OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 12:23:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shoes  (Read 1782 times) Average Rating: 0
converted viking

« on: September 27, 2012, 08:13:53 PM »

So this post is going to seem crazy to most of you I am sure but would someone please tell me why we wear our shoes while at Divine Liturgy? It seems to me that coming into the church with all of the grime and dirt on the bottom of our shoes is just wrong.   I have been told that it simply is not part of our tradition to park our foot wear outside but some how this explanation just seems totally lame to me.   It just doesn't feel right to be at Divine Liturgy shod.   I will confess that I was raised in the Middle East and I am a convert to Orthodoxy.

In Christ:
Seraphim
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:09 PM »

Sounds like something the Copts would do. Not sure why we would do it since there's a great argument in Exodus "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground..."

Or maybe not.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
converted viking

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »

Sounds like something the Copts would do. Not sure why we would do it since there's a great argument in Exodus "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground..."

Or maybe not.

I know the Copts do.   
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »

Cultural customs differ from place to place... some wash their hands before reading the Scripture, for example. I personally don't see the issue. I'm sure there's plenty of dead skin, dirt, etc. on our bodies, even if we showered that morning. This is my opinion and I am being stuck to it.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:55 PM »

Or maybe not.

I know the Copts do.   
So do all the Malankara Orthodox.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

Or maybe not.

I know the Copts do.   

Must you multiply the differences that separate the churches?

converted viking

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »

Or maybe not.

I know the Copts do.   

Must you multiply the differences that separate the churches?

Please, everyone.  Lets not start a fight here, I didn't mean to post something that would open up Pandoras Box.

Seraphim
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »

Ever take off your shoes in in the dead of winter in freezing temperatures?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »

Or maybe not.

Yeah but the Old has to be read in light of the New. Now that God became man everything is clean and holy, therefore humans can stand on holy ground.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »

So this post is going to seem crazy to most of you I am sure but would someone please tell me why we wear our shoes while at Divine Liturgy? It seems to me that coming into the church with all of the grime and dirt on the bottom of our shoes is just wrong.   I have been told that it simply is not part of our tradition to park our foot wear outside but some how this explanation just seems totally lame to me.   It just doesn't feel right to be at Divine Liturgy shod.   I will confess that I was raised in the Middle East and I am a convert to Orthodoxy.

In Christ:
Seraphim

Actually, It is the custom in some Orthodox Churches to do this. In the Oriental Orthodox Church, the Copts (from Egypt), the Ethiopians, the Indian Orthodox, and a few Syriac Church do it.

In the Eastern Orthodox Church, this practices in mainly kept in places where it is culturally correct to remove your shoes in worship areas EO missions in places like Asia/Indian Subcontinent remove their shoes when praying. Im not sure but I think that the some of the Georgians also remove their shoes at church. Does anyone know if the Arab Orthodox also do this?

I remove my shoes during Holy Week services as do many of the Oriental Orthodox who come to our church.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

Arent you supposed to be Ukrainian (Its always Cold in Ukraine)! This Babushka says "BRING ON THE COLD!"

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
converted viking

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:22 PM »

Well I live in the South and usually wear my Birks year around.  If it hits freezing then I will throw on the socks.  Freaks my daughter out but she is an adult now and no longer lives at home.  The dogs don't care, my wife ignores it.  laugh

Seraphim

converted viking

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »

In Christ:
Seraphim

Actually, It is the custom in some Orthodox Churches to do this. In the Oriental Orthodox Church, the Copts (from Egypt), the Ethiopians, the Indian Orthodox, and a few Syriac Church do it.

In the Eastern Orthodox Church, this practices in mainly kept in places where it is culturally correct to remove your shoes in worship areas EO missions in places like Asia/Indian Subcontinent remove their shoes when praying. Im not sure but I think that the some of the Georgians also remove their shoes at church. Does anyone know if the Arab Orthodox also do this?

I remove my shoes during Holy Week services as do many of the Oriental Orthodox who come to our church.

It always seems to boil down to culture.

Seraphim
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »

I live on California. Unfortunately I cannot use the cold as an excuse to wear my shoes.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
converted viking

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

Arent you supposed to be Ukrainian (Its always Cold in Ukraine)! This Babushka says "BRING ON THE COLD!"

Sheshhhhh, I don't think I would give this Babushka a hard time. I have the feeling she would whack the snot out of someone if she thought it needed to be done.  Tough lady !!!  laugh
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:05:33 PM by converted viking » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 11:12:59 PM »

That's how I imagine Liza and LBK.  angel

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »

That's how I imagine Liza and LBK.  angel

I'm immune to flattery.  laugh laugh laugh

And I agree - babas like that one comprehensively demolish the idea of women being the weaker sex. If it weren't for these indomitable ladies, the world (and every Orthodox parish) would collapse in a screaming heap.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

So this post is going to seem crazy to most of you I am sure but would someone please tell me why we wear our shoes while at Divine Liturgy? It seems to me that coming into the church with all of the grime and dirt on the bottom of our shoes is just wrong.   I have been told that it simply is not part of our tradition to park our foot wear outside but some how this explanation just seems totally lame to me.   It just doesn't feel right to be at Divine Liturgy shod.   I will confess that I was raised in the Middle East and I am a convert to Orthodoxy.

In Christ:
Seraphim

In the Ethiopian jurisdiction we don't Smiley

Or maybe not.

The Coptic parishes I've attended they wore shoes.  I take mine off at ALL Divine Liturgies out of habit, and at the Coptic Church I am the only one in bare feet Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:41:29 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 12:42:15 AM »

Some would find a bunch of bare-footed women to be a distraction.  Wink
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:42:33 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:19 AM »

I doubt that a bunch of barefooted men would be any less so ....  Tongue Tongue Shocked
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 12:53:32 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Some would find a bunch of bare-footed women to be a distraction.  Wink

I doubt that a bunch of barefooted men would be any less so ....  Tongue Tongue Shocked

That should keep y'all focused on the Altar and the task at hand Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:53:43 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »

The Coptic parishes I've attended they wore shoes.  I take mine off at ALL Divine Liturgies out of habit, and at the Coptic Church I am the only one in bare feet Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

But in Coptic parishes, everyone does take their shoes off before going to Communion, reading the Gospel, entering the Sanctuary, etc.

Traditionally, everyone took their shoes off before entering the Church, and I'm told that at some Churches in Egypt, especially those without pews, people continue to do so. It is a custom though, there is no canon demanding it.

At my church, many people do take their shoes off before entering the Church. Most of the Eritreans and Ethiopians do, and a some of the Copts and converts do. This can be a problem, since it's a converted Protestant building, and there's no good space to leave the shoes, so the Narthex fills up with them, since people don't realize the narthex is part of the Church... then the kids who are crying and playing in the Narthex want to wear everyone's shoes... I taught my son to run down to the basement and yell "shoes off" before going up to the Church ,since if I wait for Communion to take them off he's too tired, and screams until Communion is over and he can have them back...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »

But in Coptic parishes, everyone does take their shoes off before going to Communion, reading the Gospel, entering the Sanctuary, etc.

Traditionally, everyone took their shoes off before entering the Church, and I'm told that at some Churches in Egypt, especially those without pews, people continue to do so. It is a custom though, there is no canon demanding it.

At my church, many people do take their shoes off before entering the Church. Most of the Eritreans and Ethiopians do, and a some of the Copts and converts do. This can be a problem, since it's a converted Protestant building, and there's no good space to leave the shoes, so the Narthex fills up with them, since people don't realize the narthex is part of the Church... then the kids who are crying and playing in the Narthex want to wear everyone's shoes... I taught my son to run down to the basement and yell "shoes off" before going up to the Church ,since if I wait for Communion to take them off he's too tired, and screams until Communion is over and he can have them back...

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert about the Coptic Church. I can only testify my own experience, and at ALL the Coptic services I attended EVERYONE but me was wearing shoes Wink

If this is contrary to Tradition that is one thing, but all the same it contradicts what you said about everyone taking off their shows.  At every Ethiopian services I've attended barefoot mandatory for all ages, but not the Copts. I am not projecting this onto the entirety of 12 MILLION Copts, but again, it has been my experience with few parishes I've attended.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert about the Coptic Church. I can only testify my own experience, and at ALL the Coptic services I attended EVERYONE but me was wearing shoes Wink

If this is contrary to Tradition that is one thing, but all the same it contradicts what you said about everyone taking off their shows.  At every Ethiopian services I've attended barefoot mandatory for all ages, but not the Copts. I am not projecting this onto the entirety of 12 MILLION Copts, but again, it has been my experience with few parishes I've attended.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Perhaps you misread what I said. I said that the majority of Copts keep their shoes on during the Liturgy (except in more traditional parishes, especially those without shoes). But they remove their shoes for Communion. I have never in my life seen or heard of a Copt receiving Communion wearing shoes, or vesting, or entering the Sanctuary wearing shoes. I have seen people nearly knock small children out of their parents arms because the parents forgot to take their infants shoes off. Perhaps you are confusing Sanctuary with Nave?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »

I've seen many people in the OCA remove their shoes in line to get communion....

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »

I've seen many people in the OCA remove their shoes in line to get communion....

Weird. Were they OO converts?

It's strange that Russians don't remove their shoes in church, actually, because they commonly do at home and wear special slippers even when visiting.

Ecclesiastical slippers are cool. Almost as cool as ecclesiastical gloves.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 02:08:28 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Perhaps you misread what I said. I said that the majority of Copts keep their shoes on during the Liturgy (except in more traditional parishes, especially those without shoes). But they remove their shoes for Communion. I have never in my life seen or heard of a Copt receiving Communion wearing shoes, or vesting, or entering the Sanctuary wearing shoes. I have seen people nearly knock small children out of their parents arms because the parents forgot to take their infants shoes off. Perhaps you are confusing Sanctuary with Nave?

Maybe I didn't notice them take of their shoes at the Altar, but I'd think I would have seen a pile of shoes at the front of Sanctuary then, after all, considering I attend Ethiopian services seeing piles of shoes at the Church is a warm and welcoming sight Smiley

I'm not trying to make accusations, just trying to make sense of my experiences outside of my jurisdiction.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 02:12:24 AM »

TMI, man. TMI.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »

It's strange that Russians don't remove their shoes in church, actually, because they commonly do at home and wear special slippers even when visiting.

Liturgy is a feast. Do the Russians remove their shoes during other kind of feasts such as marriages, birthday parties etc. ?

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 05:47:49 AM »

Jonathan, yes from my experience, my sister's experience and my aunt's( who was traveling back and forth to Egypt for quite some time) I have yet to see or hear a Copt entering sanctuary and/or communing with shoes on. I am well aware that most in the US enter the church with shoes on however ALL take it off during communion, and without exception all those that enter the sanctuary took off their shoe. my aunt had told me that in Egypt there are parishes where everyone took of their shoe just to enter the Church.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:51:26 AM by Hiwot » Logged

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Maybe I didn't notice them take of their shoes at the Altar, but I'd think I would have seen a pile of shoes at the front of Sanctuary then, after all, considering I attend Ethiopian services seeing piles of shoes at the Church is a warm and welcoming sight Smiley

I'm not trying to make accusations, just trying to make sense of my experiences outside of my jurisdiction.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I've always seen those serving leave their shoes outside the church. At my church there is a separate entrance for "deacons" with a large shoe rack where everyone leaves their shoes, it leads through the sanctuary into the church. People normally leave their shoes under the pew in front of them when they go for Communion. Many take their shoes off and leave them there right after they get into the Church. In our chapel, the altar is not elevated, so everyone must remove their shoes before entering the room.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »

TMI, man. TMI.

Just pointing out an oft-neglected fact  police

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »

Try removing your shoes in winter while staying on the stone floor with no underfloor heating... Even in shoes it sometimes is hard to endure.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:24 PM »

Definitely a cultural thing.  I know that when I visited the Mosque once with a friend a long time ago, taking off my shoes felt strange.  Even though everyone was wearing socks, I was afraid I'd somehow contract athlete's foot or something from the carpet. 

I also don't like my feet.  It's just that they're so pale, especially against dark carpet. (along with the rest of me.  C'est la vie.)  People just love to point this out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:53:58 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »

One can't mingle with nobility with bad shoes

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »

I've heard Fr. Daniel Byantoro, the Archimandrite over the Indonesian Orthodox Church (EO), mention that the Indonesian Orthodox remove their shoes, as they live in the largest Muslim nation in the world.

IIRC, the Indonesian Church is under the Moscow Patriarchate...and possibility part of ROCOR?

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: