OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 01:49:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you believe in God ?  Do you believe in Jesus's divinity ? Do you believe in Jesus's resurrection? Do you believe in the Hoy Trinity ?
For the first question : Yes, I believe in God. - 36 (19.5%)
For the first question : No, I do not believe in God. - 1 (0.5%)
For the first question : I don't know / I refuse to answer. - 0 (0%)
For the second question : Yes, I do believe in Jesus Christ. - 36 (19.5%)
For the second question : No, I do not believe in Jesus Christ. - 1 (0.5%)
For the second question : I do not know / I refuse to answer. - 1 (0.5%)
For the third question : Yes, I do believe in Jesus's divinity. - 33 (17.8%)
For the third question : No, I do not believe in Jesus's divinity. - 1 (0.5%)
For the third question : I do not know / I refuse to answer. - 2 (1.1%)
For the fourth question : Yes, I do believe in Jesus's resurrection. - 35 (18.9%)
For the fourth question : No, I do not believe in Jesus's resurrection. - 1 (0.5%)
For the fourth question : I do not know / I refuse to answer. - 1 (0.5%)
For the the fifth question : Yes, I do believe in the Holy Trinity. - 34 (18.4%)
For the fifth question : No, I do not believe in the Holy Trinity. - 2 (1.1%)
For the fifth question : I do not know / I refuse to answer. - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious beliefs poll for Orthodox Christianity forums members.  (Read 319 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« on: June 05, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »

This is a small poll, I'm interested to know what your answer will be.

It is kind of complicated poll. So, here is the explanation.

There are actually 5 questions in the poll. Each question has 3 options. You have to choose only 1 option for each question.

Option 1-2-3 are for the first question.
Option 4-5-6 are for the second question.
Option 7-8-9 are for the third question.
Option 10-11-12 are for the fourth question.
Option 13-14-15 are for the fifth question.

Each member can choose 5 option to answer the whole questions which are 5.

WARNING : Sadly there was mistake. The second question is NOT mentioned above. However the answering options are there. The Second question is " Do you believe in Jesus Christ ? ". I apologize  Embarrassed

Good luck Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:50:50 PM by Raylight » Logged

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »

Raylight, what are you trying to accomplish with this poll?

Edit: So far, one of the 13 people who voted doesn't believe in Jesus' divinity (not me).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:44:09 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »

I gather that Ray is trying to see if Orthodox Christians have the same beliefs.

In Protestantism, people have various beliefs on important dogmas even within the same denomination.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »

I am as familiar with the idiom "I believe in ..." as anybody can be, I imagine -- but at face value it is almost meaninglessly vague. I suppose "I commit myself to arguing in favor of ..." is too literal an interpretation. Emotionally I suppose it means "I think true and feel important that ..." Of course it is found in the Creed as the English translated it. I haven't done any study of that. My preference would be to return to the Greek of the Gospels that (evidently) inspired the idiom and say (πιστεύω εις ...) "I trust to..." -- but then a personage rather than an opinion seems indicated. "I trust to God." "I know he is real." "I feel his forgiveness." These seem clearer, to me -- and avoid the company of such American Evangelicalisms as "Do you believe in rock music?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:58:03 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:21 PM »

Edit: So far, one of the 13 people who voted doesn't believe in Jesus' divinity (not me).

If you look closely, you'll see that the discrepancy may be due to confusion with the buttons.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »

No doubt, it is one of the atheistic, agnostics, or non-Christian posters (we do have several members who are Jewish or Muslim).

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »

For the first question : No, I do not believe in God.    - 1 (0.8%)

For the second question : No, I do not believe in Jesus Christ.    - 1 (0.8%)

For the third question : No, I do not believe in Jesus's divinity.    - 1 (0.8%)

For the fourth question : No, I do not believe in Jesus's resurrection.    - 1 (0.8%)

For the fifth question : No, I do not believe in the Holy Trinity.    - 2 (1.6%)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:18:54 PM by Raylight » Logged

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

The mods must have forgotten to make them fill out and submit the required 274 page orthodox belief questionnaire and affirmation form when they registered! How else could such reprobate atheist heretics slip in?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:28:04 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 12:37:52 AM »

I have all Orthodox answers. 

I waver on the with the phrase "trinity".   I certainly believe in the divinity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as God.   The son was both man and God.

I refuse to put God in that box and the phrase is awkward.   TRI-UNI  - It's a tricycle AND unicycle.

It's creating a situation of whole numerical values were given and = sign (3=1) and are put in a handy label.  It was term used completely imagined up by theologians in Nicea.  It was there to help gentiles & jews understand that Christianity is not polytheistic, but remains monotheistic through this term.

God is one.  This is clearly spelled out for us. 

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit ARE God.

Saying "Trinity" gives credence to confusion - rather than "God has many distinct parts", it is "There are 3 Gods that are one".

It's a term thing, not a concept.  It's bothersome because I tried to explain this to a Hindu once (long ago selling a warehouse of fax machines to him).   It just was a mess to explain it out.  So I had to leave it at "God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit".    He couldn't get away from the Polytheistic concept until it was explained that "god has many parts but is one God".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:44:14 AM »

God is one.  This is clearly spelled out for us. 

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit ARE God.

Saying "Trinity" gives credence to confusion...

No, it explains why you use both singular and plural verbs for a singular noun.   

...rather than "God has many distinct parts", it is "There are 3 Gods that are one".

Oh yeah, that's MUCH better. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 01:00:26 AM »

It was term used completely imagined up by theologians in Nicea.

Was it? Nicaea didn't even really deal with the Holy Spirit at all, so I doubt that's where they coined "Trinity."

Saying "Trinity" gives credence to confusion ... it is "There are 3 Gods that are one".

And I really don't think anyone takes it to mean that, except maybe LDS Mormons.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:04:34 AM by Nephi » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 01:01:04 AM »

I am as familiar with the idiom "I believe in ..." as anybody can be, I imagine -- but at face value it is almost meaninglessly vague. I suppose "I commit myself to arguing in favor of ..." is too literal an interpretation. Emotionally I suppose it means "I think true and feel important that ..." Of course it is found in the Creed as the English translated it. I haven't done any study of that. My preference would be to return to the Greek of the Gospels that (evidently) inspired the idiom and say (πιστεύω εις ...) "I trust to..." -- but then a personage rather than an opinion seems indicated. "I trust to God." "I know he is real." "I feel his forgiveness." These seem clearer, to me -- and avoid the company of such American Evangelicalisms as "Do you believe in rock music?"

My preferred interpretation of "I believe in" is "I hold fast to."

And why was "Do you believe in Jesus Christ's humanity?" not a question?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 01:05:53 AM »

And why was "Do you believe in Jesus Christ's humanity?" not a question?

Didn't you hear? Something about vinegar and an ocean and all that.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: