OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Testament before Old Testament  (Read 277 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: September 25, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »

Since the order in which the books occur in the Scripture has not been defined via ecumenical council (at least, not that I know of), why not publish Scripture that begins with the New Testament and ends with the Old Testament -- since the Old can only be understood by the New?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »

Why not include the writings of Origen of Alexandria with the Old Testament? To be honest, he is the only person who has ever truly helped me to understand the Old Testament and see it for what it is really worth opposed to just seeing it as this boring account of an angry God who is always punishing everyone.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Since the order in which the books occur in the Scripture has not been defined via ecumenical council (at least, not that I know of), why not publish Scripture that begins with the New Testament and ends with the Old Testament -- since the Old can only be understood by the New?

When talking with folks who are  not familiar with the Bible, I generally tell them to read the Gospels first as an introduction, and later to get into the Laws.  After all, most peoples complaints about Christianity aren't even from the New Testament, they are disputes about the law, which as my signature quote suggests, "are without benefit and vain."

I will tell you the truth, there must be several BILLION Bibles out there in the world, and in many places people are upwards of 90% literate, and yet has the Bible changed the world in this regard? No.  So I am all the more coming to understand the Bible is a tool best reserved for the context of the experts.  I am increasingly starting to believe the Bible should come with a Spiritual Parental Advisory warning people not to read it with out the expert counsel of their spiritual fathers in the Church Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

When talking with folks who are  not familiar with the Bible, I generally tell them to read the Gospels first as an introduction, and later to get into the Laws.  After all, most peoples complaints about Christianity aren't even from the New Testament, they are disputes about the law, which as my signature quote suggests, "are without benefit and vain."

I will tell you the truth, there must be several BILLION Bibles out there in the world, and in many places people are upwards of 90% literate, and yet has the Bible changed the world in this regard? No.  So I am all the more coming to understand the Bible is a tool best reserved for the context of the experts.  I am increasingly starting to believe the Bible should come with a Spiritual Parental Advisory warning people not to read it with out the expert counsel of their spiritual fathers in the Church Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Although I tend to agree about the importance of context, I feel sad every time I meet another young person who has no Biblical literacy whateoever. It's the most foundational book of Western culture.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Why not include the writings of Origen of Alexandria with the Old Testament? To be honest, he is the only person who has ever truly helped me to understand the Old Testament and see it for what it is really worth opposed to just seeing it as this boring account of an angry God who is always punishing everyone.

James, ever since you've gone over to the Dark Side, I've suddenly started gleaning the most wonderful insights from your posts. Not being facetious. I really mean it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: