OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:45:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some real technical help and advice  (Read 1088 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« on: September 29, 2012, 05:28:54 AM »

Hello, <wave>  its a good idea to try and not make it so hard to register and verify a username account at your forum. Its like trying to fill out a difficult job application. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:29:16 AM by WPM » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »

You already have yours...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »

It's been so long that I don't remember  Cheesy  But I will say that when I do get logged out for some reason and have to log back in I always need to remember that my sign-in name is not the same as my display name...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »

I'm glad it's difficult because it prevents bots and spammers from posting.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »

LOL!  You could just use your real name, like I do. Then it's not difficult to remember!

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:26:58 AM »

Hello, <wave>  its a good idea to try and not make it so hard to register and verify a username account at your forum. Its like trying to fill out a difficult job application. Thanks

Not any more difficult than any other site.  If you forget your username & password there are links to help you retrieve them.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:25:59 AM »

Not any more difficult than any other site.  If you forget your username & password there are links to help you retrieve them.

Which brings up a system software flaw: If one loses one's email account and forgets his username and/or password, which can happen, one cannot retrieve or reset a password (there being no way to log into one's old email account to get the instructions, and one cannot log in to ask through a PM to admins for help). The result: multiple accounts for one member as a new account appears to be the only option. This is against the rules technically but unavoidable.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »

Which brings up a system software flaw: If one loses one's email account and forgets his username and/or password, which can happen, one cannot retrieve or reset a password (there being no way to log into one's old email account to get the instructions, and one cannot log in to ask through a PM to admins for help). The result: multiple accounts for one member as a new account appears to be the only option. This is against the rules technically but unavoidable.

But it's not unavoidable.  All you have to do is let one of the mods, or me know about your login issues.  This is part of the reason I have admin powers. To deal with all login issues.  Yes it's a little more convoluted but we have to do it this way to keep the integrity of the site & to make sure the software doesn't go crazy

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »

But it's not unavoidable.  All you have to do is let one of the mods, or me know about your login issues.  This is part of the reason I have admin powers. To deal with all login issues.  Yes it's a little more convoluted but we have to do it this way to keep the integrity of the site & to make sure the software doesn't go crazy

Question: How do you contact a mod or admin without access to contact info?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »

On the Forum Homepage, which everyone has access to prior to logging in, at the very bottom is Father Anastasios' email address.

One could send him an email and he would be able to forward it to the admin who needs to handle it.

You could also contact folks via the OCNet Facebook page.  Most admins are there.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »

Question: How do you contact a mod or admin without access to contact info?

Half of them have shared their real life names. Try googling it for emails or something.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:00:00 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »

On the Forum Homepage, which everyone has access to prior to logging in, at the very bottom is Father Anastasios' email address.

One could send him an email and he would be able to forward it to the admin who needs to handle it.

You could also contact folks via the OCNet Facebook page.  Most admins are there.
Thanks for the first idea. I'm not posting questions merely for myself. I know many admins/modes personally outside of OC.net but wanted the info read by our general membership.

And thanks, but I do not do Facebook.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 12:16:05 PM »

Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with others.

Everything in moderation.

—St. Isaac of Syria
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »

Thanks for the first idea. I'm not posting questions merely for myself. I know many admins/modes personally outside of OC.net but wanted the info read by our general membership.

And thanks, but I do not do Facebook.

You're right I think in the sense that we all assume that we know what to do in these situation, but then it actually happens & people freak out & do things against the rules.  It's better if we all just talk about it openly & try to solve as many problems BEFORE they start. 

As for the solution, Lyza posted an excellent & primary solution to the issue placed in the OP. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: