OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:46:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal and Rock Thread  (Read 5827 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »

There are several disparate threads about metal and rock on the forum, but they're generally of the "Is it bad?" variety, or dealing with a very specific situation. I've been using the Orthodox Folk/Death Metal thread as a sort of general catch-all place to post, but Alveus would rather have that thread die, so I figured I'd start a new one, this one devoted to general discussion (info about what bands you're discovering, what new album you hate, why you think music is dead, etc.) If you want to debate whether rock/metal is evil, please use one of the twenty thousand other threads...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:37:41 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 12:26:51 AM »

The new album of As I Lay Dying is currently streaming for free at AOL Music...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:27:13 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »

Asteriktos, you strike me as a fellow who listened to Iced Earth back in the day.

Have you repented?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:12:48 AM »

Lol, I just bought my first Iced Earth album a couple weeks ago. Found it in a used CD store and recognized the name, so I gave it a shot. Didn't much like it.  police
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:15:11 AM »

Checking out their Wiki page, looks like they've had some pretty extensive lineup changes lately. Hate to say it, but I'm afraid they might have lost their touch. But hey, I still haven't heard all of I Am, so I can't judge just yet.

I see what you mean (at wiki), I was unware. So now they're like Underoath and don't have any founding members left. Huh.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:44 AM »

Sentenced - We are but Falling Leaves

This song seems to never get old or boring.

EDIT: They started as a Melodic Death Metal band but transformed into this. This is from their last album before they broke up.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:45:38 AM by Alpo » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »

Sorry, Alpo. This is the real Sentenced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8Xs8ydvE0&feature=relmfu

Finland was truly the Mecca of old-school death metal in the early 90's: Abhorrence, Demilich, Depravity, (early) Amorphis, Disgrace, Convulse, Demigod, Purtenance, Adramelech, Rippikoulu, Funebre, etc. The list is endless. That's without even mentioning Finland's stellar black metal scene (Beherit, Archgoat, etc.). I also really enjoyed a Christian metal band from Finland quite a bit called Mordecai. They put out a really solid release "Through the Shadows, Towards the Dawn" many moons ago. I loved that in high school.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:54:42 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 02:18:03 AM »

Sorry, Alpo. This is the real Sentenced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8Xs8ydvE0&feature=relmfu

Heretic!

Finland was truly the Mecca of old-school death metal in the early 90's: Abhorrence, Demilich, Depravity, (early) Amorphis, Disgrace, Convulse, Demigod, Purtenance, Adramelech, Rippikoulu, Funebre, etc. The list is endless. That's without even mentioning Finland's stellar black metal scene (Beherit, Archgoat, etc.). I also really enjoyed a Christian metal band from Finland quite a bit called Mordecai. They put out a really solid release "Through the Shadows, Towards the Dawn" many moons ago. I loved that in high school.

Lol, I'm a Finn and I've listened to Metal all the way since high school and I still haven't heard heard of most of the bands you mentioned. But I wasn't that much into Death Metal but to wimpy Melodic Black Metal which seemed to be fashionable when I was younger. Rippikoulu has such a brilliant name though that I must get to know them.

I remember loving that Mordecai's EP. I don't know how old I was when I bought their split album Immortal Souls which contained latters Divine Wintertime. Mordecai and Immortal Souls were one of the few decent Christian Metal bands I could find in those days. Good times.

Btw, nice to see you around. I haven't noticed you posting for a while.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:20:55 AM by Alpo » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »

Got the new Becoming the Archetype album today, and have listened to it now. Sort of unsure what to think. My first impressions are not generally positive... sort of middle of the road. The only song I truly dislike is The Planet Maker, but as for the rest... I don't know. About 2-3 songs into the album I was thinking something along the lines of "Ok, I don't love this, but it might grow on me". By the time it got to the blah instrumental that was starting to change, and by the end... well, like I said, not generally positive. Who knows, maybe I'll listen to it another half dozen times and find some stuff I like though. I've been known to change my mind.  angel
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »

Asteriktos, you strike me as a fellow who listened to Iced Earth back in the day.

Have you repented?

Stop...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »

Also received the new As I Lay Dying disc yesterday. Much more interesting (to me) than the BtA, though it doesn't quite match my favorite by them, An Ocean Between Us.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »

neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »

I've been trying to get into Burzum lately, but I just can't digest black metal. Burzum is more bearable than most other BM I've heard, but still...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:18:07 AM by neon_knights » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 12:23:19 AM »

I've been trying to get into Burzum lately, but I just can't digest black metal. Burzum is more bearable than most other BM I've heard, but still...

You might like Summoning. They are very much a development of the Burzum style, but generally less abrasive. Heavy on atmosphere, light on blast beats. All their songs are Tolkien-themed. Good albums to start with: Oath Bound, Nightshade Forests, Dol Guldur.

Some sample tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEmcnnj8_v0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBZQGOtpJFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEk8K6MnJo
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:28:17 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
christian7777
Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 01:03:05 AM »

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Scar Symmetry. Apparently they're working on their next album, I look forward to hearing what it will be like.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:03:43 AM by christian7777 » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 01:15:42 AM »

Hmm, let me think.  Metal and Rock bands I used to enjoy and occasionally listen to now.

Nazareth
AC/DC
Guns and Roses
Metallica (Black album only)
Led Zeppelin
and various other songs scattered throughout.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »

As unoriginal as this opinion may be, Led Zeppelin stands alone at the top. They are the Michael Jordan of Rock music. They had the technical chops, the longevity, the passion, the uncanny live performances, the chemistry, and the originality. All subsequent heavy metal bands were in some way influenced by Zeppelin. But Zeppelin wasn't just a heavy metal band that threw in a few cheesy ballads now and then. What I think made Zeppelin truly great was the diversity and range of the music they produced. They could play any style of music while still retaining their signature sound. And none of their music sounded trite, commercial, or manufactured. It all seemed to come from an authentic core. There is a "realness" to all Zeppelin songs. And like all truly great art, their music stands the test of time. One of the hardest things to do is to make music that doesn't sound dated. How do musicians know that what sounds good at the moment will still sound good decades later? But Led Zeppelin was somehow able to experiment with an array of sounds without creating music that seemed confined by the trappings of the era. There may be other bands and musicians that are just as technically proficient, but Zeppelin had all the intangibles and the combination of all the ingredients that create greatness.

Just my opinion.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »

As unoriginal as this opinion may be, Led Zeppelin stands alone at the top. They are the Michael Jordan of Rock music. They had the technical chops, the longevity, the passion, the uncanny live performances, the chemistry, and the originality. All subsequent heavy metal bands were in some way influenced by Zeppelin. But Zeppelin wasn't just a heavy metal band that threw in a few cheesy ballads now and then. What I think made Zeppelin truly great was the diversity and range of the music they produced. They could play any style of music while still retaining their signature sound. And none of their music sounded trite, commercial, or manufactured. It all seemed to come from an authentic core. There is a "realness" to all Zeppelin songs. And like all truly great art, their music stands the test of time. One of the hardest things to do is to make music that doesn't sound dated. How do musicians know that what sounds good at the moment will still sound good decades later? But Led Zeppelin was somehow able to experiment with an array of sounds without creating music that seemed confined by the trappings of the era. There may be other bands and musicians that are just as technically proficient, but Zeppelin had all the intangibles and the combination of all the ingredients that create greatness.

Just my opinion.

Selam

Led Zeppelin stole a bunch of songs from poor American blues singers and claimed credit for them. Eventually they were found out but they're still living in castles. They took the songs of oppressed people and made them into blazing celebrations of the white male ego. They are a disgusting band.

Robert Plant is insufferable.

You are wrong about Led Zeppelin and metal. Their influence is often exaggerated. Black Sabbath was far more important.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:43:47 PM by Iconodule » Logged

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »

As far as good bands go, I really love Les Discrets' two albums.

