OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we do it?  (Read 496 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: October 05, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »

Lately, there has been a lot of discussion concerning the violence and persecution, directed against christians, in the Middle East. This mad eme think about something. I think most of us are familiar with cases, where orthodox christians have acted violent against non-orthodox religions in orthodox countries.
Churches being set on fire, pentecostals having their church demolished and jehovah's Witnesses being attacked in public to mention a few examples.
I am in no way saying that these two forms of persecution should be considered equal in measure, however, can we, as orthodox christians, allow ourselves to criticise the muslim world, when many people are experiensing discrimination in orthodox countries?  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:58:20 AM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:20:26 AM »

Lately, there has been a lot of discussion concerning the violence and persecution, directed against christians, in the Middle East. This mad eme think about something. I think most of us are familiar with cases, where orthodox christians have acted violent against non-orthodox religions in orthodox countries.
Churches being set on fire, pentecostals having their church demolished and jehovah's Witnesses being attacked in public to mention a few examples.
I am in no way saying that these two forms of persecution should be considered equal in measure, however, can we, as orthodox christians, allow ourselves to criticise the muslim world, when many people are experiensing discrimination in orthodox countries?  

Yes. We should be criticising any persecution anywhere regardless of whether the perpetrators or the victims are Orthodox. The governments and people in predominantly Orthodox countries shouldn't get let off without criticism, but nor should the fact that abuses exist within our sphere prevent us from criticising similar, or worse, abuses elsewhere.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »

I do not think that having our Churches burned down and being killed or raped by Muslims really compares to other religious minorities in Orthodox countries being picked on or called name by some rude individuals who are Orthodox.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:52:34 PM »

I need more specific examples before I can even begin to form a response. Thanks

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »

I need more specific examples before I can even begin to form a response. Thanks

Well, there's this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16EYUBumrg

and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72jAhjVoKRA&feature=related

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2012/September/Russian-Government-Demolishes-Pentecostal-Church/

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: