Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 600 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Wonder Woman
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »
In an introductory scene, when Hyppolita is explaining to Diana the purpose of the Amazons for maintaining peace on earth, a musical phrase is repeated; it's from the Byzantine Divine Liturgy: eirene pasi.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
Re: Wonder Woman
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
In an introductory scene, when Hyppolita is explaining to Diana the purpose of the Amazons for maintaining peace on earth, a musical phrase is repeated; it's from the Byzantine Divine Liturgy: eirene pasi.
Very cool! Really like the movie, btw.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
Yes it was great.

As someone with daughters, I found it quite moving.

The moviemakers did decide to turn her from Diana into Venus about half-way thru, and that even propels the climax ("Love will save the world"), but, hey, it's Hollywood.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:17:38 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 02:23:17 PM »
I wondered at the polytheism in the movie.

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »

I don't know if DC's Greek gods are actual gods or just extremely powerful beings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »

I don't know if DC's Greek gods are actual gods or just extremely powerful beings.

They are gods of the atheist or agnostic imagination.

Offline youssef

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
You should boycott the movie.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »

If there were profits going to the Israeli government you might have a point. We don't punish individuals; that's prejudice.

Offline youssef

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »

If there were profits going to the Israeli government you might have a point. We don't punish individuals; that's prejudice.

She served for two years in the israel deffence forces, when their was a war against Lebanon, always in 2015 she supported the war in Gaza.
It is not always a money profit, it is a cultural image of a country, because of that israel promote her.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »

She served for two years in the israel deffence forces, when their was a war against Lebanon, always in 2015 she supported the war in Gaza

All that means is she's an Israeli.

It is not always a money profit, it is a cultural image of a country, because of that israel promote her.

So you're afraid people will think Israeli women are superheroes?

Offline youssef

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »

She served for two years in the israel deffence forces, when their was a war against Lebanon, always in 2015 she supported the war in Gaza

All that means is she's an Israeli.

So you're afraid people will think Israeli women are superheroes?

You can be from israel and don't support the israel politics.when she participate in the war in 2006 she may killed innocent people, the majority of people who died was innocent.

It is not an image of superheroes, it is an image that israel try to promote her country, that she is a peaceful country who like beauty and cultural event. Not like the one against her.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
I'm not defending Israeli wars. Everyone in Israel serves in the military as a young person. There's no good reason to try to punish one young woman for it.

Offline youssef

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
I'm not defending Israeli wars. Everyone in Israel serves in the military as a young person. There's no good reason to try to punish one young woman for it.

For us it is an anti normalisation. So you will participate in a concert for a band that support a racist group just because they play good music.

Hollywoood didn't tolarate political statement from gibson, but she hasn't any problem when gadot support the war against Gaza.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 05:29:55 PM »

For us it is an anti normalisation. So you will participate in a concert for a band that support a racist group just because they play good music.

Hollywoood didn't tolarate political statement from gibson, but she hasn't any problem when gadot support the war against Gaza.

You should choose your battles wisely. Picking on a single young person from some country you don't like isn't going to be effective. But good luck.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
I did not know she was Israeli until after I saw the film. :police: :-X

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
I couldn't go see it in the cinema, but I'll get the DVD as soon as it comes out. Until then, what gives me a big Cheshire Cat grin is seeing another princess from my childhood grow up to become a general. ;D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »
I couldn't go see it in the cinema, but I'll get the DVD as soon as it comes out. Until then, what gives me a big Cheshire Cat grin is seeing another princess from my childhood grow up to become a general. ;D

Surely it's still in theaters?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:51:05 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »

Surely it's still in theaters?

Yes, but I still can't go for the foreseeable future. It's okay - the DVD will cost just a little over the price of a single ticket and will last a lot more than a single viewing. :)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline youssef

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »

You should choose your battles wisely. Picking on a single young person from some country you don't like isn't going to be effective. But good luck.

It is not just a country that i don't like, it is a country that i think till now her existent is not normal. That is the difference between our point of view.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »

It is not just a country that i don't like, it is a country that i think till now her existent is not normal. That is the difference between our point of view.

Nope that's not our difference. I agree and understand that the creation of Israel was abnormal and has caused much harm. I just don't agree that picking on some individual citizen will solve anything. That's just mean.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 03:34:23 PM »

I enjoyed the movie...in the theater.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Sharbel

• Faith: Maronite Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
Never liked super heroes and this stream of infantile movies about them boggles my mind.  :o
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ!