OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honor the women/Mary who anoint Jesus at Bethany?  (Read 413 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: September 27, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »

Mark 14:3-9 :
And being in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper, as He sat at the table, a woman came having an alabaster flask of very costly oil of spikenard. Then she broke the flask and poured it on His head. But there were some who were indignant among themselves, and said, “Why was this fragrant oil wasted?  For it might have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor.” And they criticized her sharply.

But Jesus said, “Let her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a good work for Me. For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always. She has done what she could. She has come beforehand to anoint My body for burial.  Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”

John12:1-8:

Then, six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was who had been dead, whom He had raised from the dead. There they made Him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those who sat at the table with Him.  Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.

But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, who would betray Him, said,  “Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”  This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it.

But Jesus said, “Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of My burial. 8 For the poor you have with you always, but Me you do not have always.”

Jesus said that wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman/Mary has done would also be told as a memorial to her. Did Orthodox Christians give the honour this women (e.g. Mary) who show great love to Jesus and anoints Him at Bethany?

(I am sure none of the Protestant Christians do so!)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:49:22 AM by walter1234 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

Mary is a Saint (as well as her sister and brother).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »

Mary is a Saint (as well as her sister and brother).

I think protestant Christians do not follow what Jesus said.

Jesus  said that wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman/Mary has done would also be told as a memorial to her. I don't see any of them do so!! We  very seldom tell what Mary done on Jesus before He is crucified !!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:58:38 AM by walter1234 » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »

Mary of Bethany, sister of Lazarus whom Christ resurrected from the dead, is not only a saint, but is numbered among the Holy Myrrh-bearing Women, who went to Christ's tomb to anoint the body of Christ as part of the necessary burial rites. These women were graced with being the first to see the resurrected Christ, and were told by Him to tell this joyous news to the other disciples.

The Orthodox Church commemorates these holy women as a group on the second Sunday after Easter/Pascha. They are also regarded as patron-saints of the women in every parish who work in so many ways to keep a church running and in good order. They cook, they clean, they teach Sunday School, they fundraise, they bake prosphora, they repair and maintain (and often make) the vestments of clergy and altarboys ... and much else. From my long experience of Orthodox parish life, I can confidently say that these women are the rock and glue of every parish. The place would crumble into a screaming heap if it weren't for their service and dedication.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: