OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 11:50:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you, as an Oriental or Eastern Orthodox Christian, believe the Roman Catholic priesthood and sacraments are grace filled?
Yes - 11 (45.8%)
No - 13 (54.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Catholicism - Do you believe our priests and sacraments are grace-filled?  (Read 3648 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »

I cross myself too when passing a Roman church but I show my disagreement with them by crossing myself the byzantine way. I guess that makes it even.

So in theory you are saying you recognise that the communion in their tabernacle is communion.  Communion is God.  So by crossing yourself out of spite would that not be judging your brothers because you disagree with x y z of their beliefs?  Would it be more prudent not to cross yourself at all then?  Crossing yourself outside of church whether walking or in a car is reverence to the communion held in reserve in the tabernacle.  Do Orthodox Christians not consider partaking of Communion as the most outwardly sign of union?  For if we are upset with even ONE of our Orthodox brethren no matter where he may reside then we can not partake of the chalice that day as we see it as a common cup.  It is the same holy communion in Dallas as it is in Jerusalem.  So recognising that the RCC have the true eucharist in their tabernacle by signing yourself would follow the above?

username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »

The OCA (which is Russian in practice) also receives priests by vesting.  I know a fantastic priest that was brought in this way. 
As far as grace and such I follow what the bishops teach.  They are the chief priest and are entrusted to "rightfully divide the Word of Truth." 

Was the priest originally Roman Catholic or Oriental?

He was and is European American and he was a minister in the RCC.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »

So by crossing yourself out of spite would that not be judging your brothers because you disagree with x y z of their beliefs?

That one about doing it the byzantine way because I disagree was just a little joke. I do it the byzantine way, but not because I want to judge them or something but because that's the way I'm used to do it. Calm down.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:56:27 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

Yeah, I never crossed myself in front of Protestant churches, either, and I'm certainly not about to start now. For one, even I wanted to, it's often hard to tell that the Protestant church (building) is a church. As we are neighbors, perhaps you'll find it funny that I was in the Nob Hill area recently (I am uncomfortable there, but I had to go to the bank and it happened to be close by while I was running my errands) and happened upon what I thought was a movie theater. Nope. Turned out to be some kind of Evangelical/Pentecostal (?) gathering place either made to look like a theater (complete with posters for their worship services), or occupying an old theater that they never bothered to remodel. Hey, one place is as good as any other, right? There's no holiness in the physical world according to popular Evangelical dualism, after all... Wink Worst still, it seemed by the graphics and showiness to be specifically targeting young people and disaffected ex-something elsers...thank God I found Orthodoxy when I did, lest but by the grace of God there go I... <505-specific stuff that nobody else will get>

When we lived in ABQ, we went to a church that was in a strip mall... Just looked like a regular storefront, but was actually a church. Eventually they purchased a church building and moved out. This was up near Tramway though- not Nob Hill. But I am not surprised.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »

So by crossing yourself out of spite would that not be judging your brothers because you disagree with x y z of their beliefs?

That one about doing it the byzantine way because I disagree was just a little joke. I do it the byzantine way, but not because I want to judge them or something but because that's the way I'm used to do it. Calm down.

I am calm I was being philosophical.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »

I am calm I was being philosophical.

Oh, it sounded a little bit agressive to me. Sorry if he misunderstood it.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
BayStater123

Faith: Latin Church

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

The OCA (which is Russian in practice) also receives priests by vesting.  I know a fantastic priest that was brought in this way. 
As far as grace and such I follow what the bishops teach.  They are the chief priest and are entrusted to "rightfully divide the Word of Truth." 

If the Orthodox expect me to respect them, then I expect you to respect me and my church. He was not a minister. He was and is a priest.
username!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »

If the Orthodox expect me to respect them, then I expect you to respect me and my church. He was not a minister. He was and is a priest.

Vicar, minister, reverend, etc... extraordinary minister of communion... think about it if that's what the RCC calls the helpers at mass that give out communion then the priest must be the ordinary minister.  Just using different words that mean the same thing.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »

delete for pointless and silly post.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:10:10 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »

I mean, here I thought "we know where the Church is, not where it is not" meant exactly that.  Smiley

Yes, it means exactly that. It just happens to be an incorrect sentiment.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

Ahhh, Tasbeha...a place to argue about Thanksgiving, pumpkins, and whether it's "evkhi" or "evshi". Oh, and Orthodoxy is in there somewhere, maybe. Tongue

Do you believe that the Roman Catholic Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ?

I waver between being ambivalent and agnostic about this, and do not wish to be more explicit than that. Mainly because it doesn't matter, since I am not in communion with Rome. For the sake of those who are, I hope so, just like how I hope that all my non-Orthodox friends and family who have passed on are shown the same mercy that I depend on in kind. I should like to see them all in heaven, if I am blessed to be received there, but my feelings and desires are nothing compared to the judgment and mercy of God. In the end, it is not my place, as a mere layman and very new in the faith and the Church, to make judgments on such things. That is where I feel that the RC has way overstepped its boundaries, after all. The mere existence of another church that has a eucharistic service does not mean that it is acceptable before God, but again that is God's judgment to make. It is enough that I follow the directives of my own priests (who are quite conservative, despite any appearance to the contrary that I may have mistakenly given earlier; you miss Coptic "hardliners", just ask abouna about the Tome of Leo) and church in not betraying the holy faith in the name of false ecumenism. So from where I'm sitting, the important thing is that I not partake with any other Church, not whether or not I can speculate about the nature of what they consider sacraments. That is a Roman activity/pastime, not befitting of Orthodox people. You know where Christ is, so you go there. If He bestows His grace and mercy upon others in whatever way He sees fit, hallelujah. Again, I hope He does, but I can't say for sure one way or another.

Well crossing oneself suggests their Eucharist is the true Eucharist, no ambivalence about it. That's why the practice exists, no? To honor the reserved Gifts.

No. Russians in the Volga region sometimes cross themselves when passsing mosques--becasue it was built for God, even if it's a false religion.

I'm gonna need a reference for this one, Beijingski.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:16 PM »

I mean, here I thought "we know where the Church is, not where it is not" meant exactly that.  Smiley

It is not correct that you do not know where the Church isn't?

Ahh...that must explain all the declarative, dogmatic statements about the sacraments of non-Orthodox churches that you always hear from the Orthodox...  Roll Eyes

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »

The OCA (which is Russian in practice) also receives priests by vesting.  I know a fantastic priest that was brought in this way.  
As far as grace and such I follow what the bishops teach.  They are the chief priest and are entrusted to "rightfully divide the Word of Truth."  

Hmmm ... did you ever tell a Catholic priest to his face "You're not a minister"? And if so, what was his reaction?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:52:30 PM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »

Ahhh, Tasbeha...a place to argue about Thanksgiving, pumpkins, and whether it's "evkhi" or "evshi". Oh, and Orthodoxy is in there somewhere, maybe. Tongue

Do you believe that the Roman Catholic Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ?

I waver between being ambivalent and agnostic about this, and do not wish to be more explicit than that. Mainly because it doesn't matter, since I am not in communion with Rome. For the sake of those who are, I hope so, just like how I hope that all my non-Orthodox friends and family who have passed on are shown the same mercy that I depend on in kind. I should like to see them all in heaven, if I am blessed to be received there, but my feelings and desires are nothing compared to the judgment and mercy of God. In the end, it is not my place, as a mere layman and very new in the faith and the Church, to make judgments on such things. That is where I feel that the RC has way overstepped its boundaries, after all. The mere existence of another church that has a eucharistic service does not mean that it is acceptable before God, but again that is God's judgment to make. It is enough that I follow the directives of my own priests (who are quite conservative, despite any appearance to the contrary that I may have mistakenly given earlier; you miss Coptic "hardliners", just ask abouna about the Tome of Leo) and church in not betraying the holy faith in the name of false ecumenism. So from where I'm sitting, the important thing is that I not partake with any other Church, not whether or not I can speculate about the nature of what they consider sacraments. That is a Roman activity/pastime, not befitting of Orthodox people. You know where Christ is, so you go there. If He bestows His grace and mercy upon others in whatever way He sees fit, hallelujah. Again, I hope He does, but I can't say for sure one way or another.

Well crossing oneself suggests their Eucharist is the true Eucharist, no ambivalence about it. That's why the practice exists, no? To honor the reserved Gifts.

No. Russians in the Volga region sometimes cross themselves when passsing mosques--becasue it was built for God, even if it's a false religion.

If this is true, it is incredibly disturbing.

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »

Boy, that's a different perspective.  Lips Sealed I usually ask myself things like "Should I cross myself when I pass a Christian church building with no Eucharist (e.g. Baptist)?"

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2012, 10:42:25 PM »

It is not correct that you do not know where the Church isn't?

Ahh...that must explain all the declarative, dogmatic statements about the sacraments of non-Orthodox churches that you always hear from the Orthodox...  Roll Eyes

I hear them all the time.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »

The world of the inquirer on the internet must be very different than the world of the baptized person, then. Funnily enough the subject of Roman Catholic sacraments has never come up in over a year of attending at a Coptic Orthodox Church. It's almost like we leave such things up to God and how He sees fit to deal with those outside of the Church, and instead focus on our own Church and its sacraments, which we do not doubt.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »

Dude, it's really the same thing. IIRC, St. Paul calls himself a minister of the Gospel.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »

You don't have to get offended and resort to insults just because you're wrong.

Perhaps you'd like to be the one to inform the many bishops and elders I've heard say this teaching that their internet inquiry has mislead them?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »

Bejing? WTH?

Reference came from a book on Russian culture. Dont ask for the specific one. I've read a couple score in my studies, but I didn't make it up.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »

It wasn't a display of ecumenism. It was a recognition of the original purpose, the intention. The Mohammedans intended to build the mosque for God. Of course, they are not illumined and follow a false prophet. But remember one of the Desert Fathers who complimented the pagan priest on his devotion after his disciple ridiculed him for being an idolater? The abba's kindness and recognition of the good won the pagan priest over and he became a Christian and a monk. Same thing.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »

The world of the inquirer on the internet must be very different than the world of the baptized person, then. Funnily enough the subject of Roman Catholic sacraments has never come up in over a year of attending at a Coptic Orthodox Church. It's almost like we leave such things up to God and how He sees fit to deal with those outside of the Church, and instead focus on our own Church and its sacraments, which we do not doubt.

Indeed. Exactly this.

We have enough to do to teach and live Orthodoxy than to try and figure out whether a group of people who perform liturgies running the gamut from traditional to bizarre have sacramental grace. We have all we can do to wonder what happened to the folks who invented the inquisiton and why have they become soft.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2012, 05:58:21 PM »

It wasn't a display of ecumenism. It was a recognition of the original purpose, the intention. The Mohammedans intended to build the mosque for God. Of course, they are not illumined and follow a false prophet. But remember one of the Desert Fathers who complimented the pagan priest on his devotion after his disciple ridiculed him for being an idolater? The abba's kindness and recognition of the good won the pagan priest over and he became a Christian and a monk. Same thing.

I understand about it being "a recognition of original purpose", but I still think it's a tad extreme. And if it's extreme for us Catholics, I imagine how your fellow Orthodox might react, especially those who pray "that the secularists and Protestants are kept at a distance [from Eastern Europe]" and the like.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: