Author Topic: Metal and Rock Thread  (Read 68921 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Metal and Rock Thread
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
I liked no new metal this year. Goodbye, sweet music of my youth.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #272 on: January 20, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
So I want to give metal another chance. Give me your best albums to listen to. Black, death, whatever.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »
Candlemass- Nightfall
Mercyful Fate- Don’t Break the Oath
Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse
Bolt Thrower- The IVth Crusade

Pretty broad range of styles there. Let me know if you like any of it and I can point you further.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2018, 12:51:06 AM »
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Draug - Demo

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2018, 06:01:11 AM »
My sources* are telling me that the black metal movie Lords of Chaos is better than feared/expected

*sources: random comments by people I don't know which I found by following the link to the topic in the twitter trending thing

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2018, 06:41:40 AM »
savatage streets a rock opera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L46_9s6WbMg

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #277 on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
Candlemass- Nightfall

Pretty broad range of styles there. Let me know if you like any of it and I can point you further.

Thanks, I've only listened to that one so far. I like what I hear but I need to get around to blasting it thru my speakers.  ;D
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2018, 12:37:08 PM »
Candlemass- Nightfall

Thanks, I've only listened to that one so far. I like what I hear but I need to get around to blasting it thru my speakers.  ;D

Let me know what you think. This was the first black metal album I heard. I'll never forget my older brother coming home from high school with the CD. "You've got to hear this, half the band is in jail for murder." I was quite amazed by it and overwhelmed by the atmosphere, but had no reference point in my limited musical exposure to really get it. It wasn't for another few years before I really got into metal and returned to this with a new appreciation for its composition and subtleties. 
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

Offline peacenprayer

• Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #279 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:58 AM »
Baroness is one of my favorite bands. There use of harmonies and raw vocals and riffs that will blow your beard from your face is stellar. Start with thier first album and enjoy all the way to thier very latest.

The Sword. Nerd metal. Concept albums. Heavy inspiration from classic metal. Called "The Sword." 12/10 would rock again.

Mastodon (though i found there recent album laking in what was a string of amazing and individually unique sounding albums).

I like hearing a story in my music. I want a picture painted. These guys do that for me.

Also... I am a sucker for Primus. Les Claypool is king of bass.
Ran away to wear a black night gown and a funny hat. Pray for me!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #280 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
Recommendations for stuff that sounds like the more metal-y songs by Burzum but isn't just imitation/worship?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #281 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Mastodon (though i found there recent album laking in what was a string of amazing and individually unique sounding albums).

Leviathan was a very important gateway/reentry album for me, but they kind of lost me after Crack the Skye, as I've only liked a couple songs on each of the last few albums. They're playing what they want though, so good for them; and they didn't want to go on screaming for the rest of their lives, which I get.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »
Recommendations for stuff that sounds like the more metal-y songs by Burzum but isn't just imitation/worship?

I think the Drudkh album Autumn Aurora is a good (and not slavish) successor of Burzum's trancy black metal style.
- Berdyaev

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #283 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »

I think the Drudkh album Autumn Aurora is a good (and not slavish) successor of Burzum's trancy black metal style.

+1 thanks for this

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »
Rock music is some of the best lyrical poetry created in western literary history, much better than most Elizabethan lyric poetry. The fact that it's sung (which is how lyrical poetry is supposed to be performed) makes people think it isn't poetry because they're used to poetry being in a book, as taught in highschool. Rock music is much closer to Greek and Elizabethan poetry than most of what is printed in poetry magazines, and it's much better.

I can't think of any traditional lyric poetry that is superior to the Doors or Morrissey or Joy Division

Of course there's bad rock music too.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2018, 05:13:42 PM »
I can't think of any traditional lyric poetry that is superior to the Doors

:P

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »
I’m a big fan of Morrissey but I can name a gajillion old poets who are better.
- Berdyaev

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #287 on: April 29, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
Duszę Wypuścił - Z trupa na trupa, nigdy nienasycone

Great Polish black metal solo project, sounds a bit like Peste Noire (my fav), but less euphoric. It has apparently changed its name to Wędrowcy~Tułacze~Zbiegi and become very boring.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:22:02 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #288 on: April 29, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »

I can't think of any traditional lyric poetry that is superior to the Doors or Morrissey or Joy Division

Have you actually read anything besides the Doors or Morrissey or Joy Division?  If not, please do and it will help restrain you from making such foolish statements like this.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #289 on: April 29, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
Rock music is much closer to Greek and Elizabethan poetry than most of what is printed in poetry magazines, and it's much better.
This probably is more of a severe indictment of poetry magazines, than high praise of rock music.  ;)
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2018, 05:32:23 AM »
Rock music is some of the best lyrical poetry created in western literary history, much better than most Elizabethan lyric poetry. The fact that it's sung (which is how lyrical poetry is supposed to be performed) makes people think it isn't poetry because they're used to poetry being in a book, as taught in highschool. Rock music is much closer to Greek and Elizabethan poetry than most of what is printed in poetry magazines, and it's much better.

Of course there's bad rock music too.

That's a gap in your reading, there, and it's easily fixed.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #291 on: May 07, 2018, 12:54:33 AM »
I've been listening to a lot of earlier Avenged Sevenfold lately (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen era).

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #292 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »
I've been listening to a lot of earlier Avenged Sevenfold lately (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen era).

Their latest is good as well.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #293 on: May 07, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »

+1 thanks for this

You might also like Alcest's debut EP Le Secret if you haven't heard it already.
- Berdyaev

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #294 on: May 07, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »
Never really liked A7X, but they're very capricious unlike most other bands of the subgenre.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #295 on: May 07, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
Never really liked A7X,

Ditto.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #296 on: May 08, 2018, 12:53:25 AM »

Their latest is good as well.

I think a few of their songs off Hail to the King are pretty good, but to tell you the truth I really only like their metalcore.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #297 on: May 23, 2018, 09:56:08 AM »
Bathory- Blood on Ice

It's been years since I listened to this album and I forgot what a gem it is.

- Berdyaev

Offline maneki_neko

• Jurisdiction: Metropolitanate of Singapore and SEA
« Reply #298 on: May 24, 2018, 03:07:41 AM »
I'm not metal enough for metal to be on constant rotation in my life, but I love the cultural/visual mashup of groups like BABYMETAL (Japanese girl group)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvD3CHA48pA

And this Indian street metal band (Bloodywood) floating around my feed;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FqGPRQWFM
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:08:19 AM by maneki_neko »
主哀れめよ!

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #299 on: May 24, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
Babymetal is a mildly amusing gimmick for about 45 seconds. In terms of metal though, it's really more in the Limp Bizkit/ Korn vein (basically downtuned pop rock for 'roid rage meatheads) than actual metal.
- Berdyaev

Offline maneki_neko

• Jurisdiction: Metropolitanate of Singapore and SEA
« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2018, 11:18:55 AM »
Babymetal is a mildly amusing gimmick for about 45 seconds. In terms of metal though, it's really more in the Limp Bizkit/ Korn vein (basically downtuned pop rock for 'roid rage meatheads) than actual metal.

True, but I still think they're trying something different gimmick or not, and I appreciate that.
主哀れめよ!

Offline Nicodemusz138

• Faith: Self-proclaimed Christian
  • Jurisdiction: None for now
« Reply #301 on: July 01, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
Well, reading some bands recommended in here so far, this is exactly what I would imagine to read in a Metal thread on a Christian forum :D, reminds me of Steven Anderson commenting about Eagles of Death Metal, rare but great to see Bathory and KPN be mentioned in here.

I was not aware that there was a Metal thread at OC.net (except for that Babushka one of course), so I am going to be cautious when saying what I listen to loudly in here, and since I mainly listen to BM and Extreme Metal, I cannot recommend almost anything.

This is my favourite Death Metal album ever, Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos, seriously, listen to these riffs, and then we talk later, great bonus not having infantile lyrics (if I am right, this entire album is solely based on WH40k, if you know something about it the lyrics are going to sound familiar to you):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL19beIJSE0

For Thrash I could recommend Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjoVw1YmSnk

It is a shame that I have not found about this band until recently, Riot (now changed name to Riot V), Thundersteel is the only album I heard by them so far, and literally everyone says that it hands out is their best. amazing Trad/Speed Metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lxc-zIQJQE
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 02:44:28 PM by Nicodemusz138 »
As of 2018, I do not post or read here as often as I did.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. 2 Corinthians 13:14