OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:51:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous fantasy/sci-fi  (Read 1507 times) Average Rating: 0
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:13 PM »

Does anyone else here dig Milton?

As a classic work, yes.  But as fantasy/sci-fi? 

It does almost seem fiction has to be bad to be classed fantasy or sci-fi.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 01:10:24 PM »

Every edition of D&D (except for 4th). Forgotten Realms for the win.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »

Use of the imagination in fictional writing stimulates logismoi.
Theological fantasy or theological science fiction, produced by excellent writers such as James Blish or C.S. Lewis, generates far less logismoi.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: I agree with the Church
Jurisdiction: Huh

St. Leo III, Defender of Orthodoxy

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »

what, no Arthur C. Clarke yet?   Tongue

2001: A Space Odyssey is a classic. Supposedly the movie is also a classic though the whole last 3rd really makes no sense the way Stanley Kubrick did it, and somehow the scene got moved from Saturn to Jupiter  Huh

2010 book and movie were fair. Thanks to the success of the movie the rest of the book series involves Jupiter as well.

2061 I actually really liked the book, and 3001 was bleh from what I remember.

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »

what, no Arthur C. Clarke yet?   Tongue

2001: A Space Odyssey is a classic. Supposedly the movie is also a classic though the whole last 3rd really makes no sense the way Stanley Kubrick did it, and somehow the scene got moved from Saturn to Jupiter  Huh

2010 book and movie were fair. Thanks to the success of the movie the rest of the book series involves Jupiter as well.

2061 I actually really liked the book, and 3001 was bleh from what I remember.

He was one of the best.

I still haven't read the last two books, but I've read most of his others. What a wonderful imagination.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »

Perhaps by some persons who don't actually read those genres or who have only read some of the bad examples, which do exist.  Such as The Eye of Argon a tale that has much renown in SF fandom and has been the subject of public readings.  Granted it was written by a 16 year old boy but it is a marvel. Here is the beginning:

" The weather beaten trail wound ahead into the dust racked climes of the baren land which dominates large portions of the Norgolian empire. Age worn hoof prints smothered by the sifting sands of time shone dully against the dust splattered crust of earth. The tireless sun cast its parching rays of incandescense from overhead, half way through its daily revolution. Small rodents scampered about, occupying themselves in the daily accomplishments of their dismal lives. Dust sprayed over three heaving mounts in blinding clouds, while they bore the burdonsome cargoes of their struggling overseers.

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier. "
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/eyeargon/eyeargon.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_Argon

But there are many works in the two genres that are well-written, well-plotted and consider some serious matters such as Gengineering (genetic engineering), ethics, different kinds of societies and more.  Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series looks at, in part, how a person with physical disabilities who lives in a society with a historic fear of mutations does things in different ways in order to survive and succeed.

For Arthur C. Clarke how about Childhood's End and Rendezvous with Rama?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »

As far as very well written (or, some might say, over-written) genre fantasy goes, I am a huge fan of Clark Ashton Smith's utterly decadent short stories. A fine example:

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/108/the-isle-of-the-torturers

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »

I still haven't seen "Edge of Tomorrow." It looked pretty good from the commercials. Smiley

I've seen that, it's pretty good. Bones goes back in time, and Kirk and Spock have to prevent him from changing history.

Trek Geek- That's "The City on the Edge of Forever"  Season 1 of the Original Series, episode 28. /geek

Wink

Where have you been? I almost forgot that I had made that little quip. (But you're quite correct.)

Cool

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »

I still haven't seen "Edge of Tomorrow." It looked pretty good from the commercials. Smiley

I've seen that, it's pretty good. Bones goes back in time, and Kirk and Spock have to prevent him from changing history.

Trek Geek- That's "The City on the Edge of Forever"  Season 1 of the Original Series, episode 28. /geek

Wink

Where have you been? I almost forgot that I had made that little quip. (But you're quite correct.)

Cool

Well, you know how things can happen and get in the way of posting....

Life, the Universe and Everything...

Smiley
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:31:18 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »

You know they visit the Guardian again in TAS.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »

C'mon man!  At least type **spoiler alert** before dropping a bomb like that!

Tongue

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »

But are you old enough to have seen TAS when it was first aired?  I am and I did.   Grin

Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »

I submitted a science fiction/dark fantasy story for publication.  If it doesn't go through, I'll submit somewhere else.  I'm writing two more stories at the moment.

As far as very well written (or, some might say, over-written) genre fantasy goes, I am a huge fan of Clark Ashton Smith's utterly decadent short stories. A fine example:

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/108/the-isle-of-the-torturers

This looks quite good.  Thanks for posting.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »

But are you old enough to have seen TAS when it was first aired?  I am and I did.   Grin

Hmm, I think we all know what you're really wondering: when audiences first saw Star Wars (1977), did anyone say anything about Escape to Witch Mountain (1975)?

Bernardoastur7

Faith: RC going to Orthodox
Jurisdiction: None yet

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 10:45:39 PM »

No Isaac Asimov anyone?Huh?? Huh Huh Foundation? I am Robot? (the real deal of course)

Someone mentioned at the beginning of the thread Dragonlance, the three originals plus Second Wave plus the Raistlin Trilogy, those are quite good.

And of course Game of Thrones, but the books!!!  I find some scenes of the TV Series too dirty (you know what Im talking about)

Although is not science fiction strictly speaking, has anyone read Ted Dekker? I find it quite interesting and some of his books even soul lifting IMHO.

And for Supernatural, I also turn a blind eye to the way they treat Judeo Christian principles... but hey, you gotta love Crowley! and the Soundtrack!!!!!
Rhinosaur
Homo Vivius

Faith: Roman Catholic (Orthodox Inquirer)

« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »

No Isaac Asimov anyone?Huh?? Huh Huh Foundation? I am Robot? (the real deal of course)

I love Asimov.  Forward the Foundation is one my favorite books.  I do actually like the I, Robot film but it of course couldn't compare to the book.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: