OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 01:12:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icons  (Read 340 times) Average Rating: 0
Ivanov

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

St Theophan the Recluse

« on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »

I am still learning. I have a number of prints of icons. I have had 2 blessed. Those that I have yet to have blessed... are they not considered an icon until they are blessed. I have icons in my bedroom in addition to my prayer corner. I guess my question would be: are the images I have not had blessed yet still considered icons, and if not, then is it wrong to pray before them in my prayer corner or in other places in my house where there is an icon (not yet blessed)?

Thanks!

Ivanov
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:55:39 PM by Ivanov » Logged

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »

Yes all are considered Icons. Blessing them sets them apart as a Holy object.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Ivanov

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:23 PM »

Thanks for your help!...  Understood re: blessing=holy objects. I should have been more specific... Recognizing the difference, is it still appropriate to have an unblessed icon displayed and to pray before it reverently?

Thanks again!

I

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
Servos

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Belgrade

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »

Maybe you can find useful:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47067.0.html
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: