Author Topic: Great new book by a dear friend!  (Read 58 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
Great new book by a dear friend!
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »
My good friend Harrison Scott Key has just published a memoir entitled, "The World's Largest Man."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-Largest-Man-Memoir/dp/0062351494

Here is a golden passage from it:

This funny thing happens when people ask where I’m from, especially when I’m at academic conferences, where people are so often from uninteresting places.

“Mississippi,” I say.

“Oh, wow!” they say.

I can tell they’ve never seen a real live racist before, or at the very least someone who’s related to a racist, or has seen one in the wild. It’s exciting for them. They want to tweet it. They want to write a memoir about it.

“So,” they say. “What’s Mississippi really like?”

I can tell what they really want to ask is, What was it like to grow up around crazy people who believe that whatever can’t be shot should be baptized? But they are afraid to ask, because they are not yet sure if I am one of those people.

I am.

Kind of.

Not really.

Sometimes.

I do believe in the power of Jesus and rifles, but to keep things interesting, I also believe in the power of NPR and the scientific method. It is not easy explaining all this to educated people at cocktail parties…

Selam
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:09:45 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
Re: Great new book by a dear friend!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »
Success with conversational explanations may vary.