OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:45:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking photos in church  (Read 1822 times) Average Rating: 0
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

LOL!  No wonder my ears were burning!  Wink

Do you think I have fallen off the deep end? 

I just love Orthodoxy sooooo much!  ....and find it to be so beautiful that I want to share it!  Smiley

your ears are burning, cause...um....well, you kinda hot, i see from your pics Cheesy

wish everyone fell off the deep end for Orthodoxy!

You do Orthodoxy justice with your pictures. they are so lovely, that I might not minde so much if i saw you taking pics during liturgy.

With artistic photography i believe the main goal is to capture a feeling. it seams to come easy to you!
your pictures represent (to me) a feeling i get sometimes during church or shortly after, its a feeling that's mysterious, magical, blessed, holy, peacefull....cant put it into words, sounds corny. its a feeling that i don't think can be represented with words. wonder if anyone else has felt something like this.

One time in church a older couple (non Orthodox) sat behind me for the DL. when i returned after comunion and walked by them i overheard a part of there conversation, they said "something is going on here, theres a beauty and Holiness happening we don't feel at our church." lets get more info from the priest". always wondered if its what i felt that they were feeling also.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »

LOL!  No wonder my ears were burning!  Wink

Do you think I have fallen off the deep end? 

I just love Orthodoxy sooooo much!  ....and find it to be so beautiful that I want to share it!  Smiley

your ears are burning, cause...um....well, you kinda hot, i see from your pics Cheesy

...blushing.....really I'm not.

wish everyone fell off the deep end for Orthodoxy!

You do Orthodoxy justice with your pictures. they are so lovely, that I might not minde so much if i saw you taking pics during liturgy.

With artistic photography i believe the main goal is to capture a feeling. it seams to come easy to you!
your pictures represent (to me) a feeling i get sometimes during church or shortly after, its a feeling that's mysterious, magical, blessed, holy, peacefull....cant put it into words, sounds corny. its a feeling that i don't think can be represented with words. wonder if anyone else has felt something like this.

YES!  That's what I am going for....and what I wish to share!!!  Absolutely!!!

It's NOT corny! 

I agree, there are some Sunday's when you get in the "zone" and it's just beyond anything words can describe.

You're not alone with that feeling! 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »

It's also most important to disable any sounds the (digital) camera makes, such as the bleep during focusing, the mock shutter sound, etc. If the camera is silent, then the distraction and annoyance factor is practically eliminated.

I have taken thousands of pictures in churches (film and digital) over many years, with permission, and without any complaints from anyone. Like Liza, I am frequently asked by priests and others to take pictures during special services, because they're happy with my work.

Me too, disabling sounds is a must....be discreet and don't become the focal point of the event. A good photographer can take a relatively inexpensive 'point and shoot' digital (under $400) and with basic knowledge of light, settings etc.. take wonderful pictures without all of the trappings of a $2000 set of SLR's, tripods, lens and showmanship etc...
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 01:03:50 AM »

Beautiful photos, as always, Liza Smiley

Keeping it real, will it offend God that much if you snap a few shots, even of Him in the chalice and other sacraments?  A God as vast and loving as ours can't be that bothered by such a thing.

Understandably, some don't want it for whatever reason.  I think, maybe you should just take whatever photos you wish, until you're told not to (or see a sign!). 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:04:30 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:16 AM »

Hi, Lisa!

I'm sorry for that lady's reaction. She probably took you for some kind of paparazzi, although I'm convinced you didn't act like one.
I know there are monasteries where they don't allow taking photos of monastics or inside the church during services (or even in the monastery), but the parishes should be more welcoming.
I bought a D3100 this summer, but I didn't have the courage to take photos of the church during Divine Liturgy yet Smiley But I did take some during a wedding service.

It's best if you could forgive the lady and try to reconcile with her.

God bless!

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

well I get the feeling that photos during the liturgy should not be taken because the liturgy is supposed to be... well, not in time so to say. Outside of time/

So taking a picture would thus be attempting to bring it to a worldly manner which is not good.

Just my take. and I feel pictures should not be taken during the liturgy of the faithful

just my opinion though

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
converted viking

Faith: EOC
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »

Liza:

I don't see anything wrong with you taking the pictures in church especially in light of the fact that the priest didn't have a problem with it.   If  one was using big obnoxious strobe lights. noisy motor drives and trampling people to get the shots then that would be another story.   I have some thoughts about the little old lady but I will refrain from posting them.

Seraphim
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 08:30:40 PM »

Liza,

I, for one, do not find these "overzealous" yiayiadhes and babushki to be amusing or endearing. In fact, I think they are a big problem.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »

i guess someone could make the argument that if you're busy watching for "good shots" you're not engaging in the service. but that's to discuss with your priest.

as far as putting them online, if anyone in the photo asks you not to post thier picture, i wouldn't.

Proverbs 22:7
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: