OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:49:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Subdeacons  (Read 4558 times) Average Rating: 0
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »

They are utterly useless.  done.   Wink Grin Tongue

We're the bishop's flunkies I was told. 

My husband refers to himself as a liturgical potted plant, or Chief Censer Holder.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »

You can't;
touch the altar or proskomedia table

In this part of the world altar servers can touch sacrifice table.

How recent that custom is?
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »

They are utterly useless.  done.   Wink Grin Tongue

We're the bishop's flunkies I was told.  

My husband refers to himself as a liturgical potted plant, or Chief Censer Holder.

My late father used to refer to sub-deacons as 'glorified (he didn't mean elevated to Sainthood either! lol) altar boys.' He would always chuckle at the memory of a headline in the Buffalo, NY paper following a huge pan-Orthodox liturgy during world war two which was attended by several thousand at the local concert hall during which several Greek altar boys were made sub-deacons by the then Archbishop Athenagoras. My dad was a newly ordained priest at the time and he remembered it well. The service was long, it was a hot summer Sunday and two of the about to be newly minted sub-deacons passed out at the critical moment. The headline ran: "Would-be Clerics Faint during Lengthy Service." Oh well....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:54:59 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »

I'm just a Reader (which I too refer to as "a glorified altar boy"  Grin ) but I pretty regularly set up the altar for feasts, ironing the altar linens and putting them on the altar and preparation tables, changing out the candles, etc. My priest told me he gave me an 'official' blessing to do so. I still, though, have to use only the Deacon doors. I just judge the straightness of the altar table cloth as best I can from the sides.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »

You can't;

How recent that custom is?

No idea.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »

I'm just a Reader (which I too refer to as "a glorified altar boy"  Grin ) but I pretty regularly set up the altar for feasts, ironing the altar linens and putting them on the altar and preparation tables, changing out the candles, etc. My priest told me he gave me an 'official' blessing to do so. I still, though, have to use only the Deacon doors. I just judge the straightness of the altar table cloth as best I can from the sides.

Same here.  My priest tried to get me ordained as a Sub-deacon because I was doing all this anyway.  The Bishop tonsured me a Reader and did not seem to express any objection to me continuing what I was doing with the Priest's blessing.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »

your priest may have "gave you his blessing" but try it in front of the bishop.  Just sayin' not everything priests let altar helpers do is exactly what the bishop would do.  And for priests its easy to get away with because the bishop doesn't come around that often to many parishes.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 02:40:41 AM »

Same here.  My priest tried to get me ordained as a Sub-deacon because I was doing all this anyway.  The Bishop tonsured me a Reader and did not seem to express any objection to me continuing what I was doing with the Priest's blessing.
In my experience the bishop may have been cool that time but have him pop in and catch ya doing it. If you have spent time with a rule bending priest who makes up his own liturgics and introduces latin bits and pieces on purpose during certain feasts and makes up his own words when reading the gospel, singles out people not-so-subtly in his homilies, screams at congregants, talks down to them and then hides in the altar and on and on then you would understand my dislike for "rule bending".  I wish the bishop would stop by for a weekend.  One hasn't visited in my estimation since 1996.

Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 12:37:39 AM »

You can't;

Same here. I refill the oil in the lamps, place/remove icons from under the altar, etc.

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2012, 03:49:09 AM »

No, they aren't. Subdeaconhood can be included in Facebook and OC.net usernames and profiles. That makes posts a lot more convincing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:51:07 AM by Alpo » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »

No, they aren't. Subdeaconhood can be included in Facebook and OC.net usernames and profiles. That makes posts a lot more convincing.

Grin

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »

You can't;

Same here. I refill the oil in the lamps, place/remove icons from under the altar, etc.

It looks like I meant table of preparation...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »

You can't;

Right..In Rocor we can fill lamps and putter around the table of preparation but can not touch the Altar Table

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »

You can't;

Ah! I'm sorry! That as well, though the only real reason I've had to touch it was to place the zeon there.

let us pray to the Lord.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:51 PM »

I am a subdeacon and have served in both ROCOR and Antiochian parishes as I moved around the country.

A Subdeacon's primary role is to serve as an assistant to the Bishop when he visits a parish, to assist him in robing and disrobing, provide him the symbols of his office and assist him by  holding the Dikirion (Greek: δικήριον or δίκηρον) and trikirion (τρικήριον or τρίκηρον) or liturgical candlesticks, used by a bishop of the Eastern Orthodox Churches to bless the clergy and faithful. Our placement is so  the bishop need only hold out his hands and the candles are there for his use and  our hands are there to received them and return them to the altar. We also position and remove the orlet  or eagle carpet that the bishop stands on when he blesses the people or gives his sermon. Inside the altar the subdeacon is basically at the bishops beckon and call for what ever the bishop wishes to be done. After the service I usually follow the bishop and assist him during the visit by getting his food, holding down the flood of those seeking to crush him as they seek his blessing etc. In ROCOR , I was assigned a retired bishop to assist  at Liturgies that he was present in but not serving. As many  Bishops are elderly, often the subdeacon assists them up and down stairs by offering them a steady arm or a hand and assures that they do not trip or fall injuring themselves.

When the bishop is not present I serve as a senior altar service, train new altar boys, monitor  the behavior of the boys behind the altar to assure respect and humble behavior is exhibited during the liturgical services. After wards I assist in the clean up of the Holy place assuring dust and candle spills are taken care of properly. At the end of the service I lead the prayers after communion for the congregation (a pious practice peculiar to my current parish). I also am the Catechumen Director in my parish and assist the inquirers and catechumen in meeting requirements that will lead to their baptism/chrismation.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:41:51 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »

whatever helps you sleep at night.   Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »

Altar serves wearing subdeacon's vestment Huh And he's so little guy...

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:38:31 PM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »

^ Ha ha...I've written about the boys fainting in 1944 at a pan-Orthodox Liturgy my dad participated in at Buffalo, NY. The headline read ' Would be Clerics Faint during four hour service.'   Smiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »

LOL.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »

I'm more curious about the chain the deacon is wearing over his vestments...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »

LOL

Panagia?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2013, 02:55:08 AM »

From how I understand it, traditionally there isn't an altar boy role. Rather, altar boys are assumed to be readers/subdeacons in training.

I know in the Antiochian parish I visit every so often, their altar boys are all dressed as subdeacons. However, their Bishop ordains some of them and allows them to get married after.

Yet in the OCA, or at least under our Bishop, and traditionally, you must be married prior to being made a subdeacon.

If there is just one subdeacon among several altar servers, he may act as sacristan.

The only difference between the vestments of an altar server and a sub-deacon is that the sub-deacon crosses his orarion over his chest. An altar server wears is straight, so what you thought were sub-deacons were probably altar servers. However, they are still blessed by the Bishop to the minor order of candle bearer.
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2013, 04:05:44 AM »

We may be the only Orthodox who do it, but a sub-deacon can chant the Great Litany and the two Little Litanies during the Divine Liturgy. It is always a very good idea to have a sub-deacon or other adult in the Altar to watch the Altar Boys and make them behave.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »

The only difference between the vestments of an altar server and a sub-deacon is that the sub-deacon crosses his orarion over his chest. An altar server wears is straight, so what you thought were sub-deacons were probably altar servers. However, they are still blessed by the Bishop to the minor order of candle bearer.

Russian tradition does not use orarions for servers.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »

I'm even more curious about moustache of the hierarch. That kind of moustache should be obligatory for every clergyman.
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »

Russian tradition does not use orarions for servers.

Actually, I don't either because the boys get them all tangled up or they fall off, but it is part of the Antiochian tradition.

Fr. John
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »

The deacon is wearing a cross. His rank would be Stavrophore Proto-/Archdeacon (he wears a kalimafki and has a double-length orarion, although that is standard for non-Russian churches). Priests and even Deacons who are outside the Russian tradition can receive crosses as an award for service.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »

The deacon is wearing a cross. His rank would be Stavrophore Proto-/Archdeacon (he wears a kalimafki and has a double-length orarion, although that is standard for non-Russian churches). Priests and even Deacons who are outside the Russian tradition can receive crosses as an award for service.

Wow, I never heard of such a thing. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

Wow, I never heard of such a thing. 

I also know of no Orthodox tradition in which a deacon wears a cross. The reason that all Russian Priests wear crosses is that one of the Tsarinas, I believe that it was Alexandria, was kissing the hands of deacons. So that she would who was a Priest and who was a Deacon,  Russian Priests began to wear crosses with different kinds of crosses indicating their rank. In other Orthodox traditions Priest have to be awarded the right to wear a cross. In Antiochian tradition, only an Archpriest or Arcimandrite wears a cross.

Fr. John Morris
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »

We may be the only Orthodox who do it, but a sub-deacon can chant the Great Litany and the two Little Litanies during the Divine Liturgy. It is always a very good idea to have a sub-deacon or other adult in the Altar to watch the Altar Boys and make them behave.

In ACROD, I've seen subsections chant one of the two lesser litanies, but not the Great and then only with a special blessing from the Bishop.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »

In ACROD, I've seen subsections chant one of the two lesser litanies, but not the Great and then only with a special blessing from the Bishop.

I'm pretty sure the same software techs that developed Boeing's tracking software had something to do with Android's auto-correct function...

Obviously I meant "subdeacons"  not "subsections" lest anyone fear yet another western  oddity is lurking within St. Peter Mohyla' s rubrics...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:45:45 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »

I have seen pictures of Greek-tradition altar boys wearing orarion-like vestments whose ends come together at the chest in a "v" but stop there. They appear to be sewn permanently that way, so that they would be slid over the head on top of the sticharion. Very peculiar to my eyes, I've never seen them in person. Any idea what they might be?

let us pray to the Lord.
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2014, 11:08:03 PM »

I have seen pictures of Greek-tradition altar boys wearing orarion-like vestments whose ends come together at the chest in a "v" but stop there. They appear to be sewn permanently that way, so that they would be slid over the head on top of the sticharion. Very peculiar to my eyes, I've never seen them in person. Any idea what they might be?
Anyone?  Tongue

let us pray to the Lord.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »

Anyone?  Tongue

In my 50 years' experience, I've only ever seen the "oraria" of Greek altarboys arranged in parallel at the front, and crossed at the back. I've never seen what you've described.  Undecided
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:34 PM »

Anyone?  Tongue

In my 50 years' experience, I've only ever seen the "oraria" of Greek altarboys arranged in parallel at the front, and crossed at the back. I've never seen what you've described.  Undecided

The difference between the vestments of a subdeacon and an altar server is that a subdeacon wears his orarion crossed in the front and back. An altar server only crosses it in the back. However, because boys tend to get their orarions tangled up or fiddle with them during the Divine Liturgy, my altar servers do not wear orarions.

Fr. John W. Morris
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2014, 12:02:48 AM »

Anyone?  Tongue

A picture, if it helps at all:

let us pray to the Lord.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2014, 12:12:12 AM »

V-neck oraria?  That's weird.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:16 AM »

reminds one of a Graduation hood.....for advanced degrees...in an odd way.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2014, 12:23:09 AM »

I'm pretty sure the same software techs that developed Boeing's tracking software had something to do with Android's auto-correct function...

Obviously I meant "subdeacons"  not "subsections" lest anyone fear yet another western  oddity is lurking within St. Peter Mohyla' s rubrics...

Yes, I was wondering about the "subsection" comment. Hey, if I eat barley, it might be fun to see what I would post as I get spacey from plain barley malt -- it does not need to be alcoholic.

I have heard Subdeacons chant the litanies especially when the priest is losing his voice and there is no Deacon. In one parish, a Reader was allowed to chant the litanies, but he was being prepared for his ordination to the Subdiaconate.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »

Anyone?  Tongue

The difference between the vestments of a subdeacon and an altar server is that a subdeacon wears his orarion crossed in the front and back. An altar server only crosses it in the back. However, because boys tend to get their orarions tangled up or fiddle with them during the Divine Liturgy, my altar servers do not wear orarions.

Fr. John W. Morris

It is the nature of boys to fiddle.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2014, 12:36:11 AM »

Indeed, and they don't look like they were intended to be that way, the pattern doesn't match where they are sewn together!

let us pray to the Lord.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2014, 01:06:38 AM »

Indeed, and they don't look like they were intended to be that way, the pattern doesn't match where they are sewn together!

It looks like a separate piece that is put on over the vestment, most likely with snaps to hold them in place. When I was singing in the choir, we put our robes on, then put something like that (V shaped) over the robe. There was a button to hold it in place.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheOldFellow
Subdeacon Richard

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Western Europe, EP.

theoldfellow
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »

On the topic of subdeacons saying the litanies, my situation may be enlightening.  My parish has no deacon, and our priest is ailing.  So I am frequently blessed to say Litanies.  This is not canonical, but I assume Father has the Bishop's blessing to allow it under economia.

INXC, Subdeacon Richard.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »

Subdeacon Richard, hopefully you get ordained to the diaconate eventually. That would regularise your situation and leave you free to concentrate on the deacon's duties, and then the other subdeacons can be normal subdeacons.
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »

I suspect that if someone had the time and the resources to research this matter, they would find that this style of orarion came from the sashes that Protestants frequently wear over their choir robes.

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: