OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 10:26:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV shows are you watching?  (Read 83355 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1800 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »

Nudity + violence + Boromir = awesome

How far are you?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1801 on: December 11, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

Done with Episode 6 (I think)... the one where ...spoilers--> the little person gets set free, Ned realises the parentage of the blonde kid, etc. <-- ...  I have the first two seasons on dvd now, which I had hoped would give me something to watch till Christmas, but I now doubt that'll happen  Grin
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1802 on: December 11, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

Don't get too attached to anyone in the show.  Just sayin'

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #1803 on: December 11, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »

Done with Episode 6 (I think)... the one where ...spoilers--> the little person gets set free, Ned realises the parentage of the blonde kid, etc. <-- ...  I have the first two seasons on dvd now, which I had hoped would give me something to watch till Christmas, but I now doubt that'll happen  Grin

Just wait for the season finale. This show knows how to surprise you.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
wainscottbl
Aspie weirdo of the forum
Archon

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #1804 on: December 11, 2014, 09:42:57 PM »

The Practice

The Borgias

Ally McBeal which I am not sure I like. It is very funny, but the storyline is a bit feminine. Not saying that in a sexist way. I'm a huge romantic, but it's more like a unbearable chick flick. I like some chick flicks, but others are penance. Steele Magnolias is my cup of tea. But I think I will watch it off and on, because it takes place in the same virtual universe as The Practice and Boston Legal

Finished The West Wing Those last episodes, with the death of Leo, and then the end of the presidency, were tearjerkers. I hated to see the show end, and I think it was even harder for those who saw in end in real time. It's one of those classic shows.

"To love someone means to see him as God intended him."
                                                                   --Fyodor Dostoevsky
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #1805 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »

Do you like The Borgias? I've wondered if that is any good.

wainscottbl
Archon

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #1806 on: December 12, 2014, 02:02:22 AM »

Do you like The Borgias? I've wondered if that is any good.

Yeah, it has a lot of eye candy. Maybe that is the wrong word. Lucretia is gorgeous, but I mean all the beautiful music and liturgy. It is rather violent and has sexual content. But its entertaining. I'd like to read an accurate account of the Borgia papacy and Cesar Borgia. I know they follow the historical events well enough, but you know they take liberty.

--Fyodor Dostoevsky
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1807 on: December 12, 2014, 04:25:46 AM »

The Practice

The Borgias

Ally McBeal which I am not sure I like. It is very funny, but the storyline is a bit feminine. Not saying that in a sexist way. I'm a huge romantic, but it's more like a unbearable chick flick. I like some chick flicks, but others are penance. Steele Magnolias is my cup of tea. But I think I will watch it off and on, because it takes place in the same virtual universe as The Practice and Boston Legal

Finished The West Wing Those last episodes, with the death of Leo, and then the end of the presidency, were tearjerkers. I hated to see the show end, and I think it was even harder for those who saw in end in real time. It's one of those classic shows.

The Practice and The West Wing are pure propaganda. But I confess that The Practice was at least entertaining to watch for the first couple of seasons. Some ridiculous plot lines, but the acting held it together and they at least attempted to somewhat disguise the political agenda. But The West Wing was just awful. As bad as Law and Order. Both shows had terrible writing, subpar acting, and they just beat you over the head with the political agenda. And I love Martin Sheen. I really do. But The West Wing was some of the worst stuff he's ever done.

OK, that's my judgmental opinion, FWIW.  Wink

Selam
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:27:13 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
wainscottbl
Archon

« Reply #1808 on: December 12, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »

The Practice

The Borgias

The Practice and The West Wing are pure propaganda. But I confess that The Practice was at least entertaining to watch for the first couple of seasons. Some ridiculous plot lines, but the acting held it together and they at least attempted to somewhat disguise the political agenda. But The West Wing was just awful. As bad as Law and Order. Both shows had terrible writing, subpar acting, and they just beat you over the head with the political agenda. And I love Martin Sheen. I really do. But The West Wing was some of the worst stuff he's ever done.

OK, that's my judgmental opinion, FWIW.  Wink

Selam

If anyone should say that The Practice is not a good show, or that The West Wing is not a good show, let him be anathema.

Other than the liberal agenda of any Hollywood show, that in particular did you not like? And I agree The Practice can be melodramatic in the same way Law and Order can. The best Law and Order BTW is Criminal Intent because of Bobby, played by Vincent D'Onfrio. "Law and Order: SVU" is way too melodramatic to me. The writing on the Law and Order series are horrible, especially the original, but it is such a classic that it somehow becomes rather charming. Special Victims Unit, however, has better writing, but the exaggerated stuff, well, speaks for it self.

But as for The West Wing, I rather like it. I thought it was so good because the characters were so relateable. You felt like you knew the, and you grew to love them. And Bartlet, as you say, played by Martin Sheen was great. But I loved how Josh and Donna played of the chemistry for so long and so subtly. I thought the acting there was great. Toby also played his part well as the self-righteous, depressed guy. And of course Leo was great. On the whole I loved it. Not sure how it was anymore political propaganda than any other show though. I've really got to disagree with you there. I know The Practice has some preachy storylines, but it's likable. I loved the show.

Boston Legal was more fun though. I love James Spader. I've been watching "The Blacklist". The plot is a bit far fetched, everything falls together too easily each time, but the suspense is good, and I like how they play on the Hannibal Lecter-Clarice Starling relationship. In the beginning when Agent Keen comes in to see the imprisoned Reddington, Reddington is sitting in a glass box and Agent Keen, much like Starling in Silence of the Lambs sits down and introduces herself. It is all intentional of course. In the Lecter case he falls in love with Clarice, but I think Reddington is the father here. I do get annoyed at the moral justification of going against the rules of common law in a Machiavellian way to catch the bad guy. Using torture, or "enhanced interrogation", unlawful imprisonment without trial, and unlawful search and seizure among other things is propaganda. But it's entertaining.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:07:15 PM by wainscottbl » Logged

--Fyodor Dostoevsky
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1809 on: December 13, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »

I can't believe they...   he....   but...   I thought surely the daughter would... .. . ..  maybe an assassin would interrupt... . .  wait! NO! DONT DO IT!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO! YOU CANT!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGHGHHGHGHGHGHHGHGH
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #1810 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »

I can't believe they...   he....   but...   I thought surely the daughter would... .. . ..  maybe an assassin would interrupt... . .  wait! NO! DONT DO IT!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO! YOU CANT!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGHGHHGHGHGHGHHGHGH
Yeah. That was my reaction too.  Cry

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1811 on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:23 PM »

Since I don't have Netflix now I needed something to play in the background when I'm doing this and that, so I've been rewatching all the NewsRadio episodes.

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #1812 on: December 17, 2014, 12:17:28 PM »

Since I don't have Netflix now I needed something to play in the background when I'm doing this and that, so I've been rewatching all the NewsRadio episodes.

Hey, Survivor is online on youtube

I <3 Survivor, but i DESPISE this season. thankfully, itll be done tonight
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #1813 on: December 17, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »

Ok, I'm finally getting around to watching the Walking Dead and I have some stupid questions. I'm only a few episodes in, but there are sandbags, military installations and tanks strewn about.  If these zombies just kind of shamble about until they smell living people and then go charging at them and gnaw on them, how could the military not stop that? You just keep shooting their heads off while they are off in the distance. You don't open up the tank hatch, and you use flamethrowers to burn them. They can't reproduce other than infecting people or having dead people become zombified and they are easy to kill. How have they completely overrun things in a few short months?

Do these questions get answered further in?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:33:05 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1814 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »

"Broadchurch"
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1815 on: December 17, 2014, 09:18:13 PM »

Ok, I'm finally getting around to watching the Walking Dead and I have some stupid questions. I'm only a few episodes in, but there are sandbags, military installations and tanks strewn about.  If these zombies just kind of shamble about until they smell living people and then go charging at them and gnaw on them, how could the military not stop that? You just keep shooting their heads off while they are off in the distance. You don't open up the tank hatch, and you use flamethrowers to burn them. They can't reproduce other than infecting people or having dead people become zombified and they are easy to kill. How have they completely overrun things in a few short months?

Do these questions get answered further in?

Kind of, though not necessarily in a way that is fully satisfying, depending on what you want/expect. Something in particular is revealed within the next half dozen or so episodes (I'm leaving that vague so as not to spoil it) that plays into the collapse of society, though it doesn't deal with your question about a rapid fall in particular. One way they have tried to explain it is ... [hidden minor spoilers]--> by giving examples of fortified places getting overrun, including an army base, with the idea being that once the ball gets rolling, things often veer out of control... for example, an infected person is afraid to say they got bit, so they go back inside the safe place, only to turn into a walker and start spreading it, and before people realise what is going on, there are two dozen zombies coming down the hall at you and a buddy or two and they overwhelm you. Really, I think your willingness to go along with this is probably dependent on how much you buy into the main and pessimistic premises of the show, especially: 1) that humans are selfish and can be irrationally driven by fear and be willing to do dangerous things and risk the lives of many others, and 2) that when faced with something like this situation ,most people panic, make fatal mistakes, don't think things out (so that people are the bigger danger than the zombies, in more ways than one.) <-- Taken as realistic (lulz real zombies?) it's hard to swallow, but taken as a bit of absurdist fiction (as much horror/fantasy/sci-fi is) I think it's not too difficult to accept. It's not for me, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:21:20 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #1816 on: December 17, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »

Interesting. The show is kind of growing on me. I just watched the first episode of season two. I had to laugh when they walked into a Southern Baptist church and there was a crucifix up front. Looked like someone was not too familiar with Baptist iconoclastic tendencies. lol

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

« Reply #1817 on: December 18, 2014, 12:36:29 AM »

Now that the semester has ended, i need something to entertain me throughout the winter

ideas?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1818 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:08 AM »

"Murder Investigation Team"
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1819 on: December 18, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »

What happened to "Whale Wars" on the Animal Planet Channel ?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1820 on: December 18, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »

Survivor finale was last night...

Good season.. The right person won.. Well played

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #1821 on: December 18, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »

Now that the semester has ended, i need something to entertain me throughout the winter

ideas?

I don't know a thing about your tastes, but if you have Netflix, "The Killing" and "Breaking Bad" series are both pretty brilliant and entertaining, from start to finish (imo).

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

« Reply #1822 on: December 18, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »

I agree with the right person, after Josh and Jeremy got out, but overall this season was a letdown, and quite possibly the worst in my opinion.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #1823 on: December 18, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »

Don't get too attached to anyone in the show.  Just sayin'

I can't believe they...   he....   but...   I thought surely the daughter would... .. . ..  maybe an assassin would interrupt... . .  wait! NO! DONT DO IT!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO! YOU CANT!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGHGHHGHGHGHGHHGHGH
Yeah. That was my reaction too.  Cry

Oops. Wrong show. But it basically applies to GoT, too.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:20:25 AM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1824 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

I agree with the right person, after Josh and Jeremy got out, but overall this season was a letdown, and quite possibly the worst in my opinion.

I liked it.. It had several  blindsides, good juicy ones. Natalie really knew how to play the game and she did it without hateful aggressiveness. It even had a scorching speech from the jury at the end the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time. Ouch !

Plenty to look at too. John Rocker and Jon are a lucky men.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: