OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:37:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maria Bambina  (Read 528 times) Average Rating: 0
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« on: September 24, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »

Hi everyone,

I found this interesting devotion in the Catholic Church to the infant Theotokos, Maria Bambina

http://www.mariabambina.org/

As an Orthodox Christian, what do you think of this devotion? Just curious.

And, since this is in the Orthodox-Catholic discussion, are there any Catholics on here that have heard of this?

Thank you and Blessings Smiley

Eastern Mind

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »

Personally, I find it really creepy. Also, I've been taught that we Orthodox venerate saints for their actions. This is why we remember saints on the day of their repose, as opposed to their birthday, to remember their life. I don't think an infant would have done anything considered worthy of veneration.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »

Never heard of it. Sounds like a folk devotion.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:57 AM »

Nativity of the Theotokos? Entrance of the Theotokos?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »

Personally, I find it really creepy. Also, I've been taught that we Orthodox venerate saints for their actions. This is why we remember saints on the day of their repose, as opposed to their birthday, to remember their life. I don't think an infant would have done anything considered worthy of veneration.

Must I remind everyone of my favorite Saint?

Shall I name everyone's favorite medieval Saint?

immediately after being born the infant is said to have cried out: "Christianus sum, christianus sum, christianus sum" ("I am a Christian, I am a Christian, I am a Christian"). He went on to further profess his faith, to request baptism, and to ask to be named "Rumwold", afterwards giving a sermon. He predicted his own death, and said where he wanted his body to be laid to rest, in Buckingham.

All within three days. And YOU thought your kid was gifted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumwold_of_Buckingham

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »

immediately after being born the infant is said to have cried out: "Christianus sum, christianus sum, christianus sum" ("I am a Christian, I am a Christian, I am a Christian"). He went on to further profess his faith, to request baptism, and to ask to be named "Rumwold", afterwards giving a sermon. He predicted his own death, and said where he wanted his body to be laid to rest, in Buckingham.

That is awesome!

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 03:26:52 AM »

That is awesome!

That is amazing. I'd never heard of him and Buckingham's the next town north from my home. I'm going to have to see if there's anything up there still to visit.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: