OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:50:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akathist in Praise of God's Creation?  (Read 456 times) Average Rating: 0
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

Blessed are you, mother earth, in your fleeting loveliness, Which wakens our yearning for happiness that will last for ever In the land where, amid beauty that grows not old,

Rings out the cry: Alleluia!
http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/akathist_creation

Seriously? "Blessed are you, mother earth"? Not to mention other pagan stuff like poets being vehicles to the "outpouring" of the Holy Spirit and the whole world being the bride and not only the Church. This points to something worse than heresy, it points to anti-christian apostasy.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »

I think it's great. We sing this akathist at my parish on occasion.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »

This is also known as the " Akathist Hymn: Give Glory to God for All Things. "

"It was composed by Metropolitan Tryphon (Prince Boris Petrovich Turkestanov) +1934  – but frequently attributed to Father Gregory Petrov, who died in a Soviet prison camp. It continues to grow in its popularity within the Orthodox Church. In my parish’s usage, we sing it to the Alaskan Akathist Melody, a simple, two-line, tune that can easily be adapted to the unpredictable number of lines in the hymn. With each day, some news of one thing or another reaches me that is cause either for distress or anxiety – but is met far better with prayer and thanksgiving. Either there is a God whom we trust or “we are of most men to be pitied.” I prefer to give thanks ."

http://glory2godforallthings.com/2007/08/08/akathist-hymn-glory-to-god-for-all-things/

This has been discussed at another thread here. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=26481.0;wap2

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:42:08 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »

And no one sees the problem in the praise to "Mother Earth" there? Since when has our mother in the faith, the Theotokos, been substituted by dead rock floating in emptiness?

Or can it be a mistranslation?

As it is, it's a horrible apostate hymn.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »

And no one sees the problem in the praise to "Mother Earth" there? Since when has our mother in the faith, the Theotokos, been substituted by dead rock floating in emptiness?

I think you're reading way too much into the use of the phrase, honestly.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »

Quote from: Genesis 2:7
Then the Lord God formed man (Adam) from the dust of the ground (adama), and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »

+1

You missed the point, Fabio.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »

There is not "too much" there. It's not even a matter of interpretation.  "Mother earth" is a classic pagan deity, a standard phrase for all kinds of eco-paganism.

It's necessary to read "too much", i.e., what is not there, to overimpose any other meaning and not see what is right there.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »

And you people *really* think that it makes the dust of the ground your mother? Jesus Christ! Or that it allows using a classic deity in a Christian hymn?

As images goes, you could as well refer to God as the Destroyer, or the Phallic Seeder and other grotesque images that, although make sense in terms of analogy, are absolutely unfit and dishonorable to God.

Quote from: Genesis 2:7
Then the Lord God formed man (Adam) from the dust of the ground (adama), and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:35:17 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »

"Mother earth" is a classic pagan deity

As is "Mother of God", "Son of God", "Logos" etc.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »

It's a complete loss of aesthetical sense.

And the difference is that Mary is in reality, literally, the Mother of God. Jesus is literally the Son of God and the Logos (the later not really a deity, just a concept before Christianity).

Referring to nature as "mother earth" is a tragedy in any Christian context. At the least bad, it's a completely clueless blunder. At worst, an attempt from the evil one to dillute Christianity into a generic theistic religion.

"Mother earth" is a classic pagan deity

As is "Mother of God", "Son of God", "Logos" etc.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:40:50 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »

And you people *really* think that it makes the dust of the ground your mother? Jesus Christ! Or that it allows using a classic deity in a Christian hymn?

Poetry. Figurative speech.

Hebrew adama is feminine. So is Russian zemlja and Greek ge. Most ancient cultures (even those which were christened) personify it as mother because of its fertility.

The Akathist Ηymn calls the Theotokos "untilled land which has sprouted the divine ear of wheat".  
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »

And the difference is that Mary is in reality, literally, the Mother of God. Jesus is literally the Son of God and the Logos (the later not really a deity, just a concept before Christianity).

So while using names of Greek and Semitic pagan deities is correct names of other pagan deities are haram?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:49:28 PM by Alpo » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »

... an attempt from the evil one to dillute Christianity into a generic theistic religion.

Or is it an attempt by the evil one to lure people into getting worked up about it, making Christianity look foolish and weak?  police
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »

For grammatically challenged frog-brained gnomes unable to sense the Dark Side in not one, but three Dark Lords with whom he had frequent contact, maybe.

For those who understand the difference between being forced to use some names because they describe a literal fact and making spurious references, it does make a lot of sense.

So, are you ready to refer to nature in general as Mother Earth, just like you use Mother of God? It will surely make you a swell guy among the smiling folks.

So while using names of Greek and Semitic pagan deities is correct names of other pagan deities are haram?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:01:47 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »

If he wanted that, he would make people think sarcasm is a kind of intelligence instead of giving them some kind of literary perception of poetic mood and style. Then, of course, they could differentiate a clearly pagan poem from a Christian one, but well, I guess the intelligent thing is to accept everything as they come. No wonder that some people think that even actual physical violence is acceptable when it comes from a bishop. But to be so unforgiven is a trait of the worked up. Right.

... an attempt from the evil one to dillute Christianity into a generic theistic religion.

Or is it an attempt by the evil one to lure people into getting worked up about it, making Christianity look foolish and weak?  police

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »

For what it's worth, the phrase in question is translated the same in both referenced translations; the Greek and the ROCOR.   Does anyone have access to the original 1934 text, which I presume was written in Church Slavonic. Also, perhaps a Ukrainian vernacular version exists as well.

I suspect the Slavonic "zemlya" is used as part of the phrasing. Perhaps someone from ROCOR could help here?

If my memory serves me right, I think the OP  is reading what he wants to read into this Akathist based on comments in other threads where the EP s environmental activism has been debated. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »

"Seek, and you will find" evidently applies also to heresies and apostasy. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »

fabio, you might wanna check there is an antiphon at sunday matins that runs like "to his mother, the earth, all mortal man/earthling returns..."
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »

One would think that, if the particular excerpt is so against Orthodox teachings, someone would have spoken up against it. It's hardly a brand-new piece of work, and especially after the late Sir John Tavener's sublime setting (1987), it has come to the attention of people from all walks of life and spirituality. Still, I can find absolutely nothing on the internet against the Akathist - only the text, as an appropriate service in several jurisdictions.

Sorry, Fabio, it seems you're on your own here.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »

fabio, you might wanna check there is an antiphon at sunday matins that runs like "to his mother, the earth, all mortal man/earthling returns..."

Good catch!

The Third Antiphon of the 8th Tone reads (emphasis mine):
To you have I cried, O Lord. Listen and incline your ear towards me when I shout. Purify me before you take me from this place.

Everyone will return again to his mother, the earth, and shall suffer dissolution, to receive punishment or reward, the desserts of his life.

source: http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/sundayorthros

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »

"Mother earth" is a classic pagan deity, a standard phrase for all kinds of eco-paganism.

Because we know the 1930's were filled with eco-paganism and environmentalists. angel

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: