OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:07:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: See you at the pole  (Read 5101 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: September 26, 2012, 07:56:58 AM »

There is an event called "See You At the Pole" every year where kids gather around their flagpoles at school and pray for their school, classmates, country, etc. I've only been to one when I was a kid and I thought it was pretty lame (but a decent enough idea). The event has become pretty widespread here in the USA. Its usually alot of Baptists, Lutherans, etc. But there are also  the occasional JW or Mormon that shows up. Should Orthodox Christians be a part of this or not?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »

Ask an Old Calendarist!  Wink laugh

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »

There is an event called "See You At the Pole" every year where kids gather around their flagpoles at school and pray for their school, classmates, country, etc. I've only been to one when I was a kid and I thought it was pretty lame (but a decent enough idea). The event has become pretty widespread here in the USA. Its usually alot of Baptists, Lutherans, etc. But there are also  the occasional JW or Mormon that shows up. Should Orthodox Christians be a part of this or not?

PP

I played guitar and "lead worship" at a few of these things back in the day! Ha. I dont see any reason why Orthodox students shouldnt participate.  Ive heard people mention that you shouldnt pray with heterodox, but im not completely sure how I feel about that.  I dont see how it could be bad to pray for your school, classmates and country with other people.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »

They prayer an Orthodox Christian makes in his heart with pain and love is more seemly than flag worshipping ecumania.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »

Yeah, the whole rallying around the American flag bit is crossing a line.  To be clear, I feel the same way about rallying around the flags of Orthodox cultures as well. 
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »

Yeah, the whole rallying around the American flag bit is crossing a line.  To be clear, I feel the same way about rallying around the flags of Orthodox cultures as well. 

The definition of "Religious Nationalism" is probably a bit vague, but in my experience even those who may appreciate the 'God and Country' thing, are pretty cool to the idea of 'Christian Nationalism

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Knee V

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »

There are reasons why canons forbid us from engaging in non-Orthodox prayer with those outside the Church. I would talk to your priest about it.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »

Does this day's name seem sexual to anyone else?
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:44 PM »

Does this day's name seem sexual to anyone else?

No... Roll Eyes angel Never crossed my mind.  Lips Sealed

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:34:48 AM »

I thought this thread was going to be about Mr. Kalina...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »

Praying with heathens? Apostosy! It violates [insert obscure canon here]

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 12:46:15 AM »

The Apostolic Canons are obscure now?  Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »

Being RC/Orthodox/LCMS/High Anglican and praying with Evangelicals is like the SCA playing with LARPers.   police

AND ST. PAUL SAID LET YE NOT BE UNEQUALLY YOKED
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:03:49 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:11:44 AM »

Father, we just come before You and just lift up our flagpole, Father, which doth be suffering from the affliction of the dire frost of winter, and we just ask, Father, that You, Father, would just put a hedge of protection, Father, around the school, and just bless the books of our students to their learning, Father. We also just pray, Father...

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 03:28:59 AM »

Father, we just come before You and just lift up our flagpole,

Why does God need that?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 03:51:11 AM »

One of the above users does kind of have a point. Usually these Evangelical-influenced events can very often be hostile toward or at the very least very awkward for the few EOs or RCs who happen to show up. In fact, many Evangelical kids try to use these events as opportunities to 'evangelise'.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:40:23 AM »

Woah! This threads name!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:41:01 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 07:18:05 AM »

LOL I just thought of that. WOW. SOrry about that mates Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »

I have no idea what is wrong with the thread name.   Huh  That is what the event is called, is it not?
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »

In my experience with these events, its not so much about the flagpole itself.  The flagpole is usually in a central, public location and every school has one.  I think thats why they go there.  If every school in the country had a giant apple tree out front, maybe theyd have it there.  As usual, i could be wrong in my assessment. Like I said, I only attended a couple of these when I was asked to help "lead worship" back in the day.  Never went on my own.

Being new to Orthodoxy, im not yet aware of all the different cannons out there, so that is why I said I didnt think it would be a big deal to attend one of these things.  A couple of good points have been raised to counter my original post, but I still just dont think it would be a big deal as this type of flagpole gathering just doesnt seem like thats really that serious.  It seems more of an evangelical way to "evangelize" by praying in public, hoping that the "lost" kids at their school will say "hmm, what are they doing? that looks fun. maybe I should check it out." (although that probably doesnt often happen...)

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »

Perhaps it is our duty to Christendom to attend this event.

I hear the neopagans are already planning 'see you at the maypole' to outshine us.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

Why does God need that?

Are you asking me to justify the evangelical prayer style I am parodying?

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

If the event were really about prayer then it wouldn't need to be an event.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »

Father, we just come before You and just lift up our flagpole, Father, which doth be suffering from the affliction of the dire frost of winter, and we just ask, Father, that You, Father, would just put a hedge of protection, Father, around the school, and just bless the books of our students to their learning, Father. We also just pray, Father...

Nicely turned.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »

I went to one of these in the late 90s, before I was all hard and cynical about popular religion, and even got my picture in the paper holding hands in a circle with a youth minister and a pretty girl.

But if there ever was a place for a Biblical proof text, though, it’s SYATP:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »

Nicely turned.

I grew up surrounded by that. I should put it down as a second language on my resumé.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »

Nicely turned.

I grew up surrounded by that. I should put it down as a second language on my resumé.

Sovereign Father God we just, like, want to thank and praise, and um, like uh, you are so beautiful and, this pole, I mean...

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »

Nicely turned.

Sovereign Father God we just, like, want to thank and praise, and um, like uh, you are so beautiful and, this pole, I mean...

...in Your Most Precious Name,
Amen.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »

Obviously, none of the fictional people praying here were Orthodox since there were no Trinitarian references or superlative apophatic adjectives.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »

Why does God need that?

Why did He need foreskins?

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:19 AM »

Why does God need that?

Why did He need foreskins?

The Rabbis do.

Forgive my sins.
Knee V

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 02:52:28 AM »

Of course, the proper application of any canon is determined by one's bishop, or one's priest with the blessing of the bishop. So, as I said, it is best to first check with one's priest. But in a more general sense, the reason that we are not to pray with heretics/heterodox/schismatics/non-christians, is that to participate with them in their prayers and rites is to consent to the validity of what it is they're doing and what it is they believe and to align ourselves with them. So, generally speaking, to attend a "See You at the Pole" event is to essentially conform ourselves to the heresies of many of those attending and to send a message that we agree with them in what they do and how they do it.

We have to guard ourselves against seeming arrogant when we approach this kind of thing (especially if we're invited or we're asked why we're not there), but we also have to guard ourselves from error and not deliberately go out of our way to place ourselves in spiritually precarious positions. It is a dangerous thing to join heretics and non-Christians in their prayers and rites. And certain levels of that kind of participation even automatically place us outside of the Church by virtue of our participation (for example, getting married outside the Church, taking communion somewhere outside the Church, etc).

I just urge you to be very careful when approaching this.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »

Obviously, none of the fictional people praying here were Orthodox since there were no Trinitarian references or superlative apophatic adjectives.

I love how it's always Christ they address repeatedly as Father. Sabellius would be proud.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 06:40:33 AM »

Yeah, the whole rallying around the American flag bit is crossing a line.

Semaiolatry
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:41:01 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »

I love how it's always Christ they address repeatedly as Father. Sabellius would be proud.

Although the "In Your Name" ending might give that impression, I think if you asked them they would say they were addressing the Father (if they had enough understanding of the Trinity to grasp the difference).

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »

You forgot "vouchsafe".

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »

Although the "In Your Name" ending might give that impression, I think if you asked them they would say they were addressing the Father (if they had enough understanding of the Trinity to grasp the difference).

I've heard people say "We thank you Jesus for being our Father, and Jesus our heavenly Father, we just ask, Father, that erm..." etc.

I actually heard one guy use "Daddy" since "Father" wasn't intimate enough.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »

Me and a friend used to count how many times someone praying would say "just."  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

I've heard people say "We thank you Jesus for being our Father, and Jesus our heavenly Father, we just ask, Father, that erm..." etc.

*facepalm*

That's new on me.

In the same vein, how many times has an evangelical compared the Trinity to water, ice, and steam? *facepalm*

Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »

*facepalm*

That's new on me.

In the same vein, how many times has an evangelical compared the Trinity to water, ice, and steam? *facepalm*

Or the egg; shell, egg white and yoke. That was one I heard quite a lot growing up.

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »

*facepalm*

That's new on me.

Or the egg; shell, egg white and yoke. That was one I heard quite a lot growing up.

Just when you thought it didn't get worse than modalism. Then again, isn't St. Patrick credited with the at least equally dangerous three-leaf clover analogy?

Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

*facepalm*

That's new on me.

Just when you thought it didn't get worse than modalism. Then again, isn't St. Patrick credited with the at least equally dangerous three-leaf clover analogy?

I know very little about his analogy, to be honest  Undecided

Knee V

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 03:00:34 AM »

Me and a friend used to count how many times someone praying would say "just."  laugh

I do the exact same thing. I also count how many times someone says "Father" or "Father God".
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 04:43:36 AM »

I see no problem with the event.  It's once a year at a common place to pray for the country and its leaders.  We find this in the Divine Liturgy.  And after all, whether we like the way someone prays is irrelevant when we consider the other option, which some are trying to make happen.  No prayer allowed.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »

Then again, isn't St. Patrick credited with the at least equally dangerous three-leaf clover analogy?

It's another thing using that analogy when presenting Christianity to pagans as a form of simple introduction, and then following it up later with more in-depth catechism.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: