OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:42:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the distinction between Nature and Essence?  (Read 136 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »

Exactly what it says on the tin. I know that Nature and Essence are sometimes used interchangeably, but what are the ways that "nature" and "essence" differ, and how exactly do they differ?

For example, is it the case that there is a general human "nature," but there is also a particular "essence" of a specific person, i.e. Peter and Paul share the same human "nature," but each has a different "essence"?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »

I can't wait for this thread . . .

Paging 2500 years of Western Thought!

Lest I cause some to explode by this suggestion, I would just start with an overview of sorts. Start with essence and click around wikipedia for a while. (Yes, I did wikipedia.)

It should give you a decent overview the problems and history of this question.

Otherwise, I fear you will not get much more than tired and inaccurate analogies or a very heavy and poorly chosen reading list.

Then whatever particular questions you find most interesting after clicking through the history of thought, you can examine them in greater detail.

EDIT: Skip wikipedia's weird bias when including Buddhist and other non-Western notions of "essence" and other such topics. It will just save you time and what you read is just filtered through the lens of Western metaphysics anyhow.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:38:21 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: