OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:46:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renewed Like The Eagle's?  (Read 792 times) Average Rating: 0
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 02, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »

There are many references in the DL to one's youth being "renewed like the eagle's." What does this mean?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »

I think the Orthodox Jewish Bible makes the meaning of the Psalm quite clear:

Tehillim 103
Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
103 (Of Dovid). Barachi (Bless) Hashem, O my nefesh; and all that is within me, bless His Shem kodesh.
2 Barachi Hashem, O my nefesh, and forget not all His gmulim (benefits);
3 Who forgiveth all thine avonim (iniquities); Who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who is the Go’el (Redeemer) of thy life from shachat (corruption, pit, grave); Who crowneth thee with chesed and rachamim;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with tov; so that thy ne’urim is made chadash like the nesher.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20103&version=OJB

What a misagos . . .

Who would ever read such a thing? What is the point of this?

It's a weird translation. Basically eagles have been fancifully thought (much like a phoenix but much less dramatic fashion) to renew themselves throughout life and reach incredible longevity.

It is simile / metaphor of this process of renewal which has little to no concrete basis within any known eagle's life cycle.

It's poetry with allusions divorced from our own experience.

That's all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:22:46 AM »

I think the Orthodox Jewish Bible makes the meaning of the Psalm quite clear:

Tehillim 103
Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
103 (Of Dovid). Barachi (Bless) Hashem, O my nefesh; and all that is within me, bless His Shem kodesh.
2 Barachi Hashem, O my nefesh, and forget not all His gmulim (benefits);
3 Who forgiveth all thine avonim (iniquities); Who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who is the Go’el (Redeemer) of thy life from shachat (corruption, pit, grave); Who crowneth thee with chesed and rachamim;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with tov; so that thy ne’urim is made chadash like the nesher.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20103&version=OJB

What a misagos . . .

Who would ever read such a thing? What is the point of this?

An Orthodox Christian one for the NT would be awesome.

"Fear him who is able to apolesai both Psyche and Soma in Gehenna..."

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »

Quote from: orthonorm link=topic=47303.msg815095#msg815095
Who would ever read such a thing?

People who think vocalising a particular word is the same as understanding it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:06:44 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »

Exactly, when I scanned the index and saw the term 'The Eagles' I first thought of the rock band, then the football team in trying to figure out the topic before I clicked on it! (Using the word 'The' to preface eagles as opposed to 'an eagle'  changes the context completely to American English speakers.)
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »

Exactly, when I scanned the index and saw the term 'The Eagles' I first thought of the rock band, then the football team in trying to figure out the topic before I clicked on it! (Using the word 'The' to preface eagles as opposed to 'an eagle'  changes the context completely to American English speakers.)

That's true, although, in my defense, that's how we say it in the Liturgy in the OCA. "Like the eagle's."

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »

There are many references in the DL to one's youth being "renewed like the eagle's." What does this mean?

It's about actual eagles, who "renew their youth" by, IIRC, striking their beaks on rocks which takes off old layers and allows the beak to grow and look new. This is what I remember at least from a footnote somewhere. Doubtless, an ornithologist could explain better.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »

It's about actual eagles, who "renew their youth" by, IIRC, striking their beaks on rocks which takes off old layers and allows the beak to grow and look new. This is what I remember at least from a footnote somewhere. Doubtless, an ornithologist could explain better.

Except it doesn't happen as I suggested above, except when some go mad and do such self harm as they die.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:30:38 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »

The football team has no apostrophe.  just sayin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »

That's true, although, in my defense, that's how we say it in the Liturgy in the OCA. "Like the eagle's."

On a serious note - for those of us whose English liturgy is not that of the OCA, please provide the context for the phrase. Thanks!
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »

The football team has no apostrophe.  just sayin

Got me there!
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »

On a serious note - for those of us whose English liturgy is not that of the OCA, please provide the context for the phrase. Thanks!

By this, do you mean that you want me to tell you where in the Liturgy it appears, or that I should have mentioned it was a quote from the OCA liturgy in the OP?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 03:30:18 PM »

It is a line from Psalm 102, the First Antiphon. However, most parishes sing an abridged version of this antiphon so one doesn't ordinarily hear this line at a Sunday liturgy.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »

Actually those who follow the Constantinopolitan practice don't sing the 102nd Psalm as the First Antiphon either in full or in part, hence the unfamiliarity. I recall this discussion in an earlier thread as it refers to 1838 revisions of Constantinople. One of the confusing things about that date and the relative 'antiquity' of one form over the other was that the Greek Catholics of central Europe seemed to follow the 1838 revisions which is hard to understand given that the unions dated to the 17th century.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »

Ah, I did not know that ACROD followed the revised rite. I know that psalm 102 though is still used as the First Antiphon in Greek monasteries (they sang the full psalm at Holy Protection Monastery this Monday).

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »

Ah, I did not know that ACROD followed the revised rite. I know that psalm 102 though is still used as the First Antiphon in Greek monasteries (they sang the full psalm at Holy Protection Monastery this Monday).

I have my old Greek Catholic Slavonic Typicon here somewhere first published in 1938 in Presov ..... Psalm 102 is prescribed as an alternative and for use during Lent. It still strikes me as odd that the 'revised' rite is traced to the early 19th century. If so, why would the Greek Catholics have adopted it since they did not, for example, follow the Nikonian reforms?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: