OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:08:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible  (Read 2805 times) Average Rating: 0
lord doog

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: October 01, 2012, 09:09:22 AM »

Has anyone ever used this commentary before? My priest mentioned it was good but since it was written by a Protestant I don't know if it will have completely Orthodox teachings and views. Your thoughts?

“Many times I spoke, and as a result felt sorry, but I never regretted my silence.”  -Saint Arsenius the Great
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »

Many of the earlier Protestants were quite sensible in regards to Biblical issues.

You may want to take a look at John Wesley's commentary. Wesley's understanding of salvation and sanctification was strongly influenced by his reading of the Early Church Fathers. It was the similarity of theosis (Orthodox) and entire sanctification (Methodist) that helped me feel very much at home in Orthodoxy when I began to study it carefully.

As always, if anything seems amiss, you can discuss it with your priest.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »

Has anyone ever used this commentary before? My priest mentioned it was good but since it was written by a Protestant I don't know if it will have completely Orthodox teachings and views. Your thoughts?

I've got the whole thing--thank you Borders for going out of business. It's a good basic commentary. It does not go into deep stuff.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »

You can access those plus a few others at this bible site for free, when you look up verses the commentaries are listed below , this site is the best all around bible source, it lists 11 different bibles when you look up verses, all very easy to use.

http://biblecc.com/

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: