OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:41:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I start a small parish mission where there is no Orthodox Church in the r  (Read 554 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
OC.net guru

« on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »

Hello, <wave>

Any ideas on how I can start a small orthodox mission when there is no Orthodox Church in my region?..thanks
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »

Contact the nearest bishop and state your intent.  Then start doing reader services if you know how to do them.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »

You may want to speak with any of the mission work related departments at the national church offices in the New York area, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, or the Orthodox Church in America, for advice.  Some of their related materials are on their websites.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »

Hello, <wave>

Any ideas on how I can start a small orthodox mission when there is no Orthodox Church in my region?..thanks
Generally speaking, in which region do you live?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »

All of these statements are correct, assuming one is already Orthodox. To the OP,

1. Are you? If not, begin by attending the nearest parish. Having had to drive 1.25 hours to attend services regularly, I can assure you it can be done until one is assisted by the church in establishing a mission.

2. Do what you can to study the Horologion (book of hours) which can be found numerous places online. Also a Menaion can be found online and this will assist you in the services. There are Reader's portions in the Horologion for anyone to read.
3. Are there any Orthodox in your area? If you don't know, an ad in the local paper wanted section may help. So might a local bulletin board posting for bible/church history study, hosted by you.
4. Local (as near as possible) Diocese of an Orthodox church... Contact them and tell them of your desire to learn services and the bible study. They may even have a retired priest or someone else who could assist you such as a missionary priest.

If you need more help, provide us with more info and we'll see what we can do! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:51:43 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:30:15 PM »

If you are Orthodox, and in America, you will have to find a bishop that will be able to accept you under his wing.  From there a bishop will instruct you in everything you need to know.   It would be good though if you are familiar with Orthodoxy an its way of worship.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:22 PM »

There's three Orthodox churches in Fort Worth. How far of a drive is that?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: