Author Topic: Deleting threads?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Deleting threads?
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
I know the usual policy of this forum is not to delete threads, even if the creator requests deletion.

However, I could have sworn I saw a thread just disappear about an hour ago; a thread in which the poster attempted to promote his own blog post on the "visible vs. invisible church".

Was this thread deleted, or just moved to the private forum? I'm not exactly sure what happened. Not that I was particularly interested in the thread or anything. I'm just curious about how the forum operates.

Offline jewish voice

• High Elder
Re: Deleting threads?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:12:53 PM »
Mods have Jedi powers with their gree yellow and red lightsabers and now the worm hole  :D

Online TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:28:58 PM »
There is a place here, called Purgatory, where threads can be moved that no normal user(even those with private fora access, cannot see)

I've only saw one thread that left a trace of being moved there, and im sure it's filled with many threads that should never be seen again, but the mods have decided to not let us know they moved them.

That said, still not deleted but out of the public(and private) eye

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:40:48 PM »
Mods have Jedi powers with their gree yellow and red lightsabers and now the worm hole  :D

Huzzah!  :D
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Pity more things don't just vanish....the ability to do so in real life also would be grand... :laugh:

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
There is a place here, called Purgatory, where threads can be moved that no normal user(even those with private fora access, cannot see)
And may one draw upon the superabundant merits of our classiest users to end the purgatorial suffering of such threads?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 03:51:28 PM »
And may one draw upon the superabundant merits of our classiest users to end the purgatorial suffering of such threads?

We may pray for the people who make ye foolish posts, but they may still be Dumb.  :-X
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »
If only these alleged classy users existed...  :P
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline eddybear

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglodox
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
Is this a new OC.net fundraising initiative? "As soon as the coin in the e-transfer rings, the thread from purgatory springs"

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 05:33:09 PM »
Is this a new OC.net fundraising initiative? "As soon as the coin in the e-transfer rings, the thread from purgatory springs"
:laugh:

Of the threads that I know of that were moved to purgatory, I would pay to keep them there. Could that be the anti-indulgence?
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline eddybear

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglodox
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »
You mean, "As soon as Trisagion money pays, the thread in purgatory stays?"

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »
:laugh:

Of the threads that I know of that were moved to purgatory, I would pay to keep them there. Could that be the anti-indulgence?
Now this could be an effective fundraiser.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
Most forums wouldn't waste hard disk space on such a forum.  It's easier to delete.  If you know SQL with the right query you can even erase an entire user, their every post deleted across all forums.  Basically software like PhPBB, SMF (which this site runs) and others are interfaces over a database, usually an old fashioned SQL database as most forums aren't high traffic enough to benefit from the scalability of NoSQL, whereas they do benefit from referential integrity, which SQL provides.  It's not hard to write your own custom forum with a minimalist feature set; I know of one website that was run by a couple of nerds at the CS lab at the Univerisity of Lulea, one of the best engineering schools in Scandinavia, who ran a huge forum using software and hardware they built themselves.   And the forum was only a tiny part of their website, which generated substantial ad revenue from its photo DB (it was an aviation website) and was often used as a source of photos by the media when a crash or other aviation related story happened.  And the photographers got royalties with the site taking a cut.  It's still in business but has changed owners a few times, but it's still running the same increasingly dated software (which has been running with modifications and upgrades since the 1990s; it's years older than Twitter and a relic of the dotcom bubble), as replacing it would be a huge and possibly unsuccessful software engineering task. 

So I for one am, reflecting my Orthodoxy as a Christian and as a UNIX programmer, skeptical of purgatory.  Missing threads are surely cast into the lake of fire: hard disk space marked "unused", where they will suffer the torture of being overwritten with other data until the end of time.  The NSA according to rumor has the ability to recover data that's been repeatedly overwritten; I suspect this is exaggerated,mbut it does suggest an extended afterlife for deleted files as the byte patterns slowly degrade and succumb to corruption.
Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. No statements I make should be regarded as authoritative, regardless of tone. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Joha

• Elder
  • Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
Most forums wouldn't waste hard disk space on such a forum.  It's easier to delete.  If you know SQL with the right query you can even erase an entire user, their every post deleted across all forums.  Basically software like PhPBB, SMF (which this site runs) and others are interfaces over a database, usually an old fashioned SQL database as most forums aren't high traffic enough to benefit from the scalability of NoSQL, whereas they do benefit from referential integrity, which SQL provides.  It's not hard to write your own custom forum with a minimalist feature set; I know of one website that was run by a couple of nerds at the CS lab at the Univerisity of Lulea, one of the best engineering schools in Scandinavia, who ran a huge forum using software and hardware they built themselves.   And the forum was only a tiny part of their website, which generated substantial ad revenue from its photo DB (it was an aviation website) and was often used as a source of photos by the media when a crash or other aviation related story happened.  And the photographers got royalties with the site taking a cut.  It's still in business but has changed owners a few times, but it's still running the same increasingly dated software (which has been running with modifications and upgrades since the 1990s; it's years older than Twitter and a relic of the dotcom bubble), as replacing it would be a huge and possibly unsuccessful software engineering task. 

So I for one am, reflecting my Orthodoxy as a Christian and as a UNIX programmer, skeptical of purgatory.  Missing threads are surely cast into the lake of fire: hard disk space marked "unused", where they will suffer the torture of being overwritten with other data until the end of time.  The NSA according to rumor has the ability to recover data that's been repeatedly overwritten; I suspect this is exaggerated,mbut it does suggest an extended afterlife for deleted files as the byte patterns slowly degrade and succumb to corruption.

that's long for emptying the trash-bin right?
Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"
Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."

Online TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »
However, deleting threads have caused database issues in the past, or so im told, and that is why that place exists

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
If it did there's something broken in the forum software or server configuration that needs to be fixed.  If you can't do a simple delete table query without hosing the rest of the forum, that's bad.

And yes, what I said was short for emptying the trash bin.   Remember the del command from DOS?
Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. No statements I make should be regarded as authoritative, regardless of tone. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline Joha

• Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
if that is short.... I really... no really don't want to know what long would be....  :o ::)
Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"
Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »

It's amazing how "connected" we've all become with this site.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Joha

• Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
good point :)