Author Topic: What is the distinction between Nature and Essence?  (Read 234 times)

Offline Shiranui117

• Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"
  • PUDDI PUDDI!
What is the distinction between Nature and Essence?
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »
Exactly what it says on the tin. I know that Nature and Essence are sometimes used interchangeably, but what are the ways that "nature" and "essence" differ, and how exactly do they differ?

For example, is it the case that there is a general human "nature," but there is also a particular "essence" of a specific person, i.e. Peter and Paul share the same human "nature," but each has a different "essence"?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
Re: What is the distinction between Nature and Essence?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »
I can't wait for this thread . . .

Paging 2500 years of Western Thought!

Lest I cause some to explode by this suggestion, I would just start with an overview of sorts. Start with essence and click around wikipedia for a while. (Yes, I did wikipedia.)

It should give you a decent overview the problems and history of this question.

Otherwise, I fear you will not get much more than tired and inaccurate analogies or a very heavy and poorly chosen reading list.

Then whatever particular questions you find most interesting after clicking through the history of thought, you can examine them in greater detail.

EDIT: Skip wikipedia's weird bias when including Buddhist and other non-Western notions of "essence" and other such topics. It will just save you time and what you read is just filtered through the lens of Western metaphysics anyhow.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:38:21 PM by orthonorm »
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.