OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 11:56:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are they serious? it it for real!  (Read 2181 times) Average Rating: 0
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« on: October 03, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »

https://www.ministerregistration.org/register.html

I clicked on this link for fun/curiosity. I expected it to at least be a six month course.
NOTHING --- no requirements or study, other then send them $99 bucks!
And agree to three things:
1)I believe in one true God.
2)I accept Jesus Christ.
3)I confess I'm a sinner and repent.

Then send $99.00 and you are ordained (in all 50 states) a minister - pastor. And you can do wedding, baptisms, open up a church.

BUT wait, there's more, for $22.95 you get a free ID stating you are an ordained pastor.

I have met a lot of people introduced to me as pastor. and never really considered them as anything special or priestly, cause i thought they prob got it via on line course. I knew someone who was doing it on line but it was a legitish 2 year course.

From now on when i meet someone and they tell me they are a pastor or minister I'm asking "oh nice to meet you, what seminary did you go to."

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:18:55 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »

I remember the good old days when people simoniacs suddenly died for their presumption.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »

lol

i did one of these online a long time ago.  it was free.  and i just did it with a couple of friends to be funny.  surly it wasnt actually legit, but im supposedly allowed to officiate weddings... ha!  never have though.  and never will.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:09 PM »

I clicked on this link for fun/curiosity. I expected it to at least be a six month course.
2)I accept Jesus Christ.

Then send $99.00 and you are ordained (in all 50 states) a minister - pastor. And you can do wedding, baptisms, open up a church.

BUT wait, there's more, for $22.95 you get a free ID stating you are an ordained pastor.

I have met a lot of people introduced to me as pastor. and never really considered them as anything special or priestly, cause i thought they prob got it via on line course. I knew someone who was doing it on line but it was a legitish 2 year course.

From now on when i meet someone and they tell me they are a pastor or minister I'm asking "oh nice to meet you, what seminary did you go to."

*Starts new competing website charging only $49.99*

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »

For a second i thought of doing it just as a joke, so i can say I'm a pastor. But then i thought probably not a good idea~there is probably some spiritual repercussions.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:50 PM »

2)I accept Jesus Christ.

*Starts new competing website charging only $49.99*
But required deposit fee of $49.99 additional to reserve your very own bible tabs!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »

lol

i did one of these online a long time ago.  it was free.  and i just did it with a couple of friends to be funny.  surly it wasnt actually legit, but im supposedly allowed to officiate weddings... ha!  never have though.  and never will.

Free....wow!

but did you get the id??
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »

lol

Free....wow!

but did you get the id??

it seems like it came with a certificate you could print out. quite honestly, i forgot i even did it a few days later. havent really thought much about it since. i certainly dont regard it as anything serious. it would be funny if i performed one of my buddy's wedding or something... ha!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:36:46 PM »

Wow really? I'll bet that for $200 I could start my own denomination as one of the countless American Protestant 'prophets'.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:18 PM »

Wow really? I'll bet that for $200 I could start my own denomination as one of the countless American Protestant 'prophets'.
And at $5000 you could predict the Rapture on a billboard.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:55:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:25:12 AM »

2)I accept Jesus Christ.

How old are you, Nikolaos? Us old crocks can smell a scam as obvious as this ten miles away.  Wink
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »

2)I accept Jesus Christ.

Um...

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 06:15:06 AM »

2)I accept Jesus Christ.

The cost has gone up.  It used to be $25.00.  It's legit.  I have made reference to this several times.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:18:44 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 06:17:01 AM »

You can do that for free.
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:56 AM »

Anybody can cheaply become an "ordained minster" from some fake group if they just want to be able to do an essentially secular wedding and be legally allowed to do it and register it with the state...

But I wouldn't say that a Protestant pastor you meet on the street probably did something like this.

I used to be Protestant, and at every church I saw, the senior pastor had at least an M.Div, the assistant pastor usually did, and the youth pastors had at least associate degrees (the 2 year program you mentioned), or more likely an MTM (5 yr min counting undergrad). Many senior pastors eventually got D.Min's.

An M.Div is a 3 year masters program (i.e. you have to do a 3-4 year bachelor's first) that cannot be done by distanc-ed (a north american requirement for an M.Div to be accredited is that it can't be distance ed).

So you can go get ordained for free if you want, but, you won't get a job as a pastor that way, you'll just be able to marry your friends.

To get a job as a pastor, you have to be hired by a church (i.e. a local congregation, normally there is nothing like a bishop involved, just the local congregation hires someone for the job...  with some groups like Lutherans who do have bishops, I don't know how hiring works there), and they aren't going to hire someone who doesn't have an M.Div.

It varies from denomination to denomination how "ordination" works. At the Baptist divinity school here, once you get an M.Div, I think you're recommended to be ordained by the local baptist association, but that doesn't make you a pastor, it's just a job requirement you get, then you actually have to get a job with a church to be a pastor.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:00:23 AM by Jonathan » Logged
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »

Anybody can cheaply become an "ordained minster" from some fake group if they just want to be able to do an essentially secular wedding and be legally allowed to do it and register it with the state...

But I wouldn't say that a Protestant pastor you meet on the street probably did something like this.

I used to be Protestant, and at every church I saw, the senior pastor had at least an M.Div, the assistant pastor usually did, and the youth pastors had at least associate degrees (the 2 year program you mentioned), or more likely an MTM (5 yr min counting undergrad). Many senior pastors eventually got D.Min's.

An M.Div is a 3 year masters program (i.e. you have to do a 3-4 year bachelor's first) that cannot be done by distanc-ed (a north american requirement for an M.Div to be accredited is that it can't be distance ed).

So you can go get ordained for free if you want, but, you won't get a job as a pastor that way, you'll just be able to marry your friends.

To get a job as a pastor, you have to be hired by a church (i.e. a local congregation, normally there is nothing like a bishop involved, just the local congregation hires someone for the job...  with some groups like Lutherans who do have bishops, I don't know how hiring works there), and they aren't going to hire someone who doesn't have an M.Div.

It varies from denomination to denomination how "ordination" works. At the Baptist divinity school here, once you get an M.Div, I think you're recommended to be ordained by the local baptist association, but that doesn't make you a pastor, it's just a job requirement you get, then you actually have to get a job with a church to be a pastor.

Job smob----i can start my own church!
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »

2)I accept Jesus Christ.

How old are you, Nikolaos? Us old crocks can smell a scam as obvious as this ten miles away.  Wink

Yea, always wanted to get a lic plate"TRSTNO1"...Xfiles line, the tv show.
thats always been my moto, trust no one, especially when $$ in involved!
I feel like im 80yr, i look like im 65yr, but im actually 47yr. Bummer hugh.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »

I sometimes wonder if clergy really need a several year degree to preach a homily and serve Communion

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 09:55:16 PM »

I sometimes wonder if clergy really need a several year degree to preach a homily and serve Communion

Yes they certainly do the first members of the clergy had a Masters degree in advanced fishing tactics Smiley
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

in advanced fishing tactics Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:14:38 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »

Many people of my generation have also been trained in advanced fishing tactics using this realistic simulation:

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »

Many people of my generation have also been trained in advanced fishing tactics using this realistic simulation:

I never got that training.  I am, however, highly trained in defending America from illegal aliens.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Is that a turntable in your Avatar?

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: