OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:05:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stages to conversion  (Read 3750 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »

wow!
 angel
so, u found a place where the Bible is taught. that sounds great!
don't wait to find a perfect place, even my church isn't perfect!
(since i joined it...)
 Wink

I wouldn't say it is perfect, every Church on earth has its problems.  Only the Church in the New Jerusalem is perfect.  It is important that we find a Church where we can grow spiritually despite its problems.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »

wow!
 angel
so, u found a place where the Bible is taught. that sounds great!
don't wait to find a perfect place, even my church isn't perfect!
(since i joined it...)
 Wink

I wouldn't say it is perfect, every Church on earth has its problems.  Only the Church in the New Jerusalem is perfect.  It is important that we find a Church where we can grow spiritually despite its problems.

What does "grown spiritually" mean to you?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
choy
Archon

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »

What does "grown spiritually" mean to you?

Become a better follower of Christ.  Better at prayer, better at fasting, better at dealing with other people.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:08 PM »

Uhm...I'm an Orthodox and I fast because Canon Law says so and I believe that I'm in a mortal sin if I don't fast just because of laziness or indifference. We believe that too.
Mortal sin because you had cheese on Friday? If struck down in the moment, you would be put before Christ, and he would say,

"Ye unfaithful servant! Thy charities and mercies art abominable, for thou hath neglected the weightier things when thou consumed those two string cheeses while peckish..."?

Come on. Most of the Christianity could be thrown away through "quotes" like that.

I agree it's not right to neglect the fast 'just 'cause', but mortal sin?

Well I grant that black and white distinction between mortal sins and venial sins is somewhat unknown in Orthodoxy but how superficial attitude towards Church's orders could be anything but extremely severe?

Wait...Alpo, do you believe in the distinction between venial and mortal sin as understood by Latin Catholics?

No but I like the idea of "mortal sin" since it emphasizes severeness of sin. Something we don't usually understand. Or at least I don't.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:19:14 PM by Alpo » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 02:10:46 AM »

Well I grant that black and white distinction between mortal sins and venial sins is somewhat unknown in Orthodoxy but how superficial attitude towards Church's orders could be anything but extremely severe?
Even if you used the distinction between mortal and venial, why would neglecting a fast day fall under mortal (I.E. spiritual death)? In the light of the words of Christ and of St. Paul?

I honestly don't think that the majority of Orthodox, who blow off a fasting day sometimes, are thereby incurring a sin unto death. Is it falling short (sin)? If done out of contempt, sure. Can that action stem from a greater contempt unto death? Sure. But let's call things what they are.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:14:10 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:42 AM »

Even if you used the distinction between mortal and venial, why would neglecting a fast day fall under mortal (I.E. spiritual death)? In the light of the words of Christ and of St. Paul?

I don't believe in Sola Scriptura.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »

There's a difference between Sola Scriptura and Nada Scriptura.

You can't respond to someone asking you to consider the words of Christ when making a theological statement with "I don't believe in sola scriptura." That wouldn't have flown five seconds with any of the Fathers, and it shouldn't fly on OC.net, either.

"Eutyches, consider where it is written, 'tempted like us in all things..."

"I don't believe in Sola Scriptura, Chancellor."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:53:42 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »

There's a difference between Sola Scriptura and Nada Scriptura.

You can't respond to someone asking you to consider the words of Christ when making a theological statement with "I don't believe in sola scriptura." That wouldn't have flown five seconds with any of the Fathers, and it shouldn't fly on OC.net, either.

"Eutyches, consider where it is written, 'tempted like us in all things..."

"I don't believe in Sola Scriptura, Chancellor."

LOL. I didn't mean Nada Scriptura. Rather, I was trying to say that even if Christ or Paul didn't say anything about sinfulness of breaking Church's orders that doesn't mean that it isn't a sin.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 12:42:50 AM »

Oh, okay.

I wasn't talking about an argument from silence. I was referring to what Christ and St. Paul said about fasting and the purity of foods, and a Christian's liberty with these things.

choy
Archon

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »

I got the sign I asked for.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2012, 05:29:01 AM »

please tell us more when you are able to.
may God increase your faith wherever you are.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »

Oh, okay.

I wasn't talking about an argument from silence. I was referring to what Christ and St. Paul said about fasting and the purity of foods, and a Christian's liberty with these things.

However the Church has authority to restrict Christian liberty. During and right after earthly life of Our Lord she didn't. Now she does.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:50:06 PM by Alpo » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »

I found the Protestant/Roman paths to conversion interesting in a cultural sense.

Here in Brazil,most converts from the Roman Church, start either as Ecumenist Eric or as Syncretic Simon (Roman statues and altars along with icons and Chrysostom's liturgy, Roman hymns, devotions and feasts along with Orthodox ones). Syncretic Simon, many times, was just a Roman who wanted to mix lots of folk superstitions with church offices and local Roman authorities forbade them, and they find in Orthodoxy - not very organized in Brazil - a clean field with no one physically close enough to even be sure of what they are doing, much less reprimend them.

Hyperdox Herman is an early stage only for converts from very traditionalist Roman background, coming with a "I am more Catholic than thou" attitude.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
choy
Archon

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »

please tell us more when you are able to.
may God increase your faith wherever you are.

I've invited the priest to our home so my wife can ask him questions.  I wouldn't say anything is certain right now.  I've raised my issues with my current Church and they are being heard by the bishop.  But we'll see.
choy
Archon

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »

I feel that every step I take, the entire process starts over.  I guess the reality of the process is starting to sink in, that we're actually about to do it.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: