OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 03:33:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exodus: Gods and Kings -- PluggedIn Review by Paul Assay  (Read 487 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: December 12, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »

Is the God Scott gives us "the God of compassion and mercy"? Rarely. "Slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness"? Hardly. And we haven't even begun to talk about the plot-point deviations Scott's Exodus takes when compared to the original text. Moses? Well, he's far more tortured terrorist than booming Charlton Heston here. Actor Christian Bale said of his character, "I think the man was likely schizophrenic and was one of the most barbaric individuals that I ever read about in my life. … He was a very troubled, tumultuous man and mercurial. But the biggest surprise was the nature of God. He was equally very mercurial."

Not everything takes the first exit ramp off the scriptural account, though. And the resulting combination of fact and artistic license can create some pretty robust conversations about what the Bible really does say about Moses and his mission of liberation. It's an optimistic view that's bolstered by us seeing that the shed blood of the Passover lamb—a foreshadowing of Christ's awesome work on the cross so many centuries later—still protects the Israelites in this tale. And Moses does indeed begin his own personal transformation when he's called, and he does indeed fulfill God's directive on his life, whether he really wants to or not.

http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheaters/exodus-gods-and-kings.aspx

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »

Ouch, over in NYC, where Hollywood no doubt assumes a large audience of Christians and Jews eagerly await this spectacle, comes this from the New York Daily News, " “Exodus” strives for realism amid its Biblical lore, which strips the tale of poetry and power. “Noah” at least had scale and showmanship, which this movie, like Scott’s “Robin Hood,” is missing." http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/exodus-gods-kings-earns-star-article-1.2040665

So..."Noah" was better than this? "Exodus" shares the boring label with Scott's "Robin Hood"? (If you recall Russel Crowe's Robin made Kevin Costner seem like Olivier by comparison and Costner's movie at least didn't take itself all that seriously. I mean Costner at least cast Morgan Freeman in a large role and talked Sean Connery into a witty cameo.)

Perhaps Ridley Scott and Kirk Cameron could concoct something for next Christmas while crying over their beer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:02:47 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »

Some of the other more inflammatory reviews of the movie that seems to be causing boycotts is some sort of racial divide within the movie as well.  I'm not sure if that is a fair assessment, but it has people talking more than simply sharing the seemingly obvious skeptic's point of view within the film.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:16:41 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »

Some of the other more inflammatory reviews of the movie that seems to be causing boycotts is some sort of racial divide within the movie as well.  I'm not sure if that is a fair assessment, but it has people talking more than simply sharing the seemingly obvious skeptic's point of view within the film.

The old debate about whether the ancient Egyptians were of a sub-Saharan ancestry or precursors to today's nomadic north Africans is at the heart of the racial controversy. To me that argument is boring and irrelevant to the worthiness or lack thereof of the film.
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
Elder

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »

Q.  What am I called?

I always go to the movies for my theology; always, always, always. And never go to church, read, sing, study Scripture.....no, just movies. I also read The Bible and newspaper simultaneously, especially Revelation.

A.  Evangelical

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »

I haven't read a single positive review of this movie yet, and most of the reviews were not by religious people. Yet somehow, the movie got the number 1 spot.

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »

I haven't read a single positive review of this movie yet, and most of the reviews were not by religious people. Yet somehow, the movie got the number 1 spot.

I get weary. I use to be joyful in thinking/hoping that some would go and look into The Book and study and come to The Realization.....but now I get tired. Is it "bad" that such would be made into a movie?

God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:48:47 AM »

I get weary. I use to be joyful in thinking/hoping that some would go and look into The Book and study and come to The Realization.....but now I get tired. Is it "bad" that such would be made into a movie?
I know many Christian express hope that these Bible based movies will inspire some to study Scripture, but I've never heard of anyone actually been affected or inspired by movies to do such a thing. Even with movies that I find exceptionally moving or inspirational, I can't say that I have ever changed my outlook in life as a result of them. They make me think for maybe an hour or so, but by the time I am home from the theater, I'm off doing other things and the movie is out of my mind.  I just don't think the medium is useful for inspiring any lasting change in people.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »

A reviewer around here gave it 2 out of 4 stars.  That is kind of a "blah" rating.
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »

I haven't seen it, but I think it can be good to show the "mercurial" actions of God in the OT. Nina "Sita Sings the Blues" Paley's upcoming animated movie, Seder Masochism is going to be even more negative (and anti-Zionist). It gets people talking and serves as a good counterpoint to the God of Joel Osteen which it seems like even many Orthodox (and non-Orthodox like myself) tend to hold to in practice if not in theory.

God has done some things that are incredibly difficult to accept and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. Maybe Moses was schizophrenic. It doesn't necessarily change the fact that he was a mighty man of God. I think using highly broken vessels gives God even more glory.

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »

I haven't seen it, but I think it can be good to show the "mercurial" actions of God in the OT. Nina "Sita Sings the Blues" Paley's upcoming animated movie, Seder Masochism is going to be even more negative (and anti-Zionist). It gets people talking and serves as a good counterpoint to the God of Joel Osteen which it seems like even many Orthodox (and non-Orthodox like myself) tend to hold to in practice if not in theory.

God has done some things that are incredibly difficult to accept and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. Maybe Moses was schizophrenic. It doesn't necessarily change the fact that he was a mighty man of God. I think using highly broken vessels gives God even more glory.
Can you elaborate on that? How exactly do the Orthodox hold to the "God of Joel Osteen"?

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »

Can you elaborate on that? How exactly do the Orthodox hold to the "God of Joel Osteen"?
By their apparent embarrassment and rush to explain away the "dark passages" of Scripture. It's not just an Orthodox thing, I do it too. Sometimes one needs to bake in the offensiveness for a while, let it teach them humility before God, and not just shout back with the official answer.

God kills babies.

Say it with me- God. Kills. Babies.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »

I'm not saying these things don't have answers, but letting them teach us humility and make us uncomfortable is vital. God's ways are not our ways.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »

Maybe... but "baking in the offensiveness" sounds more like Westboro Baptist than anything else.

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »

Maybe... but "baking in the offensiveness" sounds more like Westboro Baptist than anything else.
More like the Prophet Habakkuk.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »

Yeah, I don't think that is what was meant by that exercise.

LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »

I know many Christian express hope that these Bible based movies will inspire some to study Scripture, but I've never heard of anyone actually been affected or inspired by movies to do such a thing. Even with movies that I find exceptionally moving or inspirational, I can't say that I have ever changed my outlook in life as a result of them. They make me think for maybe an hour or so, but by the time I am home from the theater, I'm off doing other things and the movie is out of my mind.  I just don't think the medium is useful for inspiring any lasting change in people.

Wellllll.....I like what you write, but could such a movie be considered one brick in a house?
I've was moved by The 10 Commandments as a child, as well as other movies....and here I am today.....a hypocrite and all!
But you are right....like some foods, an hour later and I am hungry again (or is it gluttonous?)

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »

You think Habakkuk was faking his distress?

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »

I don't think Habakkuk was baking poop as an example that God is offensive.

Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Holy Russia vs. Soup

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 01:30:41 PM »

I don't think Habakkuk was baking poop as an example that God is offensive.
No, but Ezekiel was  Grin

I don't understand what you mean, though. I brought up baking because it's painful to think about these things, not to connect it to Fred Phelps' toilet obsession.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »

Q.  What am I called?

I always go to the movies for my theology; always, always, always. And never go to church, read, sing, study Scripture.....no, just movies. I also read The Bible and newspaper simultaneously, especially Revelation.

A.  Evangelical

I think that's slightly unfair.  Evangelicals are quite vocally not fond of this movie.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »

PluggedIn? Really?  Huh

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »

PluggedIn? Really?  Huh

Why? What's wrong with PluggedIn?

LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined
Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

Q.  What am I called?

A.  Evangelical

I think that's slightly unfair.  Evangelicals are quite vocally not fond of this movie.

It is grossly unfair HOWSOEVER, many I knew would do such things and/or had that mentality. Yes, they go to church,
oh, I don't even want to think about such things anymore.
Please, use a grain of salt in reading my posts as they are shallow and non-pithy.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: