OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:53:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing my hair out  (Read 894 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« on: October 01, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »

Hey everyone.

Right now I'm attempting (for the ump-teenth time) to grow my hair and beard out. My questions are:

Will I be looked down upon in the Church? Do you think my priest will tell me to cut it?

Do adults get tonsured when baptized/chrismated?

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »

Will I be looked down upon in the Church?

Not if they're good Christians minding their own sins and refraining from judging others.

Do you think my priest will tell me to cut it?

Unless you're growing it out of vainglory and he feels it's spiritually beneficial for you to do so, I don't see why he would.

Yes, but it will just be 4 small locks of hair, it won't really be noticeable.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »

I have dry skin under my lengthy beard, how do monks handle this?
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »

I'm doing it for a few reasons. One, because I feel it is wrong for me, personally, to cut it as God intended me to have long hair and a beard (if I was supposed to be clean shaven, God wouldn't have given me the ability to grow a beard). Two, because I look at it as a symbol of my spiritual growth. Three, Saint Clement:

"How womanly it is for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, and to arrange his hair at the mirror, shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them!...For God wished women to be smooth and to rejoice in their locks alone growing spontaneously, as a horse in his mane. But He adorned man like the lions, with a beard, and endowed him as an attribute of manhood, with a hairy chest—a sign of strength and rule." -St. Clement of Alexandria

And fourth: I've always wanted to Tongue

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »

Maybe Head and Shoulders shampoo?

— St. John Chrysostom
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »

T-Gel shampoo will resolve that flaky skin or a good dandruff shampoo---that is all it is ---from mild dandruff to seborrheic dermatitis.

I works I use it regularly 1-2 X week to take care of my beard and I no longer have flaky kin under my beard.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:11 AM »

Laymen with long hair used to visit Elder Paisios on the Holy Mountain. He would chase them around with a scissors offering to give them a free tonsure.

Long hair on laymen is a little effeminate. Not as bad as earrings, but...

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:49 AM »

T-Gel shampoo will resolve that flaky skin or a good dandruff shampoo---that is all it is ---from mild dandruff to seborrheic dermatitis.

I works I use it regularly 1-2 X week to take care of my beard and I no longer have flaky kin under my beard.

Thomas

A tad TMI, Thomas.  Grin

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »

I'm doing it for a few reasons. One, because I feel it is wrong for me, personally, to cut it as God intended me to have long hair and a beard (if I was supposed to be clean shaven, God wouldn't have given me the ability to grow a beard).
So do you also not cut your fingernails or toenails, wash off your natural bodily oils, brush your teeth, etc?  Smiley

Also, until the 15th Century, Orthodox clergy didn't grow long head hair.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:18:45 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 01:20:09 AM »

-St. Clement of Alexandria
He also says that morning sex between married people shouldn't be done because it's animalistic, as the rooster is awake at that time and you should spend morning free time praying instead.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:20:28 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 01:24:09 AM »

I'm doing it for a few reasons. One, because I feel it is wrong for me, personally, to cut it as God intended me to have long hair and a beard (if I was supposed to be clean shaven, God wouldn't have given me the ability to grow a beard).
So do you also not cut your fingernails or toenails, wash off your natural bodily oils, brush your teeth, etc?  Smiley

Also, until the 15th Century, Orthodox clergy didn't grow long head hair.

I've seen many claims for Orthodox not doing X prior to the 15th century, but no proof. Also, I think this claim of yours would except monastics, yes? Apart from the tonsure.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:21 AM »

-St. Clement of Alexandria
He also says that morning sex between married people shouldn't be done because it's animalistic, as the rooster is awake at that time and you should spend morning free time praying instead.

Exactly right.

Aren't there enough non-festal, non-fast Monday nights in the year?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:29:28 AM »

I've seen many claims for Orthodox not doing X prior to the 15th century, but no proof.
The typical proof given afaik is that there are no icons depicting scraggly long-haired presbyters/bishops until after that time.

Also, I think this claim of yours would except monastics, yes? Apart from the tonsure.

Yes, it would. Except, I would suppose, for monastic bishops in big sees like Constantinople. St. John Chrysostom would be a good example.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:29:48 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:52:02 AM »

Thank you. I take that as a compliment. angel Maybe I should post a picture about my moustache...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:58:12 AM by Alpo » Logged
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 10:18:35 AM »

I am really dense and naive ,I did not get Shanghaiski's "X" comment earlier--- when I wrote 1-2X a week. the X meant times (I work in a medical setting ) not the X that Shanghaiski meant  Grin

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »

I am really dense and naive ,I did not get Shanghaiski's "X" comment earlier--- when I wrote 1-2X a week. the X meant times (I work in a medical setting ) not the X that Shanghaiski meant  Grin

X=fill in the blank

kiloelectronVolt

Faith: 12-Step Recovery
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »

Long-haired guy here.  My hair is down to the middle of my back, and has been since I was in high school (I'm 46 now).  I have no intention of cutting it, ever.  As a hanger-on at my local Orthodox parish -- I would call myself a catechumen, but I have no idea if that is how I'm regarded as nobody really seems to want to go out of their way to have that or any other conversation with me -- anyhoo, as a hanger-on I have always had it tied back when I visit (I rarely miss a service, but sometimes leave when Orthros ends and Liturgy begins because I don't feel like a participant in Liturgy and I really only stay for Liturgy when I want to hear the homily and put a check in the plate).  I have always tried to be respectful and do nothing to draw attention to myself, so I take pains not to appear in Church with my hair down, except for one instance when I came to Vespers immediately after a football game and forgot to tie it back and I got a few "WTF?" looks. 
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 03:05:05 AM »

Hey everyone.

Right now I'm attempting (for the ump-teenth time) to grow my hair and beard out. My questions are:

Will I be looked down upon in the Church? Do you think my priest will tell me to cut it?

He might tell you to cut it, but I seriously doubt it would be in the sense of "You must cut your hair!" as opposed to "You look like a hippy, go cut your hair."

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

Thank you. I take that as a compliment. angel Maybe I should post a picture about my moustache...

Yes please.
Hello Finland. Norway says hi.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: