Author Topic: What are "Polemics"  (Read 542 times)

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
What are "Polemics"
« on: May 06, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
I see the word, "Polemics" used in the forum rules (as in, they're not allowed in some forums). Even though there is a definition in the RULES, the definition uses another unfamiliar term: "pejorative language".
I've seen people chastised for engaging in polemics, but I usually can't figure out what they did to help me form a definition. I'm almost afraid to comment on certain posts because I don't want to inadvertently stray into polemics.
Can someone give a plain-english, non-academic definition of polemics, and pejorative language as they pertain to this site?
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: What are "Polemics"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
I would be any sort of strongly worded attack on another person. When you start calling other people heretics or something similar, you are engaging in polemics. Basically, be generally respectful of others on the forum. Don't be cruel, don't act self-righteous, etc. If you are discussing a particular issue and you disagree with someone, do so by explaining what you disagree with as opposed to telling them their belief is from the pit of hell or an equivalent criticism.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:41:12 PM by TheTrisagion »
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:53:55 PM »
Wikipedia is helpful with its definition.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:03:42 AM »
Bryan,
Just have it. When, where and why will be made clear as you go along.
I suggest you see what forum you are in, as some allow a light banter, some less so, some allow "contentious argument that is intended to support a specific position via attacks on a contrary position. Polemics are mostly seen in arguments about controversial topics."  (Thanks, Father)

Various forums have their rules. It took a lot for me to look which forum I was posting within.
As some forums you need permission to let fly.
Stick around, post, play and you'll learn.
It's only black and blue with usually no blood on the floor.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 07:16:29 AM »
Bryan,
Just have it. When, where and why will be made clear as you go along.
I suggest you see what forum you are in, as some allow a light banter, some less so, some allow "contentious argument that is intended to support a specific position via attacks on a contrary position. Polemics are mostly seen in arguments about controversial topics."  (Thanks, Father)

Various forums have their rules. It took a lot for me to look which forum I was posting within.
As some forums you need permission to let fly.
It's only black and blue with usually no blood on the floor.

If there is blood on your floor, you may need to see a doctor.  Or the police.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Bryan Paul

• The Visible Narrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »
I wish the posts would have some sort of visual queue (like a color code) as to which forum they're in (since we may not enter a post through the front door, as it were).
Yes, I've already learned the hard way once, but that's not particularly pleasant.
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »
I wish the posts would have some sort of visual queue (like a color code) as to which forum they're in (since we may not enter a post through the front door, as it were).
Yes, I've already learned the hard way once, but that's not particularly pleasant.

The visual cues are words; look for "Moderated Forum" above the thread.
When you get into "Private Forum", then you will have more liberties and responsibilities (that always comes with liberties).
After some time you will be a toughened up soap bubble!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:47:25 AM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Supreme Commander of the Joint Armed Warrior Services (JAWS) of the Oriental Orthodox Church
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Fr Seraphim Rose and the Twin Towers
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:50:36 AM »

I always enter posts "through the front door" rather than, say, "show unread replies since last visit" or "show new replies to your posts". 

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »

I always enter posts "through the front door" rather than, say, "show unread replies since last visit" or "show new replies to your posts".

WHOAA.
So how do I stay outta trouble? And go 'through the front door'?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »

I myself am a back door person.
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 11:02:14 PM »
WHOAA.
So how do I stay outta trouble? And go 'through the front door'?

The front door is usually visible from the street.
Selah

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 01:09:55 AM »

You need to keep that to yourself.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »

You need to keep that to yourself.

Problem with being out, loud & proud?
Two out of three, maybe?
One outta?
He's a zero?
 :'(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:38:15 AM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
Basically, as I understand it, a polemical way of expressing something would be, using the hypothetical example of a bishop you disagreed with in no uncertain terms, "Bishop X is a vile heresiarch, a false prophet leading the faithful astray."   A non-polemical would be to say "Bishop X is, I believe, greatly misguided, and I fear for the effects his erroneous theology might have on the Church."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:09:41 PM by wgw »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »
You can still be polemical without directly insulting a person.  It's just a matter of showing a sense of hostility or fight in your argumentation.  For instance, you could call a position poisonous or stupid, not necessarily the person.  That's "polemical".

In this forum there are different levels of discussion.  There is being informative, then there is being argumentative, then there's being polemical, then there's being insulting (only allowed in the private forum).  Then there's just random silliness as well.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Bryan Paul

• The Visible Narrator
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »
You can still be polemical without directly insulting a person.  It's just a matter of showing a sense of hostility or fight in your argumentation.  For instance, you could call a position poisonous or stupid, not necessarily the person.  That's "polemical".

In this forum there are different levels of discussion.  There is being informative, then there is being argumentative, then there's being polemical, then there's being insulting (only allowed in the private forum).  Then there's just random silliness as well.

That's the clearest explanation I've seen thus far. Thank you.

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 04:19:12 AM »

That's the clearest explanation I've seen thus far. Thank you.

Indeed, thank you Mina.