Author Topic: Robert Alter  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Robert Alter
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »
Christ is risen!

Has anyone here read the various OT translations of Robert Alter?  I'm thinking specifically of his translation of the Psalms, but also more generally.  If so, what do you think? 
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Robert Alter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »
Truly he is risen.

I guess I'll just jump in and say he's my favorite translator of Hebrew scriptures. Yes, he's a secular-style scholar and as such too much of his commentary is in keeping with modern criticism, but the more you read of him the more I think you'll discern that he's powerfully and sincerely motivated to be as accurate and true as one human scholar can be in spite of the secularist milieu he's bound in. He's brought credibility back to so-called word-for-word translation, showing how even aesthetically and literarily it can be far superior to the popular looser techniques. In addition, by his critical theory he has done much to force secularists to respect Hebrew scriptures as honest and coherent works.

He's also not afraid to consult the Septuagint.

Now, the Psalms, as being paticularly devotional for the believer, could pose a problem. I have read his version (crossing out a lot of the commentary with a pen; but that's just me), and even chanted it sometimes, but I do tend to use other versions for devotions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:09:25 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
I'm going to start reading the Robert Alter translation. However, I can't bring myself to splurge on the complete three volume set, so I think I'll start with the wisdom books.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Online WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 01:22:56 PM »
I don't have the Eastern Orthodox version of the Old Testament.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 12:53:37 PM »
I just finished his Book of Job. I'm in no position to judge his accuracy toward the Hebrew (I assume it's great as that's what various experts seem to say) but as English literature his work is really excellent and reads much more powerfully than other modern translations I've encountered. He appears to be as fluent in English poetics as he is in Hebrew poetics and shows great respect toward the language and its literary tradition. His commentary is not devotionally oriented but is nonetheless a great pleasure to read and gives a good sense of the difficulties in the received text (he points out places- quite a few- where guesswork is involved or the text is garbled, occasionally using readings from the Septuagint where they make more sense). He also gives just enough background material (relevant regional mythology, history, etc) which helps with some of the more puzzling passages. I'm excited to move on to Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »
He also gives just enough background material (relevant regional mythology, history, etc) which helps with some of the more puzzling passages.

My interest is definitely piqued.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »
He also gives just enough background material (relevant regional mythology, history, etc) which helps with some of the more puzzling passages.

Just to be clear, he doesn't give a broad overview, just some quick but helpful notes, like "This phrase probably refers to X mythological creature/ god".

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »

Just to be clear, he doesn't give a broad overview, just some quick but helpful notes, like "This phrase probably refers to X mythological creature/ god".

That's good enough for me. Not to brag, but I carry a device that has access to a significant portion of the world's knowledge in my pocket. I just need something to point me in the right direction since so many commentaries completely miss those details.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:49:29 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »

That's good enough for me. Not to brag, but I carry a device that has access to a significant portion of the world's knowledge in my pocket. I just need something to point me in the right direction since so many commentaries completely miss those details.

Dude, do you want to get robbed?  Because that's how you get robbed.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Brilko

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »

Dude, do you want to get robbed?  Because that's how you get robbed.

An excellent pun.