Author Topic: Academic Resources: A PSA  (Read 272 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Academic Resources: A PSA
« on: July 07, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Academic Resources: A PSA
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »
Good to know.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
I've received a long essay on the Urum language (a heavily Greek-influenced Crimean Tatar dialect) asking the author by e-mail, but I didn't know this worked this way. Very good to know.

One might also put the DOI number of the article in Sci-Hub, but this is probably piracy. There are Deep Web channels with the same function (almost definitely piracy), but I don't trust downloads there.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 05:15:31 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 06:13:12 PM »
A lot of people reflexively shy away from contacting a paper's author directly, believing that academics are busy people who don't bother to check emails. My experience is that all writers - academic, creative, anything in between - treat communications from readers like fan mail and will go out of their way to satisfy requests. (I once contacted the editor of a semi-official cultural publication to request permission to repost one of their articles on my blog. They not only granted permission, they sent me a revised and expanded copy of the text.)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 09:52:31 PM »

Apparently for academia "getting published" is supposed to be reward enough.

I'm glad Holly disagrees.