OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 06:45:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is your favorite English translation of the Book of Psalms (+ Odes)?
Psalter According to the Seventy (aka Boston Psalter, HTM Psalter) - 3 (25%)
Arcm. Lazarus Moore Psalter - 1 (8.3%)
Michael Asser Psalter (2005 & 2009) - 0 (0%)
KJV - 1 (8.3%)
NKJV - 0 (0%)
Douay-Rheims/Challoner - 0 (0%)
original Coverdale Psalter - 1 (8.3%)
RSV (incl RSV-CE, RSV-2CE) - 0 (0%)
NRSV - 0 (0%)
Contos/De Vinck Psalter (in Byzantine Daily Worship) - 0 (0%)
A Psalter for Prayer (Jordanville/David James-Coverdale Psalter, 2009) - 2 (16.7%)
Orthodox Study Bible (1993 & 2008) - 1 (8.3%)
Grail Psalms (1963) - 0 (0%)
Revised Grail Psalms (2008 & 2010) - 1 (8.3%)
NETS (2000) - 0 (0%)
other! - 2 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite English Psalter?  (Read 616 times) Average Rating: 0
Inquirer
Antihyperaphthartodocetist
Elder

Faith: filthy Uniate Papolatrist
Jurisdiction: Ruthenian

« on: November 12, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

Can be for either personal prayer or for what you like to hear in the liturgy.

Information on most of them can be read here: http://www.synaxis.info/psalter/5_english/5_english.html

"[The Sacred Congregation of Rites'] decisions are made by a crowd of dirty little Monsignori at Rome in utter ignorance of the meaning or reason of anything. To the historian their decisions are simply disgusting nonsense, that people of my kind want simply to ignore." -- Fr. Adrian Fortescue
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »

This was hard for me to answer.  I use the HTM translation about equally with the St. Dunstan Plainsong Psalter, which I believe is the Coverdale version of the psalms.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »

I use the Blue One, which I think is the According to the 70 one.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 02:44:27 PM »

I use the Blue One, which I think is the According to the 70 one.

It is the HTM version, Psalter According to the Seventy.

Inquirer
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »

This was hard for me to answer.  I use the HTM translation about equally with the St. Dunstan Plainsong Psalter, which I believe is the Coverdale version of the psalms.

If you're talking about the Lancelot Andrewes Press version, then yes.

"[The Sacred Congregation of Rites'] decisions are made by a crowd of dirty little Monsignori at Rome in utter ignorance of the meaning or reason of anything. To the historian their decisions are simply disgusting nonsense, that people of my kind want simply to ignore." -- Fr. Adrian Fortescue
Philoumenos_W

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 03:05:28 AM »

I own the Psalter from HTM, but I also have a copy of the Kathisma Psalter published by Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery in Otego, NY.  I like this version better than the one from HTM because the wording isn't as poetic and as stiff as some of the HTM's phraseology.
Inquirer
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »

I own the Psalter from HTM, but I also have a copy of the Kathisma Psalter published by Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery in Otego, NY.  I like this version better than the one from HTM because the wording isn't as poetic and as stiff as some of the HTM's phraseology.

Is there a hardcover edition of that?

Philoumenos_W

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »

Is there a hardcover edition of that?

As far as I know, it only comes in a spiral bound cover - which actually makes it very easy to use.  Longevity is a question because it is basically a paperback.  To fix this problem I've thought about ordering another copy - I think they are $15 - and taking it to Office Depot and having it custom bound.

At the moment though, mine is still in great shape.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

I had a copy of the nice green Psalter, but I for the life of me can't find it.  Sad Maybe Santa will bring me a new one.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
methodius
Elder

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »

You just can't beat the Canadian Book of Common Prayer [traditional] - I suspect the traditional Episcopal Church - USA is the same - both from the Rev. KJV.
(I used it for years as a layman then a seminarian so perhaps my preference is based on familiarity.)

kyrie eleison
Inquirer
Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 10:24:37 AM »

You just can't beat the Canadian Book of Common Prayer [traditional] - I suspect the traditional Episcopal Church - USA is the same - both from the Rev. KJV.
(I used it for years as a layman then a seminarian so perhaps my preference is based on familiarity.)

Is that just the Coverdale Psalter with modern English?

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »

Is that just the Coverdale Psalter with modern English?

Mine is certainly not in modern English, which is why I prefer this version of the psalms.

gueranger
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »

This past Friday I received a copy of A Psalter for Prayer and I love it!  It is easy to read, chant, and follow. I've begun trying to make the Psalms the bedrock of my prayer life.

I'm not a morning person, so getting up early for Orthros has been difficult, but I can't wait to pray Vespers each night! It's really a pleasure to use this beautiful book. I can't recommend it highly enough.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:02:52 PM by gueranger » Logged

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
Inquirer
Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »

I'd like to read it, but I'm waiting for a cheaper/pocket version. I have read on other forums from David James himself that Jordanville is considering making one because APfP was so popular.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »

I'd like to read it, but I'm waiting for a cheaper/pocket version. I have read on other forums from David James himself that Jordanville is considering making one because APfP was so popular.

I hope they do more than just consider it.   Smiley

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

This past Friday I received a copy of A Psalter for Prayer and I love it!  It is easy to read, chant, and follow. I've begun trying to make the Psalms the bedrock of my prayer life.

I found just the opposite.  After using the Coverdale for 30 years and the HTM for 20, I found the PfP hard to read.  Perhaps if it was one's first psaltar, it would be somewhat easier.

Tags: Psalter  Psalms  Translation  English 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: