OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:38:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should probably ask my priest, but would like some "outisde" posts.  (Read 1760 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

This Sunday is going to start the Ambrosion Choirsters singing during High Mass once a month, at my parish. This Sunday it will be "J. H. Reginald Dixon’s Mass in E flat in honour of St. Paulinus of York" and next week is "August J. Huybrecht’s PRIZE MASS in hour of St. Francis of Assisi"

Is there a problem with this, since these songs are not towards saints of the Orthodox Church? Or does it really matter?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »

High Mass? Are you in the Western Rite?

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:05 PM »

Yes.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »

Yes.

Cool. I must admit that the way I browse the site I didn't see that this was in WR Discussion. *facepalm*

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:35 PM »

Yes.

Cool. I must admit that the way I browse the site I didn't see that this was in WR Discussion. *facepalm*
NP, I assumed that for you lol.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

Is there a problem with this, since these songs are not towards saints of the Orthodox Church? Or does it really matter?

That depends on if you're AWRV or ROCOR WR- if Antiochian, then it all depends on what day of the week it is, whether the coin lands heads or tails, and what parish you happen to be attending. If you're ROCOR WR, then "anathema"! but only toward St Francis- St Paulinus is 7th Century, which means pre-schism, which means it's kosher- with even a little leeway going toward English saints until midway through the 12th century or so.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »

Yeah I'm AWRV. But I was looking everywhere for an Orthodox source that shows canonization of St. Paulinus as a saint in the Church. You're right he is 7th century and should be good, but yeah the usage of a mass in the hour of St. Francis of Assisi rubs me the wrong way.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »

Yeah I'm AWRV. But I was looking everywhere for an Orthodox source that shows canonization of St. Paulinus as a saint in the Church. You're right he is 7th century and should be good, but yeah the usage of a mass in the hour of St. Francis of Assisi rubs me the wrong way.

Well, as regards St Paulinus: Remember, we Orthodox approach canonization in a completely different way than certain other groups we could name  angel St Paulinus was venerated by the local Church in England pre-schism, which makes him as official a saint as the Orthodox Church gets.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »

Well, as regards St Paulinus: Remember, we Orthodox approach canonization in a completely different way than certain other groups we could name  angel St Paulinus was venerated by the local Church in England pre-schism, which makes him as official a saint as the Orthodox Church gets.
I understand that, but I wish there was an exhaustive compendium out there. We can say all pre-schismatic saints are recognize by the Orthodox Church unless there is an exception?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »

I understand that, but I wish there was an exhaustive compendium out there. We can say all pre-schismatic saints are recognize by the Orthodox Church unless there is an exception?

If there were an exception, it would be St. Augustine of Hippo, and since he's not an exception ...

There's a questionable space in the 11th century, but if they lived in the first millennium, and *especially* if devotion started in the first millennium, then they are definitely considered a saint in the Orthodox Church--whether any synod of the Church was familiar enough with them to add them to their local calendar or not.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »

Thanks, witega. That being said, how do you feel about a mass sung in honor of St. Francis of Assisi in the Orthodox Church?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »

It may be "in honor of St. Francis of Assisi," but is there actual text commemorating Francis? It could be just a musical setting thing.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:34 PM »

...how do you feel about a mass sung in honor of St. Francis of Assisi in the Orthodox Church?

That it's very inappropriate.  He might've been a swell fellow, but he is not an Orthodox saint.

but yeah the usage of a mass in the hour of St. Francis of Assisi rubs me the wrong way.

As it should. We aren't even permitted to liturgically pray for our non-Orthodox relatives, but some guy from another church is fine to commemorate.  If this is as you believe it to be, the WR needs to sort stuff like this out.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »

Thanks, witega. That being said, how do you feel about a mass sung in honor of St. Francis of Assisi in the Orthodox Church?

I avoided responding to that part of your question on the priniciple that, 'If you can't say something edifying...'

I agree with Cognomen's response though I could not put it so mildly. I could not in good conscience attend such a service.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 11:04:18 PM »

Here's a PDF document on what I'm talking about:

Ambrosian Choristers Fall 2012
http://www.staugustinedenver.org/pdfs/ChoristersFall2012.pdf
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:04:33 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »

I avoided responding to that part of your question on the priniciple that, 'If you can't say something edifying...'

I agree with Cognomen's response though I could not put it so mildly. I could not in good conscience attend such a service.

Count me in with Achronos and Cognomen. Hasn't enough damage been caused by the syncretist liturgical and iconographic practices of New Skete? WRO has enough trouble being accepted as kosher without the possibility of their veneration of someone who is not an Orthodox saint.  Angry
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 11:21:53 PM »

I don't know about the dude, he seemed sort of strange from what I remember reading about him in Chesterton. Never liked his name either. Francis is sissy enough a name for a boy, without making problems worse with that assisi stuff  police
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »

It may be "in honor of St. Francis of Assisi," but is there actual text commemorating Francis? It could be just a musical setting thing.

This is very possible, and if this is the case, I don't see what the problem would be.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

I'll let you guys know of there is.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 10:47:26 PM »

I highly doubt it will be the mass itself in honor of St. Francis (especially considering that it's the feast of Christ the King), it's just the official title of the mass music setting they'll be using. As in, Huybrecht composed the music in honor of the saint, and nothing more. Part of Antioch's approach to the Western Rite is preserving things like mass music settings despite who they may've been composed in honor of, but valuing them on their aesthetic qualities, availability, familiarity to the congregation, etc. I really wouldn't worry about it Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »

I highly doubt it will be the mass itself in honor of St. Francis (especially considering that it's the feast of Christ the King), it's just the official title of the mass music setting they'll be using. As in, Huybrecht composed the music in honor of the saint, and nothing more. Part of Antioch's approach to the Western Rite is preserving things like mass music settings despite who they may've been composed in honor of, but valuing them on their aesthetic qualities, availability, familiarity to the congregation, etc. I really wouldn't worry about it Smiley
Thanks bud.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: