Author Topic: "Daniel's Prophecy of the 70 Weeks" by Dr. Alva J. McClain  (Read 1381 times)

Offline mcarmichael

• High Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: idk.
"Daniel's Prophecy of the 70 Weeks" by Dr. Alva J. McClain
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »
I have one of the older copies of this book, and it comes with this somewhat fairly epic Dedication:
"About the Time of the End, a body of men will be raised up who will turn their attention to the Prophecies, and insist upon their literal interpretation, in the midst of much clamor and opposition."- Sir Isaac Newton.

From the cover:
"....presumably pinpoints the exact time within the fourth kingdom when the Messiah shall appear. In the author's words, 'A proper understanding of the seventy weeks of Daniel not only safeguards the Christian against the elaborate guess-work of those who persist in setting dates for the Lord's return, but also furnishes the infallible key to the real chronology of all New Testament prophecy."

I read this as a youth after I'd first returned to the Lord and was influenced deeply. I recently found it on Amazon.com again and I still have to say that the Introduction and Part I are exceptional. In Part II and Part III I think he begins to fall off the rails, as he seems to be a Pre-Tribber of sorts.

Anyway it goes through all of the maths, setting the coming of the Messiah foretold in Daniel to our Lord's Triumphal Entry in Jerusalem, which was maybe controversial in Dr. Alva J.McClain's day, idk. It's really very neat. I have a link if anyone is interested: http://rediscoveringthebible.com/McClain.html (approx. 10 pages)

"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: "Daniel's Prophecy of the 70 Weeks" by Dr. Alva J. McClain
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:15:24 PM »
Don't we have the Left Behind series if we want to read strange end times fiction?
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline mcarmichael

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:29:47 PM »
Don't we have the Left Behind series if we want to read strange end times fiction?

Assuming we can read. I recommend it, so..

You can even compare Part I to Parts II & III, and his logic just goes off the rails.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:36:29 PM by mcarmichael »

Online Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:07:40 AM »
I tried translating that passage from the Hebrew and had difficulties in spots.  I do not think one can make a map of the future out of that passage, as much as some premillenists try.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:08:05 AM by Gamliel »

Offline mcarmichael

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:38:29 AM »
I tried translating that passage from the Hebrew and had difficulties in spots.  I do not think one can make a map of the future out of that passage, as much as some premillenists try.

It's really unclear to people, isn't it? Although they read the blurb that I surreptitiously supplied, which counter-indicates that application.

Offline mcarmichael

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:33:59 PM »
I'd like to get some "Orthodox" perspectives on it, after everyone has read it twice. Or, at least the introduction. For example I'm led to believe that the Orthodox do expect an eventual "Anti-Christ", for example. So, aside from the Chiliaism thing, I don't think this book is half bad - and by the way, it doesn't predict a date for the return of Christ, in case anyone hasn't figured it out yet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:41:50 PM by mcarmichael »