OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:59:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syriac Vespers  (Read 723 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: October 07, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »

I just discovered that there is a Syriac Orthodox Church very close to where we're staying in Brussels. While I won't be able to attend Sunday morning Liturgies, they told me they have Vespers every day at 5, so I think I'll pop in tomorrow to have a look, maybe make it a regular thing when I'm here.

While I have attended countless Coptic services, it will be my first time to a Syriac church, so any pointers would be helpful. Length, content, structure, etc.

Links to a translation of the full service would be particularly helpful. I found this, but it seems to just be a collection of excerpts.

Thanks!
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:27:50 AM »

Syriac Orthodox Prayers for each hour during non-feastal (ordinary) days is called 'H'shimo'. The 'H'shimo' (Sheemo) has a different set of prayers and hymns for each day of the week; and for each hour (Morning, third hour, sixth hour, ninth hour, evening, bedtime and midnight).

An English translation of the entire Sheemo is not available on the internet.  It is available as a following book. However this book has translated the Syriac Hymns as English prose.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/dale-a-johnson/daily-prayers-from-the-language-of-jesus/paperback/product-1476571.html

An English translation of the H'shimo (Sheemo) where the Syriac translation are translated to English hymns set to the original syriac meter does not exist.

The link that you have given to is an English translation of what is known as 'Pampakuda' prayers. In 1910 Fr. Mathai Konatt of Pampakuda with the blessings of the Patriarch H.H Ignatius Abd Aloho II , translated the 'H'shimo' prayers primarily of Wednesday into Malayalam for the use of Syriac Orthodox Christians of India. As this translation was in 1910, prior to the 1912 schism (declaration of autocephaly and the establishment of Catholicate by a faction) and the 1929 creation of the Eastern rite Roman Catholic rite Syro-Malankara ; Pampakuda prayers have gained acceptance by all Syriac Christians of India, irrespective of jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:35:02 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »

Thanks for the info. I decided to buy the book, should arrive in a week. The church was closed unfortunately. My Arabic sucks so I might have misunderstood what the guy told me about times. I got "kul yawm...khamsa...3ashiya" but perhaps I missed something. At least I'll be able to have the book with me next time I get an opportunity to attend.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:37:38 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: