OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:51:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Bob Marley Quit Smoking Weed?  (Read 5912 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Former Christian

Romans 10:9-10

« on: September 30, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »

Did Bob Marley quit smoking weed when he joined the Ethiopian Orthodox Church?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:45:35 PM by TristanCross » Logged

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »

Wasn't he baptized on his death bed? I'm not sure how much time he would have had to toke up after that.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »

He was baptized November 4, 1980. He died May 11, 1981.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »

Archbishop Abouna Yesehaq (who baptized Bob):

"Bob was really a good brother, a child of God, regardless of how people
looked at him. He had a desire to be baptised long ago, but there were
people close to him who controlled him and who were aligned to a different
aspect of Rastafari . But he came to Church regularly. I remember once while
I was conducting the Mass, I looked at Bob and tears were streaming down his face...When he toured Los Angeles and New York and England, he preached the Orthodox faith, and many members in those cities came to the Church because of Bob. Many people think he was baptised because he
knew he was dying, but that is not so...he did it when there was no longer
any pressure on him, and when he was baptised, he hugged his family and wept, they all wept together for about half an hour."

— St. John Chrysostom
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:58:17 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

No, and his Confessor Abune Yesehaq has discussed this quite openly, that His Grace continually mentored brother Bob (berhane selassie) towards moving away from this, but also to a certain degree respected Bob's cultural decision to use cannabis.  Keep in mind Bob wasn't baptized until a few months before his passing, and he was painfully dying of high-stage, metastatic cancer.  Perhaps his Father felt that the pain warranted the continual use, in this situation is cannabis any worse or better than pharmaceuticals?

In the Tewahedo Church today, because of the predominantly Rastafari membership in missionary parishes in Trinidad (which have been there since 1956) and Jamaica (since 1970) and several smaller Caribbean islands, this is a serious hot button issue.  Some youths in Ethiopia have also picked up aspects of this culture from their interaction with Rastafari folks in Ethiopia who have "repatriated."  The Rastafari membership are the primary supporters of their parishes in the islands financially and actively, and so some of these folks have the wrong idea about smoking at the Church.  In Rastafari in the islands, folks smoke freely behind "their own gates" and since in the Church these folks pay the bills, some feel the parish gates are the same as the Rastafari mansion gates or their homes away from home.  However, in Ethiopian culture this is beyond disrespectful and irreverent, and I do not support this activity, rather I support the many Bishops efforts to quell both this development in the islands and also in Ethiopia proper.  Cannabis is an evolving position, if or when it becomes legal the Church may just have to reevaluate Her policies, however in this meantime, we must ALL adhere, revere, and venerate our holy Tradition and if folks are such inclined to consume Cannabis, it should be entirely left at home and divorced from Church related activities.

By the way I am really risking myself here to share this with y'all, please be polite in your responses to me, I don't feel like being antagonized, vilified, or demonized.  I FULLY support the Tradition of the Church, the Canons, and all the rules, but in regards to individual use of cannabis these matters are for Confessors and their spiritual children, which very much brother Bob and HG Abune Yesehaq surely qualify.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

I'll just be honest. Why does it matter? I honestly do not think there is anything wrong with weed. The Church does not condemn people for drinking responsibly or smoking tobacco responsibly, so why would it condemn someone for smoking weed responsibly? In fact, most studies indicate that marijuana is actually healthier than alcohol and tobacco. I'm not saying I would smoke it, but I do not see why it is considered bad when things that are even worse like tobacco and alcohol are seen as okay.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »

I'll just be honest. Why does it matter? I honestly do not think there is anything wrong with weed. The Church does not condemn people for drinking responsibly or smoking tobacco responsibly, so why would it condemn someone for smoking weed responsibly? In fact, most studies indicate that marijuana is actually healthier than alcohol and tobacco. I'm not saying I would smoke it, but I do not see why it is considered bad when things that are even worse like tobacco and alcohol are seen as okay.

You do realize Bob Marley died from cancer, when he was about 39?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »

The CIA gave him cancer. At least that's what my Rastafarian friend tried to explain to me.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »

The CIA gave him cancer. At least that's what my Rastafarian friend tried to explain to me.

Wow, then all those hospitals have got it wrong.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

By the way, considering how many Rastafari elders and leaders, as well as many other black nationalists during the 1960s and 1970s were assassinated or targeted (Bob had been shot, Rita in the head!! in 1976, Peter Tosh was killed in 1987) this is not entirely unbelievable. Look at what happened relatively recently to the Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko, and now even very legitimate concerns about the death of Yasser Arafat.

However, while I wouldn't put it past the CIA or FBI during the controversial Co-Intel-Pro era of history.  However, scientifically speaking, it has been said that Bob Marley died from melanoma skin cancer which had went metastatic and attacked his brain and lungs.  There can indeed be a lot of truth to this, some black folks have scoffed this, but Bob was half white on his father's side, and melanoma is quite literally a European genetic disease.  Only folks of European ancestry can develop melanoma, and melanoma is 90% fatal  because it goes metastatic so fast because of its quick access to the blood stream.  Upwards of 40% of black folks in the Americas and Caribbean have European ancestry, and further, many brown folks from Latin America also have European ancestry, so we find melanoma in these communities, but genetically speaking, it is European in origin and only afflicts folks of European genetic ancestry.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:12:31 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: Bob Marley 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: