Author Topic: Music: Pleasurable Frequencies, Notes, etc.  (Read 241 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
Music: Pleasurable Frequencies, Notes, etc.
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
I don't know if you get that tingly/odd/transcedent feeling from hearing certain sounds (and more specifically for the purposes of this thread: from music). I do, somewhat rarely, though increasingly more and more. If you're wondering what the heck I am talking about, I imagine some musicians who contort their face feel the same thing, not being merely "into it," but feeling something much rarer and more enjoyable.

Anyway, so I've noticed over the last few months, as I've watched Youtube guitar covers of songs, that maybe one particular player will hit a note that sets me off (great feels) that doesn't happen with anyone else, including the original artist. For example the two bends at about 2:45-2:48 in this video, which gets a response out of me that the other dozen versions I've heard doesn't. So my questions--especially for those who know what I'm speaking of from personal experience--are along the lines of:

- Do you find that other people don't get triggered by the same thing? For example, maybe no one else you know ever has the same response to the sound, or perhaps they do but when it is a very slightly different sound?

- A quick look on the internetz seemed to bring up a lot of new-agey sites on this. Anyone know of scientific experiments involving this, or human pleasuable response to sound generally? (I guess the 'sound therapy' psychology people have pursued this...?)

- How often do you experience this?

- Do you get similar responses from other things, or just music?

- Do you respond in this way to individual notes, chords, licks/riffs, general meshing of sounds, vocals, rhythms, or other?
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Online sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
Re: Music: Pleasurable Frequencies, Notes, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:44:02 PM »
I'm not sure if this counts but I get this gush of tinglyness sometimes when I listen to emotional songs about love, pain, struggle and torment. I didn't give this much thought though.

Any other song out there doesn't give me that feel.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:44:14 PM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:48:31 AM »
I don't know if you get that tingly/odd/transcedent feeling from hearing certain sounds (and more specifically for the purposes of this thread: from music). I do, somewhat rarely, though increasingly more and more. If you're wondering what the heck I am talking about, I imagine some musicians who contort their face feel the same thing, not being merely "into it," but feeling something much rarer and more enjoyable.

Anyway, so I've noticed over the last few months, as I've watched Youtube guitar covers of songs, that maybe one particular player will hit a note that sets me off (great feels) that doesn't happen with anyone else, including the original artist. For example the two bends at about 2:45-2:48 in this video, which gets a response out of me that the other dozen versions I've heard doesn't. So my questions--especially for those who know what I'm speaking of from personal experience--are along the lines of:

- Do you find that other people don't get triggered by the same thing? For example, maybe no one else you know ever has the same response to the sound, or perhaps they do but when it is a very slightly different sound?

- A quick look on the internetz seemed to bring up a lot of new-agey sites on this. Anyone know of scientific experiments involving this, or human pleasuable response to sound generally? (I guess the 'sound therapy' psychology people have pursued this...?)

- How often do you experience this?

- Do you get similar responses from other things, or just music?

- Do you respond in this way to individual notes, chords, licks/riffs, general meshing of sounds, vocals, rhythms, or other?

Well, I respond particularly well to note-bends, particularly when done on a blues scale somewhere starting around the 4th from the minor root, going up to the 5th and coming back down. Not so much so when done as in the example video when part of shredding, but when done in a slow and soulful style by an accomplished guitarist. Clapton's solo on the Beatle's While My Guitar Gently Weeps would be a prime example.

Other than that - any opening riff to a rockabilly style song and it's permutations into rhythm and blues. The opening to Buddy Holly's "That'll Be The Day" and Chuck Berry's "Johnny B Good" hit the same sweet spot.

Also, as a combination of individual elements, any punky pop song with female vocals is pretty much instant happy - Joan Jett, early Blondie, Kinickie, Bikini Kill, the Dollyrots, something about that mixture of distorted guitars and bratty female vocal lights up pretty much every single pleasure spot my brain contains.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 03:45:20 AM »
I don't know about any "pleasure frequencies", but I do know from personal experience just how pleasurable it is to hear a choir sing so perfectly in tune that I can actually hear strong overtones two octaves higher than any note anyone is singing. It happens rarely, especially with my amateur church choir, but when it does, WOW! :o
Not all who wander are lost.

Online WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:45 AM »
Binaural beats?