OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings and Salutations  (Read 410 times) Average Rating: 0
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« on: October 02, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

Just wanted to introduce myself, since my one and only post in the boards thus far was a "yes" in the See You At the Pole thread.

Hopefully doing this isn't too presumptuous. 

My name is Lee Krempel.  I suppose my "Orthodox" name is Gregory, after my patron St. Gregory of Nyssa.
30 yrs old. Live in Baltimore City, about 2 block from Camden Yards (Go O's!!!) and about 5 block from M&T Bank Stadium (Go Ravens!!!).

I teach English at a local Community College (though I get my "loose English" out on the internet, so don't play the English teacher card on me). 

I am a convert.  Baptized Roman Catholic and most of my family is still Catholic on both sides -- Polish on one, Italian on the other.  I was primarily raised Pentecostal (Church of God, then Assemblies of God) by my mother and father, who left Catholicism when I was a kid.  Converted through the OCA by a priest that I'm convinced God placed in my path.  One of the most amazing men of God I'll ever know -- Fr. John Parsells, in Berlin, MD.  Used to be in Dagsboro, DE, in case any of you have been to the Christ the Savior mission parish there.

My wife and I (my wife, who is not yet Orthodox) moved (back) to Baltimore a few months ago for her job (she's a producer for a local NPR radio show), and I now attend Holy Cross Antiochian.

I have been a lurker here for a while, just reading the thoughts, comments, and debates on various issues.  I still probably won't post that much, because when it comes to debating and online discussions, I have an addictive personality.  Since I already a) participate in one another message board, and b) get into political and theological "discussions" on Facebook all the time, I'm afraid to commit to another board on a regular basis.  My wife will need to see me every once in a while, I'm assuming.

Reading this message board, though none of you knew it, was instructive and a part of my catechumenate.  Subjects and controversies covered here sometimes popped up in my discussions with my priest -- for good or ill.  Nonetheless, they did.

Anyway.  As I said, this might be rather droll and...egotistical...of me to post.  But so be it.  Everyone have a great day.  And next time I post a random one word post in a thread, at least you'll know what weirdo posted it.

Peace.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »

Welcome to the Forum!  Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »

I find it a little spooky that people place so much personal information about themselves on the internet.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!  Smiley
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »

I find it a little spooky that people place so much personal information about themselves on the internet.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!  Smiley

Does that seem like a lot?  Seemed like general info to me. 

Peace.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »

Well, you could have omitted the exact location of your home, and where your wife works, etc.

In other words, if anyone got mad at you and wished to find you, you've made it really easy for them.

We're interested, so, it's not too much in that sense....only in the sense of your personal safety.

However, with today's technology, almost anyone can find anyone if they put in a bit of effort.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »

Well, you could have omitted the exact location of your home, and where your wife works, etc.

In other words, if anyone got mad at you and wished to find you, you've made it really easy for them.

there is a line already forming at my door -- of people who know where I live and don't appreciate my political perspective -- from Facebook.  I suppose I'll need to tell them to form two lines.

Peace.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »

Welcome, vwelcome!  Grin
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »

I uploaded my genome once.

Anyway, you have terrible taste in music, TV, literature, but OK taste in film.

Welcome.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »

I uploaded my genome once.

Anyway, you have terrible taste in music, TV, literature, but OK taste in film.

Welcome.

haha okay.  that was quick.

Peace.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »

perhaps it is you waiting outside my house -- are you ready to go to the mat over my love of bob dylan and john coltrane?

Peace.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:54 PM »

When orthonorm says "you have terrible taste in music, TV, literature" what that translates to is:

- he only likes music by people he has met, can pretend he has met, or can tell a story about meeting

- he freely admits that his taste in TV is that of a teenage girl

- he only likes really obscure literature; if you've read anything mainstream (like Nietzsche) he'll tell you that you don't understand it correctly like he does

Wink
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »

- he only likes music by people he has met, can pretend he has met, or can tell a story about meeting
HAHAHA fair enough

So...perhaps I should get his opinion on the season finale of Grey's Anatomy?

- he only likes really obscure literature; if you've read anything mainstream (like Nietzsche) he'll tell you that you don't understand it correctly like he does

Wink
Oh, so he's a 23 year old graduate student?   Wink

Peace.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »

HAHAHA fair enough

So...perhaps I should get his opinion on the season finale of Grey's Anatomy?

Wink
Oh, so he's a 23 year old graduate student?   Wink

* just likes to hate.

And what teenage girl watches Grey's Anatomy?

Once I went into a McDonald's for breakfast to find out about a show called Wildfire that was running as a marathon.

I stayed for dinner.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »

Welcome, deep roots!!  Hope you put a few down here.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:32:32 AM »

We're interested, so, it's not too much in that sense....only in the sense of your personal safety.

This. Let me assure that I didn't want you to feel unwelcome. I'm just a bit paranoid about privacy on internet. Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:45 AM »

Welcome brother.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:03 AM »

Just wanted to introduce myself, since my one and only post in the boards thus far was a "yes" in the See You At the Pole thread.

Hopefully doing this isn't too presumptuous.  

My name is Lee Krempel.  I suppose my "Orthodox" name is Gregory, after my patron St. Gregory of Nyssa.
30 yrs old. Live in Baltimore City, about 2 block from Camden Yards (Go O's!!!) and about 5 block from M&T Bank Stadium (Go Ravens!!!).

I teach English at a local Community College (though I get my "loose English" out on the internet, so don't play the English teacher card on me).  

I am a convert.  Baptized Roman Catholic and most of my family is still Catholic on both sides -- Polish on one, Italian on the other.  I was primarily raised Pentecostal (Church of God, then Assemblies of God) by my mother and father, who left Catholicism when I was a kid.  Converted through the OCA by a priest that I'm convinced God placed in my path.  One of the most amazing men of God I'll ever know -- Fr. John Parsells, in Berlin, MD.  Used to be in Dagsboro, DE, in case any of you have been to the Christ the Savior mission parish there.

My wife and I (my wife, who is not yet Orthodox) moved (back) to Baltimore a few months ago for her job (she's a producer for a local NPR radio show), and I now attend Holy Cross Antiochian.

I have been a lurker here for a while, just reading the thoughts, comments, and debates on various issues.  I still probably won't post that much, because when it comes to debating and online discussions, I have an addictive personality.  Since I already a) participate in one another message board, and b) get into political and theological "discussions" on Facebook all the time, I'm afraid to commit to another board on a regular basis.  My wife will need to see me every once in a while, I'm assuming.

Reading this message board, though none of you knew it, was instructive and a part of my catechumenate.  Subjects and controversies covered here sometimes popped up in my discussions with my priest -- for good or ill.  Nonetheless, they did.

Anyway.  As I said, this might be rather droll and...egotistical...of me to post.  But so be it.  Everyone have a great day.  And next time I post a random one word post in a thread, at least you'll know what weirdo posted it.

Thank you for the post and welcome! I wondered what became of the mission parish on the Coastal Highway in Fenwick, DE. The cross is still on the building but it has appeared vacant the past several years and the front lawn is littered with political signs this month! I hope that they publicize their presence in the Ocean City/Bethany Beach area as only the Greek Church has its information at most hotels and condos along the shore. Berlin is a charming Eastern Shore town and I would encourage vacationers not to be dissuaded by the ten miles or so it is from OC. In addition to visiting the parish, one could combine a day trip to Assateague Island National Seashore or any number of over attractions in the area! http://orthodoxdelmarva.org/  If I recall, the Greek parish is right on the Coastal Highway near the high rise condo district at about 90th Street or so.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:07:30 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »

Thank you for the post and welcome! I wondered what became of the mission parish on the Coastal Highway in Fenwick, DE. The cross is still on the building but it has appeared vacant the past several years and the front lawn is littered with political signs this month! I hope that they publicize their presence in the Ocean City/Bethany Beach area as only the Greek Church has its information at most hotels and condos along the shore.
'
It has finally, within the past year, planted roots in an owned facility.  Quite beautiful, actually.  If you're ever back down that way and are interested, check out the website to see where they are.  It's a beautiful little parish with a one of a kind priest.

Peace.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: