OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 07:57:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: See you at the pole  (Read 4689 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »

I think all the micro management of prayer in this thread is...it's not good. 
this

double this

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »

We do this at my school every year.  I don't see anything wrong with a Christian doing it, Orthodox or otherwise.  It's one's intentions that matter most, after all.

I, personally, don't participate.  Though I'm a part of our Christian club, who host the event, it's not my thing.  I'm a huge fan of secularism in the government, and this event seems to be against it.  Most of the kids in this group are Evangelical Christians, and there is a lot that they stand for which I do not, so I seldom do activities like this "see you at the pole" silliness with them.

This group, as I said, is mostly attended by Evangelical kids.  I am very clear about my not being Evangelical in my beliefs, and it's respected, though I can hardly go two weeks without getting an invitation to be "saved".  I am attending an Anglican Church which I love, so I sometimes get the sense that I'm the odd man out in this club. (didn't think big post updating you all on every little change in my life was necessary! Tongue )  They're known for being very bigoted and right-wing.  The Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran friends I have can't stand this group.  I'm just there so that a "Christian" group has at least some representation from another point of view.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:59:35 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2012, 02:00:11 AM »

We do this at my school every year.  I don't see anything wrong with a Christian doing it, Orthodox or otherwise.  It's one's intentions that matter most, after all.

I, personally, don't participate.  Though I'm a part of our Christian club, who host the event, it's not my thing.  I'm a huge fan of secularism in the government, and this event seems to be against it.  Most of the kids in this group are Evangelical Christians, and there is a lot that they stand for which I do not, so I seldom do activities like this "see you at the pole" silliness with them.

This group, as I said, is mostly attended by Evangelical kids.  I am very clear about my not being Evangelical in my beliefs, and it's respected, though I can hardly go two weeks without getting an invitation to be "saved".  I am attending an Anglican Church which I love, so I sometimes get the sense that I'm the odd man out in this club. (didn't think big post updating you all on every little change in my life was necessary! Tongue )  They're known for being very bigoted and right-wing.  The Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran friends I have can't stand this group.  I'm just there so that a "Christian" group has at least some representation from another point of view.

Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:00:31 AM by OrthoNoob » Logged

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »

Lips Sealed

-What's wrong with a secularist government?  I know that I'm young and have limited life experiences, but in order for religious freedom to flourish, the government must be secular.  I don't mean forcing secularism, but not bending to the whims of a particular religious tradition.  In the eyes of the government, Christianity should be just as valid as Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Atheism, etc. 

-Also, I was going without Church for a long time.  I wasn't even sure if I believed in God.  I'm a practicing Christian again and I feel wonderful.  I should hope that you OC.net'ers, my friends, would be happy for me.  Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2012, 05:31:25 AM »

@trevor72694: Since you left the Church as a moderator I am asking you not to present your opinions on theology and faith in that section. Do it in the "Orthodox-Protestant Discussion" one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2012, 05:39:05 AM »

Shouldnt the form of government be discussed in the Politics section anyway?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »

@trevor72694: Since you left the Church as a moderator I am asking you not to present your opinions on theology and faith in that section. Do it in the "Orthodox-Protestant Discussion" one.
Will do!  Smiley

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »

Father, we just come before You and just lift up our flagpole, Father, which doth be suffering from the affliction of the dire frost of winter, and we just ask, Father, that You, Father, would just put a hedge of protection, Father, around the school, and just bless the books of our students to their learning, Father. We also just pray, Father...

Oh my. It's so true. The "Polite/Deprecatory Just" used in prayer drives me crazy. And "hedge of protection".. Tongue

I'm also disturbed by the séance-style handholding that occurs at these events (and at Thanksgiving dinner). Why do people hold hands while praying?

I remember watching a video parodying how some evangelicals pray. "We just, Father God, ask you, Father God, that you, Father God, would teach us all your, Father God ways....Father God."

The guy who made the video said, "WHY DO YOU DO THAT??? Do you think God forgets His name? Or are you just trying to keep His attention?"  Cheesy

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »

Lips Sealed

-What's wrong with a secularist government?  I know that I'm young and have limited life experiences, but in order for religious freedom to flourish, the government must be secular.  I don't mean forcing secularism, but not bending to the whims of a particular religious tradition.  In the eyes of the government, Christianity should be just as valid as Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Atheism, etc. 

-Also, I was going without Church for a long time.  I wasn't even sure if I believed in God.  I'm a practicing Christian again and I feel wonderful.  I should hope that you OC.net'ers, my friends, would be happy for me.  Smiley

I'm strongly for religious establishment, but that wasn't my point. That would be for the Politics section. I was just noting the irony of being for secularism in the government and yet attending an Anglican Church, given the fact that the Anglican Church's whole history (except for a brief period under Queen Mary I) is one of being established.

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

And I havent talked to any real life Orthodox people who see what the big deal about it is either.

I promise you that I am not a figment of your imagination.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »

I was just noting the irony of being for secularism in the government and yet attending an Anglican Church, given the fact that the Anglican Church's whole history (except for a brief period under Queen Mary I) is one of being established.
That's the case in England. But for example in Scotland, it always was kind of an underdog thing.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »

I was just noting the irony of being for secularism in the government and yet attending an Anglican Church, given the fact that the Anglican Church's whole history (except for a brief period under Queen Mary I) is one of being established.
That's the case in England. But for example in Scotland, it always was kind of an underdog thing.

That's true. But the basic identity of the Anglican Church is that it is the established Church of England. Anywhere else, it's essentially the English Church outside England. Heck, even the name means "English." For better or for worse, Anglican identity, theology, and practice is intimately caught up with Tudor-era English politics.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »

Sorry to hear that, Trevor.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »

But the basic identity of the Anglican Church is that it is the established Church of England. Anywhere else, it's essentially the English Church outside England.
That's not my experience. The ECUSA for example has a strong identity of its own: National Cathedral, liturgical worship, liberalism in women's and LGBT issues.

The Anglican Church in South Africa also has its own identity, through its history of white Anglo-Catholics and educated Coloureds and Blacks fighting Apartheid together.

The Church of Nigeria, the largest Anglican local church, through its conservative, biblical style, but with liturgical elements, missionary zeal, opposition to Islam...

The Church of Ireland as being of English origin, but trying to present itself in continuity to the old Irish church of St. Patrick, trying to stay neutral in the Roman Catholic-Protestant conflicts, while at the same time welcoming enormous numbers of disappointed Roman Catholics.

The Scottish Episcopal Church, as the middle ground between papism and presbyterianism, and of course considering itself to be the most Scottish church, only true heir of the pre-refrmation church in Scotland, through its chain of apostolic succession.

The Episcopal churches of Spain and Portugal, founded in protest over Vatican I, but with evangelical elements trhough the support they received from "low church" Anglicans.

etc.
OrthoNoob
High Elder

« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »

I don't mean "how they think of themselves." I mean, as a matter of history, where they came from and what they are.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »

I don't mean "how they think of themselves." I mean, as a matter of history, where they came from and what they are.
Well, the Church of Scotland really has its own history. The rest is related to the British Empire, of course. But that has no prevented them from localising. I guess we could say that Orthodoxy has the same relationship to the Byzantine Empire and Anglicanism has to the British Empire. Only that they are doing much better in overcoming phyletism that we do, except maybe in Quebec.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: