Author Topic: Roman Catholics and Orthodox: Have you ever heard a priest using slang language?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline BayStater123

Have you ever encountered a priest who used slang language and encouraged homosexuality? During Confession, a visiting priest (Franciscan Friar) referred to masturbation as "jerking off". We also discussed the issue of homosexuality. He said, "Don't worry about it, you're fine, stop denying your sexuality". I can't believe it. I'm Roman Catholic and have never had this sort of issue come up. I talked to another priest (Catholic) who simply said "The theology of the Friars is ill-informed in regard to human sexuality and same-sex attraction".

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
The Franciscan friar's name wasn't Robert Lentz, by any chance?
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline BayStater123

The Franciscan friar's name wasn't Robert Lentz, by any chance?

No, but who is Robert Lentz?

Offline BayStater123

Never mind, I looked up the name. It is definitely not Lentz. He is in a completely different diocese.

Offline neon_knights

• High Elder
  • My political hero.
The Franciscans are pretty notorious for being theological liberals.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
Have you ever encountered a priest who used slang language and encouraged homosexuality? During Confession, a visiting priest (Franciscan Friar) referred to masturbation as "jerking off". We also discussed the issue of homosexuality. He said, "Don't worry about it, you're fine, stop denying your sexuality". I can't believe it. I'm Roman Catholic and have never had this sort of issue come up. I talked to another priest (Catholic) who simply said "The theology of the Friars is ill-informed in regard to human sexuality and same-sex attraction".
No, and if I ever do, it's the last time.

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
Unthinkable, and I would not stand for it. A priest must be serious about sin, not looking to diminish it or make light of it. If a priest will not, how can he expect his people to do so? What a terrible situation.

Offline BayStater123

Unthinkable, and I would not stand for it. A priest must be serious about sin, not looking to diminish it or make light of it. If a priest will not, how can he expect his people to do so? What a terrible situation.

After he absolved my sins, he stopped me right before I opened the door. He said, "Don't forget to laugh before you leave, my boy"! I'm thinking that this priest might fancy young men such as myself.  :-\
Creepy

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
We all should be serious about sin, but unfortunately today people conjure up exemptions to what we all know is sinful and provide those as excuses for sin, falsely believing it makes a difference.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches

After he absolved my sins, he stopped me right before I opened the door. He said, "Don't forget to laugh before you leave, my boy"! I'm thinking that this priest might fancy young men such as myself.  :-\
Creepy
A stigma the Roman Catholic Church will fight for many years to come for their past mistakes, but I personally wouldn't read that much into it if that is all he did.

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
I would explore other options. It doesn't sound like this priest takes confession very seriously. If there is another priest available, try going to him instead. I had confessed to several different priests during my RC days before I found one who really helped me as a Father of Confession is supposed to, in terms of helping me to understand my sin and be healed, rather than just doling out punishments. Either way, I never had the experience that you describe of a priest telling me something wasn't a sin when it was, much less using crude language. That is completely wrong. I'm very sorry that you experienced that.

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
To respond to the question in the original post, I find the priest's informal comments in the context of the Sacrament of Holy Confession, deplorable.

I've heard plenty of priests use slang, and very rarely, swear; however, even amongst themselves, priests do not swear. An Orthodox priest once told me about a Christmas luncheon of the suburban ministerial association of which he was a member.  He told me a new Lutheran minister, a female, was attending and meeting the members for the first time.  He said she was swearing quite a bit.  He and the Roman Catholic priest he sat with shook their heads together; they felt she was trying to act like "one of the boys," not really knowing that Christian clergy do not swear.
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline Charles Martel

• Traditional Roman Catholic
  • Protokentarchos
Some of these Franciscans feel the need to be "down" and "hip" with the youth these days using their vernacular trying to communicate with them, what else could you say about this guy?

Who was your Confessor......Father Hipster? ::)

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.

Offline Charles Martel

• Traditional Roman Catholic
  • Protokentarchos
I think if he said this to me, I'd have to reply "Project much Father?"
Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Creepy
A stigma the Roman Catholic Church will fight for many years to come for their past mistakes, but I personally wouldn't read that much into it if that is all he did.

Agreed.  Generally, I prefer priests with a sense of humor, and in fact in the Ethiopian jurisdiction, I've YET to meet a single Ethiopian priest who was not a wildcat jokester :)

We laugh as much as we prostrate in our parish!

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Online Deacon Lance

• Archon
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
To respond to the question in the original post, I find the priest's informal comments in the context of the Sacrament of Holy Confession, deplorable.

I've heard plenty of priests use slang, and very rarely, swear; however, even amongst themselves, priests do not swear. An Orthodox priest once told me about a Christmas luncheon of the suburban ministerial association of which he was a member.  He told me a new Lutheran minister, a female, was attending and meeting the members for the first time.  He said she was swearing quite a bit.  He and the Roman Catholic priest he sat with shook their heads together; they felt she was trying to act like "one of the boys," not really knowing that Christian clergy do not swear.

I've seen clergy, Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant swear.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Shevchenko - extraordinary poet and top footballer
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
erm..
is j*rk a really rude word? as in 'he is a j*rk'?
to mean 'he is really wrong' (like a dictator or bully boss, for example).
should i stop saying it?
 :-[

or is it ruder in usa than uk?

Offline Eastern Mind

• Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
  • High Elder
No. My old priest when I was Catholic was a soft spoken man who was originally from India. A very kind man.
"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"

Offline BayStater123

erm..
is j*rk a really rude word? as in 'he is a j*rk'?
to mean 'he is really wrong' (like a dictator or bully boss, for example).
should i stop saying it?
 :-[

or is it ruder in usa than uk?

"J*rking off" is an inappropriate word to be used during the Holy Sacrament of Penance. The priest should know these terms, but he himself should not use them.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Have you ever heard a priest using slang language?

Of course. Hear 'em swear as well. One time a priest I know jokingly talked about strangling a child; in context it was appropriate. This is a good priest. I suppose a poor priest would be more "pious".

Offline BayStater123

I suppose a poor priest would be more "pious".

I attended an Old Catholic (Old Catholicism is a movement that arose in the 1800s after disputing Vatican I's dogmatic definition of papal infallibility) for awhile. The parish priest was an attorney during the week. He made well over $80k and he was definitely more pious than some of the "poor" priests i've met. So I don't think income has much to do with their behavior.

Offline BayStater123

^ I definitely haven't learned how to correctly use the quote button yet.  :laugh: