now, posting a political editorial like that was obviously going to ruffle some feathers. So I decided to put the disclaimer with the intention of saying basically, "this article is being posted for consideration. Not all of the staff agrees with it." I did not consult anyone before posting it, in fact.

I chose to put it on the front page of the site for two reasons:

1) so it would show up to people who are just googling around and find the front page of the site
2) so it would not be part of the forum, which 99% of people come to directly when they log onto the site, because I didn't want Fr. George to be put in an awkward situation.

At any rate, I moved it off the front page a few weeks ago I think as it's no longer relevant anyway.

I would really like the articles page to be a place where multiple points of view are expressed and we have lots of active content. Kind of like Ancient Faith's blogs. I've tried to get people to submit content for years, but no one ever takes the bite. I posted Thomas's article because he asked me to. If someone else asked me to post an article from a different perspective, I would!

At this point, I can either:

1) Remove the article
2) Post some kind of anti-Trump editorial to balance it out.

I'll take suggestions.

But please don't assume that anyone except me had anything to do with posting the editorial.

If you can't donate any longer, I understand. But do keep in mind that I keep this site running and when I don't get enough donations, I pay for the site out of my own pocket. I don't agree with 75% of the stuff posted on this site. So keep it in perspective :)

Thank you,
Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
Right now, we have $164.81 in the treasury. I have been paying the site since September at a rate of $50/month as we did not have enough to renew for a year. So, $250 out of pocket since September. In order to renew for a year and reimburse me for the remainder, that would be $480 + $85 = $565 total needed.

Thank you,
Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
I'll have $20 dollars soon.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »
I'll see what I can do about a donation.

I would really like the articles page to be a place where multiple points of view are expressed and we have lots of active content. Kind of like Ancient Faith's blogs. I've tried to get people to submit content for years, but no one ever takes the bite. I posted Thomas's article because he asked me to. If someone else asked me to post an article from a different perspective, I would!
Yeah, this would be good. If I had more knowledge I might help.
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2017, 04:15:18 PM »
Just a reminder to those that wish to donate or have been thinking about it

and a thank you to those that have.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »
FYI: It seems that the in-forum Donation tracker is not accurately keeping records of who donated.  I'll notify Anastasios and see what we can do.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2017, 01:17:17 AM »
FYI: It seems that the in-forum Donation tracker is not accurately keeping records of who donated.  I'll notify Anastasios and see what we can do.

I am sure he knows. That hasn't been working since August 2014. At least the link for donating money now works.
"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

I am sure he knows. That hasn't been working since August 2014. At least the link for donating money now works.

Indeed it does - Anastasios has received at least 1/3 of the funds he requested above.  And we appreciate any further donations to help support the operation & mission of this site.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
A monthly reminder to those

that would like to donate to

OrthodoxChristianity.net.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter