OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 01:57:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A young American has moved to Russia for being able to practice Orthodoxy  (Read 2222 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: September 24, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »

33-years-old American George Green, a former programmer has given up his career in the USA for being able to live in Russia and to practice Orthodoxy.

In interview to Interfax-Religion he told how being an adult chose his religion and subsequent reversals of his fortune...

I wonder how much time will it take for him to burn out.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »

Yawn, another anti-American American comes to Russia for salvation.....Methinks he is searching for that heaven on earth which can not be found by mere men. Back in the days of the Bolshevik revolution and into the 1930's he had plenty of company in that regard, only they saw their God in Leninism. John Reed and his fellow travelers must be laughing somewhere....
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »

I wonder, is this guy still in Ukraine? Or has he returned to Russia? It's not clear in the text.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

I could understand the anti-American aspect but that of all countries he chose Russia.  Huh

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »

[redacted polemics against pilgrimages not being Christian for almost everyone]

Perhaps everyone should read this:

When the Lord invites the blest to their inheritance in the kingdom of heaven, He does not include a pilgrimage to Jerusalem among their good deeds; when He announces the Beatitudes, He does not name among them that sort of devotion.

He cannot imagine that our Lord is living, in the body, there at the present day, but has gone away from us foreigners; or that the Holy Spirit is in abundance at Jerusalem, but unable to travel as far as us. Whereas, if it is really possible to infer God's presence from visible symbols, one might more justly consider that He dwelt in the Cappadocian nation than in any of the spots outside it. For how many Altars there are there, on which the name of our Lord is glorified! One could hardly count so many in all the rest of the world. Again, if the Divine grace was more abundant about Jerusalem than elsewhere, sin would not be so much the fashion among those that live there; but as it is, there is no form of uncleanness that is not perpetrated among them; rascality, adultery, theft, idolatry, poisoning, quarrelling, murder, are rife; and the last kind of evil is so excessively prevalent, that nowhere in the world are people so ready to kill each other as there; where kinsmen attack each other like wild beasts, and spill each other's blood, merely for the sake of lifeless plunder. Well, in a place where such things go on, what proof, I ask, have you of the abundance of Divine grace?

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2913.htm

And Jerusalem was not even a one of the three Moscows . . . 

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Golgotha

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »

I'd just go half way and move to Alaska Cool
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »

I would take Georgia or Romania. Beautiful countries.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 06:09:37 PM »

Can we define what it means to be "anti-American American"?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »

I wish him the best!  It takes courage to leave everything behind and follow Jesus, as we are commanded.  I suspect this fellow really seeks God and chose a place known for its sacrifices and Saints and also for seclusion.  What better place to live without distraction than somewhere not American.  Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:55:23 PM by Kerdy » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »

I wish him the best!  It takes courage to leave everything behind and follow Jesus, as we are commanded.  I suspect this fellow really seeks God and chose a place know for his sacrifices and Saints and also for seclusion.  What better place to live without distraction than somewhere not American.  Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
Because there are absolutely no carnal distractions in Holy Muscovy, none whatsoever.  Roll Eyes
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »

I wish him the best!  It takes courage to leave everything behind and follow Jesus, as we are commanded.  I suspect this fellow really seeks God and chose a place know for his sacrifices and Saints and also for seclusion.  What better place to live without distraction than somewhere not American.  Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
Because there are absolutely no carnal distractions in Holy Muscovy, none whatsoever.  Roll Eyes
Without money and the language barrier, very few.  But you are very well aware of what I was saying.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

Without money and the language barrier, very few.
You dont need any money or knowledge of the Russian language to get a carnal distraction in Russia. You just need to walk on a street and see the females. The majority of them look like supermodels, according to Western standards, and wear miniskirts even when it snows. And this is not an exaggeration.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »

You dont need any money or knowledge of the Russian language to get a carnal distraction in Russia. You just need to walk on a street and see the females. The majority of them look like supermodels, according to Western standards, and wear miniskirts even when it snows. And this is not an exaggeration.
I could careless about Western standards, but only my own standards when it comes to someone looking like a supermodel.

In fact I'm sure we could get discounts because we are Americans. Isn't there some class in France that just adores Americans, and they are rich too?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »

You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him. 
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »

I hear that you can see Russia from there.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »

You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him.  
I don't think anyone is attacking him, though I personally just find the notion that Russia is "Holier" than America to be little naïve.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:11:19 PM by sheenj » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »

I hear that you can see Russia from there.
So you watch SNL?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »

You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him.  
I don't think anyone is attacking him, though I personally just find the notion that Russia is "Holier" than America to be little naïve.

I understand that, it isn't, but at least this fellow is searching and I have not seen much encouragement here for him.  We should pray he finds what is soul is searching for, whether in Russia or somewhere else.

Now that you mention it, attack is too harsh a word.  Criticize would be a better word.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:25:03 PM by Kerdy » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »

You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him. 

I understand that, it isn't, but at least this fellow is searching and I have not seen much encouragement here for him.  We should pray he finds what is soul is searching for, whether in Russia or somewhere else.

Now that you mention it, attack is too harsh a word.  Criticize would be a better word.
Yeah, I definitely wish him well on his spiritual journey, if that's what he needs to do to be closer to God, then by all means do it. But, for the most part, Russia is not exactly the last fortress of Orthodoxy that some russophiles like to think it is.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:32:47 PM by sheenj » Logged
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 08:44:43 PM »

An elderly Russian lady once said "America is much holier than Russia because in America, Russians went to church to find a wife instead of other places!".

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »

Glory to God!

Forgive my sins.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »

Without money and the language barrier, very few.  But you are very well aware of what I was saying.

Oh, come on....
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »

Ask Νεκτάριος?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »

Hmmm...if an American wanted to pursue a monastic or semi-monastic life, Alaska might be the perfect place.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »

I don't want to name names, but some posters on this forum are prime examples.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 12:04:44 AM »

Thank God. The women there dress like women and the men like men.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »

Thank God. The women there dress like women and the men like men.

This is how the men look in Holy Russia:

(picture under Public Domain, source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gop3.jpg)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 01:08:22 AM »

I've seen that while in Russia, but I've seen more than what you post.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »

You dont need any money or knowledge of the Russian language to get a carnal distraction in Russia. You just need to walk on a street and see the females. The majority of them look like supermodels, according to Western standards, and wear miniskirts even when it snows.

Are you refering to looks or way of dressing?

Red A.

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »

Hmmm...if an American wanted to pursue a monastic or semi-monastic life, Alaska might be the perfect place.
5 years. The new will wear off and he will begin to judge them in Russia as harshly as he judged those in the U.S. No matter where you go, there you are.

The real question is will it be Tibet or Afghanistan next.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59:16 AM »

I could understand the anti-American aspect but that of all countries he chose Russia.  Huh

My thoughts exactly.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 05:06:45 AM »

Oh, come on....

You disagree?  I remember being a young man traveling the world looking for those things and without the money and language, it wasn't easy.  Practically impossible, which now I know was a blessing.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »

This guy, if he exists, is not exactly a 20 year old back packer on his way to find himself and see the world. He sounds embittered about a number of things, including what he called the inability of the American government to help him when his computer was stolen while in Ukraine and being bitter about having lost a job at a bank when the current economic meltdown began some years ago.

Look, if anyone has an idealized mindset that life for them will be better if they can just get to the 'promised land' (whatever that may be to the individual) - well then, go for it. But, as Frank Baum wrote a century ago in his famous children's book, The Wizard of Oz, things in the Emerald City are not always what they appear to be and the man behind the curtain is sometimes just a man - not an all-powerful wizard. Or as Dorothy concluded, there's no place like home for most of us to find our 'way.'
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »

I think Hyperdox Herman was his travel agent.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »

I could understand the anti-American aspect but that of all countries he chose Russia.  Huh

My thoughts exactly.
Maybe it's the result of so many people dying for their faith at the hands of tyranny and he considers it sacred ground.  Maybe he's just a nut.  I don't know, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, which isn't always easy for me and you guys keep messing it up.   Cry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:15:31 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »

I wish him the best!  It takes courage to leave everything behind and follow Jesus, as we are commanded.  I suspect this fellow really seeks God and chose a place known for its sacrifices and Saints and also for seclusion.  What better place to live without distraction than somewhere not American.  Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

His action is surely a strange application of "take your cross and follow me."

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »

It's certainly extreme.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 08:28:02 AM »

"  Summing up George confessed that he sees Russia as a country having an emerging middle class, an army that is modernizing tremendously, and a Christian culture. "I think it is a great place to start a family, as well as a great investment opportunity,"   "

Yeah, I missed the part following what Carl quoted where Jesus also says when you follow Him to seek out  a land with a modern army and great investment opportunities.....
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »

You dont need any money or knowledge of the Russian language to get a carnal distraction in Russia. You just need to walk on a street and see the females. The majority of them look like supermodels, according to Western standards, and wear miniskirts even when it snows.

Are you refering to looks or way of dressing?
Both.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »

"  Summing up George confessed that he sees Russia as a country having an emerging middle class, an army that is modernizing tremendously, and a Christian culture. "I think it is a great place to start a family, as well as a great investment opportunity,"   "

Yeah, I missed the part following what Carl quoted where Jesus also says when you follow Him to seek out  a land with a modern army and great investment opportunities.....

I think the guy has an entitlement complex a mile wide.  He needs to become gay or find someway to weasel in to one of the other protected classes in America if he wants to feed his entitlement fantasies.  I don't think he will find it in Russia.

Now, I have heard of other people who have moved to Russia for other reasons, but it's generally because there are more opportunities to be had over there for someone who is willing to take risk.  I think that many of the points he brought up - modernizing army and growing middle class - are true and show that while it may take some time Russia will be a growing, modern nation someday.  Supposing they can get their birthrate under control.  Many of the expats I have read say that business is usually their reason for going to Russia and Russian women vis-a-vis American women is their reason for staying.  If Russia were to find some way to make it easier for American Orthodox men to move over there it could help with the population decline in more ways than one.
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »

33-years-old American George Green, a former programmer has given up his career in the USA for being able to live in Russia and to practice Orthodoxy.

In interview to Interfax-Religion he told how being an adult chose his religion and subsequent reversals of his fortune...

I wonder how much time will it take for him to burn out.

Is this the same guy?  A journalist?

George Green

George Edward Green III has been a journalist since 1997, and written for several Technology, Financial, and Libertarian Publications. He lives near a large monastery in West Ukraine not far from Lvov. He authors at site: http://www.thirdrome.com/ and has many articles that are of interest. His Twitter is https://twitter.com/#!/kharaku

http://beforeitsnews.com/international/2012/05/america-the-religious-by-george-green-2170265.html
http://ua.linkedin.com/in/georgegreen

The first memory I have visiting the beautiful monastery town, in which I live, is not our monastery.  It is the group of teenagers with a two liter bottle of cheap beer being passed between them, and the puffs of smoke emanating from the group.  Old men drinking beer, and sometimes vodka, on park benches.  The most depressing for me was in a cafe seeing a father with 250 grams of vodka telling his child he couldn't afford to buy him ice cream; meanwhile his son watched dad poor poison down his throat.  Certainly stories like this are not unique to the former soviet union, but how are the territories which formed the Russian Empire to return to greatness under these circumstances? What do I suggest to resolve this?

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/17-05-2012/121152-russia_population_adoption-0/e

The picture he presents of society in this article is not very pleasant so where is his  Orthodox society?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:11:18 AM by Orest » Logged
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »

This seems to be his website: http://www.thirdrome.com/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »

This seems to be his website: http://www.thirdrome.com/

How wrong he is . . . disparaging Moscow in such a manner.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »

Now that he seems to be a libertard (unless he means an anarchist by that, but that's unlikely) my opinion of him has sunk to the abyss.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »

The real question is will it be Tibet or Afghanistan next.

Kathmandu is still full of them.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: