Author Topic: Where do we keep our Icons?  (Read 486 times)

Offline fasteddy64

Where do we keep our Icons?
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
When we were Baptized/Chrismated this past Sunday we were all given Icons of our patron saints.
Do they all go to our home's Icon corner or should each person keep their Saint's Icon in their room?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Where do we keep our Icons?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »
Either place is acceptable. There are no set-in-stone rules on this. What's important is that they be prayed before, and treated with appropriate respect.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline soderquj

• Transfiguration Greek Orthodox church
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Denver
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:20 AM »
This ^

I have Icons all over the place, even one in front of my Computer monitor.
O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
This ^

I have Icons all over the place, even one in front of my Computer monitor.

Me too. We have an icon 'corner' (it's a flat wall rather than a corner) but most rooms in the house are home to at least one icon.

We keep the family's patron saints all together in the icon 'corner' but I can't see anything wrong with having them in the appropriate person's bedroom either.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline maryofegypt

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »
Either place (icon corner or bedroom) is fine.   :)

In our home, we have icons of Christ, the Theotokos and major feast days in our icon corner, and everyone's patron saint is in their bedroom.  When our kids were little, I liked the idea of their patron saint "watching over them" in their rooms, and it just stuck as a habit.

We also have one small icon outside, hanging right by the front door.  And St. Euphrysonos in the kitchen.  They're everywhere.  ; )