OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:19:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good & Evil  (Read 443 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: September 29, 2012, 05:10:16 AM »

Why does it seem like evil is so much more powerful than good? I mean, in almost any dilemma the evil option is always much easier than the righteous option. If humans are supposed to be inherently good, then why does evil come to us so easily and why is it so much easier to perform opposed to goodness which requires a lifetime of hard work, sacrifice and toil? Whereas one single basic, in-the-moment act of evilness can easily ruin years of goodness? Likewise, goodness requires a lifetime of work and toil to remain eternal within a person, whereas a single act of evilness can easily--in many cases--have a lifetime of affects? It appears that evil laughs and spits in the face of goodness. Yet, as Christians we are told that ultimately goodness will prevail. I don't get it. Goodness is obviously the losing side; yet goodness is supposed to be the side God is on. I don't know how I can have faith that goodness will prevail when goodness has its back against the wall and is constantly -censored- slapped by evilness. Why do we always have to be on the losing side? Why does anything involving God or goodness always have to be harder? For once why can't the right thing freaking be easy?! Maybe good and evil do not even exist. And how can evil really be 'evil' if evilness is usually just the result of our natural tendencies and instincts as humans whereas goodness seems unnatural, like it is always trying to suppress or alter our natural state of being?--the state of being that God allowed us to be in. The world is a gloomy place :-(

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:15:54 AM »

Why not try to ask one question at a time?  police

I don't know where to start.

Why does it seem like evil is so much more powerful than good?

For the same reason the only news on TV you'll hear about a levee is that it collapsed. Evil has more air-time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:20:34 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »

Why not try to ask one question at a time?  police

I don't know where to start.
No kidding.

James, people have a sinful nature, which IMO means humans are not inherently good, rather we are inherently  bad.  Some disagree with me, but I see this being why the evil way is more appealing.  In our sinful state, our nature is to seek that which pleases the flesh and those things which come easy.  When we go against this nature, seeking good, it's a struggle.  Outside this, Satan wants us to follow evil so he makes it more immediatly appealing than those things we must struggle for.  For instance, sex.  You can find some pretty girl who will have sex with you now for instant gratification or you can wait to find the wife you are meant to marry and have a lifetime of reward and long term gratification.  An impatient nature says take the first.  A life of experience and wisdom says to wait, but that experience and wisdom comes with seeking good rather than evil.

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:26:39 AM by Kerdy » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 05:26:39 AM »

Also look at it this way; in order for us to be deified, God had to grant us freedom--which includes the potential for evil. God Himself--in order to deify His creations--had to make the potential for evilness accessible. Our deification is dependent upon the existence and potential for evil. God had to use the potential for evil to make us capable of deification. If evil did not exist then we could not be deified. Goodness itself is dependent on evilness. Evilness appears supreme almost.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:28:29 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »

Do you watch NASCAR?  Think of it like a season.  Winning races as evil and Championship as good.  He who wins the most races is not necessarily the Cup Champion.  The champ may not win a race all season, but in the end wins over all.  Which would you rather be?  Glory for a few races or for the entire year?  You think evil is winning until the end of the season when good becomes the champ.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:34:17 AM »

Also look at it this way; in order for us to be deified, God had to grant us freedom--which includes the potential for evil. God Himself--in order to deify His creations--had to make the potential for evilness accessible. Our deification is dependent upon the existence and potential for evil. God had to use the potential for evil to make us capable of deification. If evil did not exist then we could not be deified. Goodness itself is dependent on evilness. Evilness appears supreme almost.

In the darkest of darkness, the smallest light forces it away.  No matter how powerful the darkness (evil) appears, piercing that darkness takes only a little light (good).
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »

Why does good have to be difficult?  Because man rebelled against God.  We had it all on a silver platter and ruined it, so now we must work hard to get it back.  Think of like trust.  Once it's lost, it's hard to get back, but it can be done and worth the effort when accomplished.

The world is indeed a gloomy place, but it has its moments.  Then again, this world isn't what we are after.  It's already lost, which is why your focus should be on the eternal. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:40:40 AM by Kerdy » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 06:03:53 AM »

...this world...It's already lost...

Then evil has prevailed. Evil won. It's as simple as that. Evil drive God into a retreat where now God had to create a new world because He lost the first one.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »

Then evil has prevailed. Evil won. It's as simple as that. Evil drive God into a retreat where now God had to create a new world because He lost the first one.

No. That's silly.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:05:38 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 06:10:30 AM »

Good and Evil only exist in a world in which there is God. Though I suspect this won't be a satisfying answer.

But to expound on this, why complain about evil in the first place if you have given up God? Evil is no longer a reality to which there is an answer. Evil is nothing, Good is nothing, or at least thats how it seems to me the non believer should see things.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:17:32 AM by Nicene » Logged

Thank you.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 06:14:50 AM »

Um, not so much.  But good job ignoring everything else I said.  Let me try this in terms you can better understand.

When God has had enough of Satans crap, He's gonna lay the smack down on his Jabroni *insert expletive*.  Until then, Satan is running around doing what he can, but he is soon gonna know his roll and shut his mouth.  Ya mean?
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

James, people have a sinful nature, which IMO means humans are not inherently good, rather we are inherently  bad.  Some disagree with me, but I see this being why the evil way is more appealing.  In our sinful state, our nature is to seek that which pleases the flesh and those things which come easy.  

Sounds a bit too Catholic for me.  We are not evil by nature, but we are human by natures, and humans since the Fall have the choice to do good or evil, but evil is not inherently in our nature.  It is merely an option. Our nature is still intact as God created us, in His Image, and God is not Evil.

Why does it seem like evil is so much more powerful than good? I mean, in almost any dilemma the evil option is always much easier than the righteous option. If humans are supposed to be inherently good, then why does evil come to us so easily and why is it so much easier to perform opposed to goodness which requires a lifetime of hard work, sacrifice and toil? Whereas one single basic, in-the-moment act of evilness can easily ruin years of goodness? Likewise, goodness requires a lifetime of work and toil to remain eternal within a person, whereas a single act of evilness can easily--in many cases--have a lifetime of affects? It appears that evil laughs and spits in the face of goodness. Yet, as Christians we are told that ultimately goodness will prevail. I don't get it. Goodness is obviously the losing side; yet goodness is supposed to be the side God is on. I don't know how I can have faith that goodness will prevail when goodness has its back against the wall and is constantly -censored- slapped by evilness. Why do we always have to be on the losing side? Why does anything involving God or goodness always have to be harder? For once why can't the right thing freaking be easy?! Maybe good and evil do not even exist. And how can evil really be 'evil' if evilness is usually just the result of our natural tendencies and instincts as humans whereas goodness seems unnatural, like it is always trying to suppress or alter our natural state of being?--the state of being that God allowed us to be in. The world is a gloomy place :-(

You keep thinking in terms of black and white, as if this was a kind of cosmic battle like the Justice League. Life is not that easy.  Evil is a shade of gray.  For example, whenever YOU sin, would you want God to simply stop you by destroying you? Or would you want God to overpower your free-will and turn you into His robot?  God allows evil out of His respect for free-will, and He allows evil to occur by human hands because of His Divine Love for Mankind.  In a perfect world, there wouldn't be room for us to exist Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:59:33 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: