OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:22:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Atheist Prayer Experiment  (Read 990 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: September 27, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »

We are asking each atheist who wishes to take part to pray for 2 to 3 minutes a day for 40 days for God to reveal Himself to them.

We would like any reflections, reactions, or revelations (positive or negative) experienced during the experiment to be recorded by participants. This may be video/audio Journal, blog, on a dedicated Facebook page, sent in by email etc.
The experiment is based on the paper by Oxford philosopher Tim Mawson titled "Praying to Stop Being an Atheist". In it Mawson argues that, on balance, it is in the interests of those atheists who don't think it's absolutely impossible that there's a God to investigate the issue of whether or not he exists by 'the experimental method' - trying to ask him. Those interested in participating will be sent a copy of the paper.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »

Too bad I already did this, or I would submit my thoughts.  Cool
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »

With out a true desire to be in communion with God, God will honor your desire to not commune with him, and therefore will not answer.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:53:25 AM by soderquj » Logged

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »

Some hard-care atheists eventually do come around.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:11:36 AM by WPM » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »

There was that guy that did a fake baptism for fun and then came out of the water believing. Of course he was killed shortly thereafter.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

There was that guy that did a fake baptism for fun and then came out of the water believing. Of course he was killed shortly thereafter.

Patron Saint to method actors IIRC.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »

I don't think many of them would be sincere in their prayers though.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »

I’ve seen a guy on youtube who was Atheist then became an EOC.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »

I once watched a BBC documentary called "The Monastery". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monastery_(TV_series)
These fairly random people were to live as Catholic monastics for a period of time. One guy was a completely convinced and complacent atheist who filmed and produced adult movie trailers for a living. He sincerely attempted to follow the instructions given him by the monks and ends up having a "religious experience" in front of the camera (that causes him to become a believer and to completely change his life around). He went in fully skeptical but was at least sincere in his attempts to seek God. He even yelled things in his head, like: "Come on, God! If you're real, then don't leave me hanging. Prove to me that You exist!" And God did. Worth viewing. Sincerity is key, I think. God is no jukebox.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:01:29 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 03:48:10 PM »

I was reading about this elsewhere and a good point was raised: how possible is sincerity in this situation? For instance, I could not with any sincerity pray to Odin, being an Odin atheist.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »

I was reading about this elsewhere and a good point was raised: how possible is sincerity in this situation? For instance, I could not with any sincerity pray to Odin, being an Odin atheist.
Yes, but how many 100% atheists are there (that is, how many atheists are 100% sure, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that "God" does not exist)? Even Dawkins won't claim to be 100% sure about his atheism.

So, if there's a small chance that God is real, *and* you are emotionally and intellectually ready to accept that possibility (and many atheists may not be emotionally and intellectually ready to accept that), then the prayer experiment might work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:58:13 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 04:00:17 PM »

Well I guess that makes us both atheists, I just believe in one lesser god than you do. Grin

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »

Well I guess that makes us both atheists, I just believe in one lesser god than you do. Grin
Jesus did say, "Ye are gods," so if you believe in yourself and in no other god, then you are a true "monotheist".

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »

So, if there's a small chance that God is real, *and* you are emotionally and intellectually ready to accept that possibility (and many atheists may not be emotionally and intellectually ready to accept that), then the prayer experiment might work.

Yeah. That.

"As there is drunkenness for God, which doesn’t see the world in its ugliness, there is also a drunkenness of the world, which does not see in its ugliness the holiness of God." - Fr. Dumitru Staniloae
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »

There is no way that this idiot is a philosopher at Oxford.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 03:49:13 AM »

commemorated today in our church:
http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/1_18.html#1
(saint prophorius)
 Smiley
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »

There is no way that this idiot is a philosopher at Oxford.
I don't think that the Oxfordian philosopher is the one who is running the actual prayer experiment; the host of the radio show is running the experiment.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Typically Protestant they neither explain what prayer is, how to pray, or provide any kinds of guided prayer or meditations.  What could they expect but for nothing to happen?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Green_Umbrella

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »

Perhaps 40 days of praying 2-3 minutes a day is a poor way for atheist to find God. I say skip the prayers. They should perform 40 days of acts of love for others. Then perhaps they will need to pray.

¨And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.¨ 1 John 4:16
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »

I do personally believe God’s grace is given freely to all. If a true atheist (not sure how many really exist) were wiling to sincerely embark upon such an experiment perhaps that would indeed be the first step of cooperating with God’s grace. IMHO being willing to sincerely embark upon such an experiment is by the grace of God. I have no idea what may come out of it but I do believe that if we (anyone) accept and respond to Grace all the more is given. Eventually might that not manifest into a reality?

I agree with Hebte that it would be beneficial if they were guided on prayer. Perhaps it is very Protestant of me Wink but I’m not convinced anyone needs to be ‘taught’ how to pray. I’ve always felt the Holy Spirit would take care of that for those that would do so with an open and honest heart.

I certainly think the experiment is worth the try!

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »

the Holy Spirit did take care of that.
He invented the church...
 Wink
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »

the Holy Spirit did take care of that.
He invented the church...
 Wink

laugh Nice!

Does that qoute of the month thing still exist??

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 08:10:05 PM »

I think this is a great thing...
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 01:06:17 PM »

I would have started with an ascetic struggle first, like avoid cussing for 40 days and engage in social work.  Realizing a sense of humility of how nothing you are can then lead to a prayer expirement.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »

More like "agnostic" prayer experiment

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: