OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:17:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Catholics and Orthodox: Have you ever heard a priest using slang language?  (Read 917 times) Average Rating: 0
BayStater123

Faith: Latin Church

« on: September 28, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »

Have you ever encountered a priest who used slang language and encouraged homosexuality? During Confession, a visiting priest (Franciscan Friar) referred to masturbation as "jerking off". We also discussed the issue of homosexuality. He said, "Don't worry about it, you're fine, stop denying your sexuality". I can't believe it. I'm Roman Catholic and have never had this sort of issue come up. I talked to another priest (Catholic) who simply said "The theology of the Friars is ill-informed in regard to human sexuality and same-sex attraction".
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »

The Franciscan friar's name wasn't Robert Lentz, by any chance?
BayStater123

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »

The Franciscan friar's name wasn't Robert Lentz, by any chance?

No, but who is Robert Lentz?
BayStater123

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »

Never mind, I looked up the name. It is definitely not Lentz. He is in a completely different diocese.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »

The Franciscans are pretty notorious for being theological liberals.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:24:34 PM »

Have you ever encountered a priest who used slang language and encouraged homosexuality? During Confession, a visiting priest (Franciscan Friar) referred to masturbation as "jerking off". We also discussed the issue of homosexuality. He said, "Don't worry about it, you're fine, stop denying your sexuality". I can't believe it. I'm Roman Catholic and have never had this sort of issue come up. I talked to another priest (Catholic) who simply said "The theology of the Friars is ill-informed in regard to human sexuality and same-sex attraction".
No, and if I ever do, it's the last time.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »

Unthinkable, and I would not stand for it. A priest must be serious about sin, not looking to diminish it or make light of it. If a priest will not, how can he expect his people to do so? What a terrible situation.

BayStater123

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »

Unthinkable, and I would not stand for it. A priest must be serious about sin, not looking to diminish it or make light of it. If a priest will not, how can he expect his people to do so? What a terrible situation.

After he absolved my sins, he stopped me right before I opened the door. He said, "Don't forget to laugh before you leave, my boy"! I'm thinking that this priest might fancy young men such as myself.  Undecided
Creepy
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 01:04:38 AM »

We all should be serious about sin, but unfortunately today people conjure up exemptions to what we all know is sinful and provide those as excuses for sin, falsely believing it makes a difference.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »

After he absolved my sins, he stopped me right before I opened the door. He said, "Don't forget to laugh before you leave, my boy"! I'm thinking that this priest might fancy young men such as myself.  Undecided
Creepy
A stigma the Roman Catholic Church will fight for many years to come for their past mistakes, but I personally wouldn't read that much into it if that is all he did.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »

I would explore other options. It doesn't sound like this priest takes confession very seriously. If there is another priest available, try going to him instead. I had confessed to several different priests during my RC days before I found one who really helped me as a Father of Confession is supposed to, in terms of helping me to understand my sin and be healed, rather than just doling out punishments. Either way, I never had the experience that you describe of a priest telling me something wasn't a sin when it was, much less using crude language. That is completely wrong. I'm very sorry that you experienced that.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:27:22 AM »

To respond to the question in the original post, I find the priest's informal comments in the context of the Sacrament of Holy Confession, deplorable.

I've heard plenty of priests use slang, and very rarely, swear; however, even amongst themselves, priests do not swear. An Orthodox priest once told me about a Christmas luncheon of the suburban ministerial association of which he was a member.  He told me a new Lutheran minister, a female, was attending and meeting the members for the first time.  He said she was swearing quite a bit.  He and the Roman Catholic priest he sat with shook their heads together; they felt she was trying to act like "one of the boys," not really knowing that Christian clergy do not swear.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »

Some of these Franciscans feel the need to be "down" and "hip" with the youth these days using their vernacular trying to communicate with them, what else could you say about this guy?

Who was your Confessor......Father Hipster? Roll Eyes

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

I think if he said this to me, I'd have to reply "Project much Father?"

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Creepy
A stigma the Roman Catholic Church will fight for many years to come for their past mistakes, but I personally wouldn't read that much into it if that is all he did.

Agreed.  Generally, I prefer priests with a sense of humor, and in fact in the Ethiopian jurisdiction, I've YET to meet a single Ethiopian priest who was not a wildcat jokester Smiley

We laugh as much as we prostrate in our parish!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

To respond to the question in the original post, I find the priest's informal comments in the context of the Sacrament of Holy Confession, deplorable.

I've heard plenty of priests use slang, and very rarely, swear; however, even amongst themselves, priests do not swear. An Orthodox priest once told me about a Christmas luncheon of the suburban ministerial association of which he was a member.  He told me a new Lutheran minister, a female, was attending and meeting the members for the first time.  He said she was swearing quite a bit.  He and the Roman Catholic priest he sat with shook their heads together; they felt she was trying to act like "one of the boys," not really knowing that Christian clergy do not swear.

I've seen clergy, Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant swear.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »

priests do not swear

Roll Eyes

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »

erm..
is j*rk a really rude word? as in 'he is a j*rk'?
to mean 'he is really wrong' (like a dictator or bully boss, for example).
should i stop saying it?
 Embarrassed

or is it ruder in usa than uk?
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »

No. My old priest when I was Catholic was a soft spoken man who was originally from India. A very kind man.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
BayStater123

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »

erm..
is j*rk a really rude word? as in 'he is a j*rk'?
to mean 'he is really wrong' (like a dictator or bully boss, for example).
should i stop saying it?
 Embarrassed

or is it ruder in usa than uk?

"J*rking off" is an inappropriate word to be used during the Holy Sacrament of Penance. The priest should know these terms, but he himself should not use them.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »

Have you ever heard a priest using slang language?

Of course. Hear 'em swear as well. One time a priest I know jokingly talked about strangling a child; in context it was appropriate. This is a good priest. I suppose a poor priest would be more "pious".
BayStater123

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »

I suppose a poor priest would be more "pious".

I attended an Old Catholic (Old Catholicism is a movement that arose in the 1800s after disputing Vatican I's dogmatic definition of papal infallibility) for awhile. The parish priest was an attorney during the week. He made well over $80k and he was definitely more pious than some of the "poor" priests i've met. So I don't think income has much to do with their behavior.

BayStater123

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »

^ I definitely haven't learned how to correctly use the quote button yet.  laugh
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: