OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:38:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Woke Up & You Were the Last Person on Earth  (Read 1996 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: September 30, 2012, 03:08:01 AM »

This is my favorite scenerio to fantasize about because I am an introvert gone wrong. So, I guess the question is pretty straight forward. Imagine you wake up one morning, ready to start the day as you would start any other, only to find that you were all alone. You step outside and all of your neighbors are gone too. You walk/drive around for a little bit and realize that your entire town/city is deserted. As far as you know, you are the last person on Earth.

So what is your plan? Do you just commit suicide and end it all, or do you attempt to continue living? If you chose the latter, then explain what your plan would be. I personally would choose to go on because I will be honest with you, this is my ideal fantasy. I would--in a strange way--actually be happy if this happened to me. I dream of total solitude. Anyhow, I would start off first by traveling to the very edge of my town to avoid any potentially dangerous infrastructure failings since there is no one to upkeep any of it. I'd probably look for a new shelter, like a brick or cement house/building. Somethine sturdy that would not deteriorate with time and could hold its own against harsh weather.

After finding the proper place, I would then hijack a diesel truck and head over to a hardware store and take all the supplies and instruction manuals I would need to install a tall chainlink fence with barbed wire around my dwelling to keep out any wild animals and potential bandits if humans were still alive, just to be safe. I imagine I would probably half kill myself trying to figure out how to install this fence since I'm an urban guy, but, I think in such a situation I would succeed.

After that was over with I would take my diesel truck to all of the local grocery stores and load them up with all of the fresh water and non-perishable foods I could find. Chances are the stores would have enough to last me a lifetime. After going through the back breaking process of getting them to my shelter and storing them, I would then head over to the local hardware store and steal a gas generator and a large freezor. I would then install the generator to power the freezer and load the freezer up with fresh meats from the grocery store before they went bad. Chances are that would be my only fresh meat left until I learned how to hunt.

All of that being taken care of, I guess I would then try to discover ways to keep myself occupied for the rest of my life. I'd probably take the truck back to town and load it up with all of the books and CDs I could find, before the elements destroy them all. And then just live the rest of my life in solitude, waiting for something to happen...

Chances are I would go insane--as I think almost everyone would. However, I do think that I would last longer than most people would before reaching total insanity, since I have always been a more introverted person that enjoys being alone.

EDIT: I wonder how this would affect my religious life, since there would be no clergy to serve the Divine Liturgy, I would never be able to receive the Eucharist again...I would probably go steal a bunch of Orthodox books and try to figure out a way to ordain myself as a Priest without technically violating any of the Canons, and then serve the Divine Liturgy by myself for myself.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:15:06 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:10:06 AM »

I'd move into Charleton Hestons old house.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:14:17 AM »

Alright! Goodbye, student loan payments!

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 03:24:05 AM »

I think I would go streaking.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 04:08:51 AM »

I would probably spend most of my days reading and drinking large volumes of alcohol.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 04:17:29 AM »

When I was younger my favorite scenario to fantasize about was being able to stop time (except for myself).
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:44:04 AM »

After finding the proper place, I would then hijack a diesel truck and head over to a hardware store and take all the supplies and instruction manuals I would need to install a tall chainlink fence with barbed wire around my dwelling to keep out any wild animals and potential bandits if humans were still alive, just to be safe. I imagine I would probably half kill myself trying to figure out how to install this fence since I'm an urban guy, but, I think in such a situation I would succeed.

After that was over with I would take my diesel truck to all of the local grocery stores and load them up with all of the fresh water and non-perishable foods I could find. Chances are the stores would have enough to last me a lifetime. After going through the back breaking process of getting them to my shelter and storing them, I would then head over to the local hardware store and steal a gas generator and a large freezor. I would then install the generator to power the freezer and load the freezer up with fresh meats from the grocery store before they went bad. Chances are that would be my only fresh meat left until I learned how to hunt.

All of that being taken care of, I guess I would then try to discover ways to keep myself occupied for the rest of my life. I'd probably take the truck back to town and load it up with all of the books and CDs I could find, before the elements destroy them all. And then just live the rest of my life in solitude, waiting for something to happen...

Chances are I would go insane--as I think almost everyone would. However, I do think that I would last longer than most people would before reaching total insanity, since I have always been a more introverted person that enjoys being alone.

i'd do all those things. then i'd go around freeing pets from thier homes so they could at least fend for themselves. of course i'd still have my doggies for company. i live in VA about 2 hrs from DC. I  guess the Pentagon and the White House have emergency generators. or if i wanted to stay put hospitals, the federal reserve building, the governor's mansion etc would make good places to live.

Proverbs 22:7
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 04:48:31 AM »

When I was younger my favorite scenario to fantasize about was being able to stop time (except for myself).

Ooh, that's a good one!  So many applications.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:25:09 AM »

I would gather as many supplies as possible, then hide in a bomb shelter and wait for the global nuclear meltdown.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »

Not as fun without zombies.

I'm going to need this.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »

I'd go and find a wild place, like a forest, or maybe I'd go all out and travel to a jungle. I'd make a tree house, a big one, and live with the animals.

It's something I wanted to do as a kid  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »

I'd take the opportunity to eat a lot of free food. Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »

Most of us would probably get depressed. We are social beings after all.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »

If everyone but me disappeared on this planet, right now, I would never be bored, ever.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »

As of fantasy scenarios, I prefer idea of Nihilism as a rational conclusion of modern World and the end of culture, history, authority meaning and social bonds.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »

To James's religious concerns: I would probably conclude that the Church had never been real if I were left alone on earth as a layman or catechumen. Of course, I would have to check the whole planet for priests to be sure that was the case, and that would take a while.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 04:27:11 PM »

To James's religious concerns: I would probably conclude that the Church had never been real if I were left alone on earth as a layman or catechumen. Of course, I would have to check the whole planet for priests to be sure that was the case, and that would take a while.

Maybe all that would be left would be mutant people who lived underground like in that one Planet of the Apes movie...  police

age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »

I would love to break into government buildings and military installations and see what they have hiding in there. I would be disappointed if it was just miles and miles of filing cabinets.

I'd be confined to the Americas since I can't pilot a plane or a boat. No chance of seeing the sights of the Old World. But there's a lot to see here. The White House would be a convenient home while breaking into the National Archives and all that.

After I got over my delusions of grandeur, I'd probably just explore for the rest of my life, doing whatever random thing comes to mind.

As for religion, one could try playing a recording of the Divine Liturgy with bread and wine and pray that, given the circumstances, it would work out. I've heard stories that some Orthodox Christians did this during the early Soviet period, listening to the Liturgy via radio.

...Until the power goes out, that is; then I don't know. Maybe you could ordain yourself the same way. (Canonically though, a priest cannot do the Liturgy by himself, so there's no point.) Regardless, faith could help get someone through a difficult life with no other people, but it would also be easy to conclude it was all a farce since the disappearance of all humans is not exactly in line with the Church's teachings.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »

I think I might have to spend my first week gathering a bunch of food and preserving those perishables for as long as I can.

I'll probably break into a McDonald's joint and learn how to cook the food there so I can eat McD's whenver I want.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »

...Until the power goes out, that is; then I don't know. Maybe you could ordain yourself the same way. (Canonically though, a priest cannot do the Liturgy by himself, so there's no point.) Regardless, faith could help get someone through a difficult life with no other people, but it would also be easy to conclude it was all a farce since the disappearance of all humans is not exactly in line with the Church's teachings.

Well I could always take all the bread and wine I could possibly find--perhaps enough to last me the rest of my lifetime, and put it all in a room and play the recording of the Divine Liturgy to make it all Holy and then just partake of the mysteries from that stock. I would probably need to store the bread though in my large meat freezer to prevent it from spoiling over time. As for the radio, I would have a gas generator for the freezer, so I could always recharge the radio from the generator. I think that the hardest thing to do would be to ordain myself a Priest and serve the Liturgy by myself. I would probably have to revert to some of those odd Old Believers' tricks like using the skeleton or relics from a previous Priest to ordain myself. My Church has relics of St. Herman so I could always use his relics to ordain myself--if that is possible.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »

Well I could always take all the bread and wine I could possibly find--perhaps enough to last me the rest of my lifetime, and put it all in a room and play the recording of the Divine Liturgy to make it all Holy and then just partake of the mysteries from that stock. I would probably need to store the bread though in my large meat freezer to prevent it from spoiling over time. As for the radio, I would have a gas generator for the freezer, so I could always recharge the radio from the generator. I think that the hardest thing to do would be to ordain myself a Priest and serve the Liturgy by myself. I would probably have to revert to some of those odd Old Believers' tricks like using the skeleton or relics from a previous Priest to ordain myself. My Church has relics of St. Herman so I could always use his relics to ordain myself--if that is possible.

Not to worry: there will be no bishop to defrock you if you make a mistake.  Cheesy
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »

If no one sees you then it is not streaking anymore.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »

You all seem very immature in the thought process here. This seems to be a case of "Be careful what you wish for".
Just my first impression, no offense meant.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »

You could never really finish checking, because by the time you get to where they had been, they could well have moved elsewhere.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »

You could never really finish checking, because by the time you get to where they had been, they could well have moved elsewhere.
Haha good point.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »

It's true I could never be absolutely certain. But, especially if the Internet is still working, I could make a reasonable effort to search the world for priests and let the hypothetical priests know I was looking for them. And if I saw no sign, anywhere, that there were any priests left, I'd seriously start to wonder about the Church.

I might never have an excuse to give up entirely, though. Point taken.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »

It's true I could never be absolutely certain. But, especially if the Internet is still working, I could make a reasonable effort to search the world for priests and let the hypothetical priests know I was looking for them. And if I saw no sign, anywhere, that there were any priests left, I'd seriously start to wonder about the Church.

I might never have an excuse to give up entirely, though. Point taken.
Well they could have moved underground to catacombs to evade the Four Horsemen. Wink

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »

Lots of sacramentology fail in this thread.  Cheesy

I'd act like Mad Max.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 01:35:04 AM »

I would be depressed for one week, roll around breaking stuff for another week, then drink myself to death the final week.

Then wait for the rats/parrots/dolphins to evolve to a point where they could take up where we left off.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 01:52:50 AM »

I remember that being the premise for an episode of The Twilight Zone. I think in the end that the owner of the stopwatch, after he had stopped time one too many times, accidentally dropped the watch and broke it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:56:47 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 06:41:48 AM »

I'd go and find a wild place, like a forest, or maybe I'd go all out and travel to a jungle. I'd make a tree house, a big one, and live with the animals.

Just make sure it isn't with a former zoo tiger.  I hear they are testy.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 06:44:52 AM »

If no one sees you then it is not streaking anymore.

Well, why don't you just take all the fun out of it...
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »

Just make sure it isn't with a former zoo tiger.  I hear they are testy.

LOL. That never crossed my mind as a child. All I knew is that I wanted to quit school and go live with animals (probably a result of watching The Wild Thornberrys on Nickelodeon too much). I had it all worked out somehow  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »

I'd be naked. Thats it. Just me and breeze.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »

I'll move on to the capital, try to tame a cat or a dog along the way, and then look for survival guides in librairies   Cheesy
And finally I'll settle in a big parisian hotel. I'd be quite depressed, being alone...
Well there's a lot to do, but ideas will eventually come by as the days pass  Cheesy
Or maybe travel around all Europe, by "borrowing" ( Grin ) cars.

PS : A gun or two might be a good thing against animals roaming in the streets  Grin
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:49:33 AM by WeldeMikael » Logged
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

I would probably assume I was in Hell, because "Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in their midst" so if I was alone two or three couldn't gather, and the Church would endure until the end of time, and there is no Church in Hell. Plus the Desert Fathers story about the guy who was wiser than St. Antony saying he believes everyone but him will go to heaven for their good deeds, while he alone would go to Hell for his evil deeds.

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »

I'd be naked. Thats it. Just me and breeze.

PP
I don't know about that, there's too many clothes that I want.  Tongue

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »

Ooh, that's a good one!  So many applications.

None of them G-rated in the mind of a teenage male.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: