Author Topic: "Hipster Churches in Silicon Valley"  (Read 231 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
"Hipster Churches in Silicon Valley"
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:22:45 AM »
Interesting article in the Guardian about a new trend among "trendy" Protestant churches in Silicon Valley.

The idea of offering coffee shop gift cards to people in exchange for coming to church seems a little weird, and off-putting, almost like the American urban version of rice-bowl evangelism.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • This is where I choose to tread
Re: "Hipster Churches in Silicon Valley"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:40:24 AM »
Not my thing, but I don't see the harm. Seems like a good entry point into a serious life of faith.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:41:26 AM by lovesupreme »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:41:07 AM »
The mainline Churches were giving out alcohol for coming to Church.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
Seems peoples gots to have "it".
Bred, born and raised in The City, it's a natural.
I like the line "Churches are the original crowdfunders"
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:52:35 AM »
I've already seen these Churches, being a Bay Area native myself. In fact, my parents used to make me attend one with them prior to my conversion to Orthodoxy when I was 15. It also hosted a private school for grades K-8th grade. I went there from 6-8th grade. They used to have coffee machines in the front hall along with a small bakery with scones and the like. It also had a ton of PowerPoints and big technology.

Apart from making a lot of friends from the school who I'm still friends with today, it wasn't a very pleasant experience for my family and I. It was VERY oriented toward the wealthy, and my family was kind of shunned since we had less money and the only reason I was able to attend the school was because my dad was employed there and all staff kids got free tuition. The clergy was also a bit corrupt. Very cliche-ran like a high-school. They once fired an employee for something she confided in one of the pastors, and one girl I was friends with wouldn't talk to me anymore because her dad--one of the pastors--told her my family and I was tainted by "generational sin" because my parents weren't married when they had me.

These hipster Churches are just a way of appealing to the wealthy elite. True Christianity will hardly be found in them.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.