2010's Septembre et Ses Dernieres Pensees

And this year's Ariettes Oubliees

They are a fairly metallic band. They are often described (along with Alcest) as some sort of shoe gaze/ black metal hybrid. Thematically, they draw a great deal on romanticism and the Symbolist movement. They made a great song out of Paul Verlaine's "Song of Autumn": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaorodbg21Q

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »

I cringe everytime someone says Led Zeppelin is heavy metal.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »

Checking out their Wiki page, looks like they've had some pretty extensive lineup changes lately. Hate to say it, but I'm afraid they might have lost their touch. But hey, I still haven't heard all of I Am, so I can't judge just yet.

I see what you mean (at wiki), I was unware. So now they're like Underoath and don't have any founding members left. Huh.

Zao doesnt have any originals either

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »

Just my opinion.

Selam

Led Zeppelin stole a bunch of songs from poor American blues singers and claimed credit for them. Eventually they were found out but they're still living in castles. They took the songs of oppressed people and made them into blazing celebrations of the white male ego. They are a disgusting band.

You are wrong about Led Zeppelin and metal. Their influence is often exaggerated. Black Sabbath was far more important.

I don't think they stole anything. All art is an immitation of life, and no thought is truly original. Immitation is the greatest form of flattery (somebody said that), and to be influenced by great music and then do something original with it is not thievery in my eyes.

As for the character, ego, and morality of Robert Plant and the other members of Zeppelin, you won't see me arguing for their virtue. But their artistic genius is unquestioned.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 11:58:46 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I'm pretty sure that the term "heavy metal" originated with Zeppelin. They definitely played some heavy metal songs, but they played so much more as well.

Selam

TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »

Just my opinion.

Selam

I don't think they stole anything. All art is an immitation of life, and no thought is truly original. Immitation is the greatest form of flattery (somebody said that), and to be influenced by great music and then do something original with it is not thievery in my eyes.

As for the character, ego, and morality of Robert Plant and the other members of Zeppelin, you won't see me arguing for their virtue. But their artistic genius is unquestioned.

Selam

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You was stolen by them. Google it. You'll find the Youtube video exposing it.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:09 AM »

You know I am against theft and all, but when it comes to music I don't care so much. That's thanks to me growing up with heavily sampled hip hop music.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »

Just my opinion.

Selam

Selam

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You was stolen by them. Google it. You'll find the Youtube video exposing it.

All rock was essentially stolen from the blues, if you want to look at it that way. Robert Plant did actually steal Sonny Boy Williamson's harmonica though. That was outright theft.  Wink

Selam

TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 01:01:28 AM »

True, Gebre. Led Zeppelin is also one of my favorite bands (though I was taught to believe rock music is demonic, or so says my former spiritual father).

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 01:22:44 AM »

True, Gebre. Led Zeppelin is also one of my favorite bands (though I was taught to believe rock music is demonic, or so says my former spiritual father).

I won't argue with your spiritual father. I rarely listen to Zeppelin anymore. Not as the result of any conscious decision, but my spirit just isn't drawn to rock music like it used to be. I consider that a good thing. But don't get me wrong,  I still "get the Led out" every now and then.  Wink

Selam

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:52 AM »

This thread needs more Virgin Black:

Silent.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 01:37:54 AM »

Selam

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »

Underoath announced that they're breaking up...

(inb4 iconodule, alveus, et al start saying "no big loss"  Grin )
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »

Who is Underoath? Seriously, I don't know who they are.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »

Really? Wow, you really are elite!  Cheesy Pretty sure they were the biggest Christian metalcore* band, in terms of sales anyway. I thought they were hit and miss, but their Define the Great Line is one of my favorite albums.

*They didn't start out as metalcore, but were some type of eclectic mix of metal.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »

Really? Wow, you really are elite!  Cheesy Pretty sure they were the biggest Christian metalcore* band, in terms of sales anyway. I thought they were hit and miss, but their Define the Great Line is one of my favorite albums.

*They didn't start out as metalcore, but were some type of eclectic mix of metal.

Okay. I've honestly never really delved into the metalcore genre. I generally don't like the sound and the bands just seem like a never-ending stream of really dumb names.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I'm pretty sure that the term "heavy metal" originated with Zeppelin. They definitely played some heavy metal songs, but they played so much more as well.

Selam

"Heavy Metal" in the context of music originated with "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf. 

While it's largely a matter of hair-splitting, I'd consider Black Sabbath to be the "first" heavy metal band, especially when put up against that first Zeppelin record which, with the benefit of hindsight, sounds more "rock" than "metal." 

And people who complain about LZ stealing blues riffs have no idea what they're talking about because the history of the blues is the history of stealing riffs.  Buddy Guy often said he liked playing with BB King and Clapton because he could watch and listen to them play up close so he could steal their riffs.  Classical composers often stole melodies and arrangements from one another willy-nilly.  The only people who think this is somehow some great crime are non-musicians.  All musicians are thieves in some way, shape, or form.  The best have the ability to do a quick paint job, as it were, and drive away with what seems to be a new car.  At present, I'm stealing all sorts of Beck and Page licks, but I barely use some cheap Krylon on them, so to speak. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »

Selam

"Heavy Metal" in the context of music originated with "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf. 

While it's largely a matter of hair-splitting, I'd consider Black Sabbath to be the "first" heavy metal band, especially when put up against that first Zeppelin record which, with the benefit of hindsight, sounds more "rock" than "metal." 

And people who complain about LZ stealing blues riffs have no idea what they're talking about because the history of the blues is the history of stealing riffs.  Buddy Guy often said he liked playing with BB King and Clapton because he could watch and listen to them play up close so he could steal their riffs.  Classical composers often stole melodies and arrangements from one another willy-nilly.  The only people who think this is somehow some great crime are non-musicians.  All musicians are thieves in some way, shape, or form.  The best have the ability to do a quick paint job, as it were, and drive away with what seems to be a new car.  At present, I'm stealing all sorts of Beck and Page licks, but I barely use some cheap Krylon on them, so to speak. 

When I learned to play bass, one of the first things I learned was the simple 'walking' bass line, followed by some other blues figures. I almost never had to vary them after that; nearly every blues song was some kind of assembly of the basic riffs. Just as reggaeton has pretty much one drumbeat (taken from "Dem Bow" by Shabba Ranks), blues has a few patterns and except for lead guitar solos, there's not much more to it in terms of building blocks. That doesn't mean the songs aren't worth listening to. There are only so many notes and chords... "Immature poets borrow. Mature poets steal."

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »

Underoath announced that they're breaking up...

(inb4 iconodule, alveus, et al start saying "no big loss"  Grin )

Super bummed about this.  Been one of my favorites since "when the sun sleeps"

It seems all my favorite bands growing up are finally getting old and hanging it up.  Thrice recently hung it up to... Theyre probably my favorite of all time...

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 01:01:36 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Selam

You literally could have no idea how deeply personally and spiritually moving that particular Icon has been for my life Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Selam

And people who complain about LZ stealing blues riffs have no idea what they're talking about because the history of the blues is the history of stealing riffs.  Buddy Guy often said he liked playing with BB King and Clapton because he could watch and listen to them play up close so he could steal their riffs.  Classical composers often stole melodies and arrangements from one another willy-nilly.  The only people who think this is somehow some great crime are non-musicians.  All musicians are thieves in some way, shape, or form.  The best have the ability to do a quick paint job, as it were, and drive away with what seems to be a new car.  At present, I'm stealing all sorts of Beck and Page licks, but I barely use some cheap Krylon on them, so to speak.  

When I learned to play bass, one of the first things I learned was the simple 'walking' bass line, followed by some other blues figures. I almost never had to vary them after that; nearly every blues song was some kind of assembly of the basic riffs. Just as reggaeton has pretty much one drumbeat (taken from "Dem Bow" by Shabba Ranks), blues has a few patterns and except for lead guitar solos, there's not much more to it in terms of building blocks.

At the foundation, blues is simple, but the more intricate blues bass players are intensely nuanced.  Reggae seems so simple and easy to folks listening from the outside, but musically it is quite literally one the hardest styles to play right. I've heard a million terrible imitation blues and reggae bands that would swear to themselves they were authentic, and had even somehow convinced some kind of fan base to believe the same, but from my experience playing and singing in blues and reggae bands in particular, finding a good bassie who can truly hold it down while also experimenting and yet essentially leading the band? A gem almost as rare as a good keys player Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:05:51 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »

I won't argue with your spiritual father. I rarely listen to Zeppelin anymore. Not as the result of any conscious decision, but my spirit just isn't drawn to rock music like it used to be. I consider that a good thing. But don't get me wrong,  I still "get the Led out" every now and then.  Wink

Selam

That is good.  Robert Plant ruins the otherwise sonic brilliance that is Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones Wink 

They should release dub versions!!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »

Selam

That is good.  Robert Plant ruins the otherwise sonic brilliance that is Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones Wink 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Please. Like the Yardbirds went anywhere. Without Plant there would have been no early Soundgarden. 'Nuff said.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »

Selam

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Please. Like the Yardbirds went anywhere. Without Plant there would have been no early Soundgarden. 'Nuff said.

So, what, you are only making me dislike Led Zeppelin all the more if we can blame them for Chris Cornell  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »

Selam

stay blessed,
habte selassie

So, what, you are only making me dislike Led Zeppelin all the more if we can blame them for Chris Cornell  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

You disparage everything up to Superunknown? Heresy.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »

Disclosure:  I own Led Zeppelin III, it is not only the only Zep record I can dig, but it is indeed one of the greatest albums of all time!  However the key is Plant does more singing, a lot less wailing and moaning suggestively Smiley

I listen to Sabbath so it is not effeminate vocals that I dislike, it is just that it is a thin line between good effeminate male vocals and whining effeminate male vocals.  In my opinion, Robert Plant crosses the line too much, Ozzy straddles it just right.

I also dig singers with off-tempo cadence like Lou Reed and Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, but it is equally a matter of subtle nuances that makes that kind of singing good or terrible.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:25:23 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 07:54:26 PM »

Really digging the new album by Daylight Dies, A Frail Becoming...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »

Their age is really starting to show...

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 02:39:47 AM »

Last time I checked Wintersun was a Melodic Death Metal band but apparently they decided that their previous album was not epic enough.

Wintersun - Sons Of Winter And Stars
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »

I just caught myself thinking "Ain't my -----" as a response to something. As in, the phrase used by a band impersonating Metallica on the album Load in the song of the same name. Over 15 years later and I still have that phrase in my head? From that album? And aren't I missing the point the song was making? What's wrong with me? I'm scared...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »

I just caught myself thinking "Ain't my -----" as a response to something. As in, the phrase used by a band impersonating Metallica on the album Load in the song of the same name. Over 15 years later and I still have that phrase in my head? From that album? And aren't I missing the point the song was making? What's wrong with me? I'm scared...

It's okay.  Smiley

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »

My favorite thrash album:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:48:13 AM by Iconodule » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »

I know you've been waiting all year for this. I won't make you wait any longer. Here are my ratings of albums released in 2012 (the ones I own anyway)...

95/100 - Carach Angren - Where the Corpses Sink Forever
94/100 - ea - ea
90/100 - Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
87/100 - Daylight Dies - A Frail Becoming
86/100 - Cannibal Corpse - Torture
84/100 - Merrimack - The Acausal Mass
83/100 - Wodensthrone - Curse
82/100 - As I Lay Dying - Awakened
81/100 - Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre
79/100 - Lamb of God - Resolution
79/100 - Candlemass - Psalms for the Dead
79/100 - The Forsaken - Beyond Redemption
78/100 - Ahab - The Giant
78/100 - Anhedonist - Netherwards
77/100 - Grave Digger - Clash of the Gods
76/100 - Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
74/100 - Nile - At the Gate of Sethu
74/100 - Evoken - Atra Mors
73/100 - Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis
71/100 - Angel Witch - As Above, So Below
70/100 - Over Kill - The Electric Age
63/100 - Havok - Point of No Return EP
60/100 - Metallica - Beyond Magnetic EP
58/100 - Napalm Death - Utilitarian
57/100 - Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky
51/100 - Demon Hunter - True Defiance
44/100 - Conan - Monnos
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:38:37 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »

Last weekend my friends and I were at a karaoke bar that had, among other odd selections, Napalm Death's 2-second song "You Suffer" in the database.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »

Last weekend my friends and I were at a karaoke bar that had, among other odd selections, Napalm Death's 2-second song "You Suffer" in the database.

Well? How did it go?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »

Well? How did it go?

I didn't do that song... I don't think any of my friends would have understood. I went with Iron Maiden's "Aces High" and also songs by Tom Jones and Roy Orbison.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2012, 02:46:24 PM »

Asteriktos: pretty good list!  Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »

Albums I'm looking forward to next year...
Nightfall - Cassiopeia (1.18.13)
Cult of Luna - Vertikal (1.29.13)
Mourning Beloveth - Formless (2.15.13)
Twilight Of The Gods - Fire On The Mountain (3.?.13)
October Falls - The Plague Of A Coming Age (3.15.13)
Luna Ad Noctum - Hypnotic Inferno (3.21.13)
Cathedral - The Last Spire (4.?.13)
Opeth - ? ("something's coming" in the spring, don't know what)
Edge of Serenity - The Royal Hunt (Spring?)
Mouth of the Architect - ? (Spring?)
Acrassicauda
Extol
Mournful Gust
Lazarus A.D.
Mastodon
Dark Fortress
To Cast a Shadow
Megadeth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »

I thought I'd heard all I needed to hear this year, but I was wrong  angel I have to add:

The Howling Void - The Womb Beyond the World

...to my top 10 albums from 2012. Some great funeral doom music.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

I know you've been waiting all year for this. I won't make you wait any longer. Here are my ratings of albums released in 2012 (the ones I own anyway)...

Sheesh - I don't have any of those albums, and nothing at all by most of those bands. I'm much more comfortable in the symphonic end of the metal spectrum, particularly the female-fronted kind. The only thing I have to look forward to is whether Floor Janssen will become the next vocalist for Nightwish. And how long it will take Blind Guardian this time to bring out new material.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »

Sheesh - I don't have any of those albums, and nothing at all by most of those bands. I'm much more comfortable in the symphonic end of the metal spectrum, particularly the female-fronted kind. The only thing I have to look forward to is whether Floor Janssen will become the next vocalist for Nightwish. And how long it will take Blind Guardian this time to bring out new material.

Pffffttt... Leave the hall.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »

Pffffttt... Leave the hall.

I still have some goodies from the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, prefect. Tongue

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »

Favorite heavy albums of 2012:

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Gaza - No Absolutes In Human Suffereing (not the most spiritually uplifting album ever, but jeez its heavy...)

And Im about to check up on the newest Kowloon Walled City album called Container Ships.

Honorable mentions:

The Chariot - One Wing

Old Man Gloom - No

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »

Any newer bands that you're liking? I mean bands that have just begun putting out albums in the last, say, 7 years or less?  I have a few...

Acrassicauda - Iraqi thrash. They're supposed to have a new album coming this year, their first full length. Technically they've been together a decade, but their first real release was an EP in 2010.

Anhedonist - American death/doom. First full length came out in 2012.

Carach Angren - Dutch symphonic black metal. My new favorite band, I'm really digging the new release from last year, and also enjoy the past couple that I've heard on spotify. First EP was in 2005 but their first full length wasn't until 2008.

Havok - American thrash. I liked their debut (2009) the most, but I still have high hopes for future releases.

The Howling Void - American funeral doom. A bit repetitive at times, but very relaxing and enjoyable nonetheless. They released 3 albums in 4 years starting in 2009.

Lazarus A.D. - American thrash. Another thrash band that I liked the debut (2007) of the most but am still optimistic about.

Nekromantheon - Norwegian thrash metal. Pretty good stuff IMO. First EP was in 2007 and first album in 2010.

The Resurrection Sorrow - American stoner/heavy. Pretty good debut album in 2009, especially considering that I don't like much from this genre.

Wodensthrone - British black/folk. I haven't heard their first one from 2009 yet, but the album from last year was good.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »

The latest In This Moment album, Blood, is quite enjoyable. Much less metalcore than before, although the vocals still slide that way occasionally.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »

I mentioned them before, but my two favorite new bands at the moment are Alcest and Les Discrets from France. They are often described as a cross between shoegaze and black metal... sounds awkward but it works wonderfully.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2013, 01:19:54 AM »

A new Megadeth album comes out this June. Hopefully it's better than Thirteen.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 02:59:05 AM »

I can't believe it took this long for me to start using Spotify. Over the past couple months I've heard more bands that I liked, who are new to me, than I had over the previous 10 years.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »

I left Spotify when they started charging. It was a resource hog anyway. I'm much happier with Last.fm.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »

I pay $0 a month for spotify  Smiley
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2013, 07:28:48 AM »

Oh, there's (still) a free version. I just got tired with the 'This (whatever) is only available to premium users' message. As I said... diff'rent strokes. Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:36 AM »

New Megadeth vid. As horrible as you'd expect if you've heard the album. Though I have to say that Dave Mustaine playing the jerk (abusive?) Father was completely believable.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »

New Megadeth vid. As horrible as you'd expect if you've heard the album. Though I have to say that Dave Mustaine playing the jerk (abusive?) Father was completely believable.

The chorus of that song isn't bad but it's not a Megadeth song.  The verses are atrocious.

The video was even worse.  A love story?  Come on. 

I have to go watch "Wake Up Dead" now to clean my brain out.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »

Neo-nazi and black metal star Varg Vikernes arrested in France

Not sure which is more oxymoronic: pop punk or black metal star.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »

Shocked Angry

And I like Burzum. Just for the music, not the wacky philosophy thing.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2013, 01:30:26 PM »

Neo-nazi and black metal star Varg Vikernes arrested in France

Not sure which is more oxymoronic: pop punk or black metal star.

Good riddance.  I never understood the draw of that guy or his music. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »

Co-organising that at the moment.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »

I know this is sort of an obscure question, but can anyone think of songs in which you enjoy the rhythm under a solo more than the solo itself?  Or at least they fit so well together that you enjoy the rhythm as much as the solo?

I like a few tandems like that on Tourniquet's Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance album, but especially with En Hakkore (solo).

Anyone else?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »

I imagine that's a hair-greying process to go through to get everything set up?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »

I imagine that's a hair-greying process to go through to get everything set up?

Indeed.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

Some pictures:
http://generation.by/doc14-726.html?fb_action_ids=649573878386000
http://euroradio.fm/basovishcha-2013-vyaliki-fotarepartazh
http://www.racyja.com/index.php?id=103&zoom=16035#.UexN29L0GSo
http://www.racyja.com/index.php?id=103&zoom=16016#.UexOCdL0GSo
http://nn.by/?c=ar&i=112889
https://www.facebook.com/ilo.karpiuk/media_set?set=a.10201506280717683.1073741825.1196417058&type=1 (you need to 'friend' me on facebook to watch them

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »

Media coverage from the festival (in Belarusian or Polish):
http://www.racyja.com/index.php?id=103&zoom=16035#.Ue52INL0GSp
http://www.racyja.com/index.php?id=103&zoom=16016#.Ue52OdL0GSo
http://generation.by/news6199.html
http://www.svaboda.org/content/article/25050960.html
http://www.svaboda.org/content/article/25053675.html
http://euroradio.fm/basovishcha-2013-vyaliki-fotarepartazh
http://euroradio.fm/belaruskaya-mova-na-basovishchy-robicca-usyo-bolsh-neabavyazkovay
http://nn.by/?c=ar&i=112889
http://nn.by/?c=ar&i=112927
http://nn.by/?c=ar&i=113003
http://bialystok.gazeta.pl/bialystok/1,35233,14313541,Basowiszcza__Grodek_nie_spal_przez_dwie_noce__Bialorus.html
http://www.t-styl.info/by/115/lifestyle/10807/“Басовішча-2013”-падвяло-толькі-надвор’е.htm
http://ultra-music.com/articles/reviews/13930
http://www.poranny.pl/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20130720%2FKULTURA01%2F130729989
http://www.poranny.pl/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20130719%2FBIALYSTOK%2F130719532
http://www.radio.bialystok.pl/kultura/wydarzenia/id/101541
http://www.wspolczesna.pl/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20130721%2FREG06%2F130729984
http://belsat.eu/be/wiadomosci/a,14899,vinsent-akute-i-the-toobes-vystupili-na-basovishchy.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:57:16 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2013, 04:17:41 AM »

So is that why you hadn't slept for like a bazillion hours the other day, you were doing this? How did it go overall?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2013, 04:32:18 AM »

Yes. It ended up quite fine actually. 2-3k visitors in total, no big problems in the middle of doing, press reviews are positive moslty. Here you can find  a short clip from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmBEbnkDCvw

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
tetepet

Faith: Orthodox Christianity

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »

Rise Against.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2013, 01:51:34 AM »

I have been completely swamped with requests to give a mid-year list of what albums I like that have been released this year. It's insane. I kept putting it off, but now some are getting quite violent, so I will acquiesce and post a simple list. I hope this will placate ... well you know who you are! A more detailed list will arrive in December. Be calm and listen to metal.

Koldbrann - Vertigo (black)
October Falls - The Plague of a Coming Age (folk/doom/black)
Essence - Last Night of Solace (thrash)
Procession - To Reap Heavens Apart (doom)
Ade - Spartacus (death)
Abomnium - Coffinships (black)
October Tide - Tunnel of No Light (melodic doom/death)
Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy (death)
Inferior - Unsoiled (thrash)
Exeloume - Return of the Nephilim (thrash/death)
Agathodaimon - In Darkness (gothic/black)
Throne of Heresy - Realms of Desecration (death)
Intronaut - Habitual Levitations (progressive)
Sonic Reign - Monument in Black (black)
Lychgate - Lychgate (black)
Hela - Broken Cross (stoner/doom)

(All available on Spotify if you want to check any out)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:52:26 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »

I've been cycling through In Mourning's last two albums. Progressive melo-death in the same vein of Blackwater Park-era Opeth.

In Mourning - The Smoke

In Mourning - A Vow to Conquer the Ocean
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »

Wow! Good artwork. I will check them out.  Smiley

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:32 PM »

A year late to the party, but I'm relieved to confirm that I do like Kamelot even without Roy Khan. Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »

Snippets from the upcoming Deliverance album.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »

Metallica's Robert Trujillo Shares A Great Story About Meeting Ozzy (and more).

lol, nice
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »

95/100 - Carach Angren - Where the Corpses Sink Forever
94/100 - ea - ea
90/100 - Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
87/100 - Daylight Dies - A Frail Becoming
86/100 - Cannibal Corpse - Torture
84/100 - Merrimack - The Acausal Mass
83/100 - Wodensthrone - Curse
82/100 - As I Lay Dying - Awakened
81/100 - Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre
79/100 - Lamb of God - Resolution
79/100 - Candlemass - Psalms for the Dead
79/100 - The Forsaken - Beyond Redemption
78/100 - Ahab - The Giant
78/100 - Anhedonist - Netherwards
77/100 - Grave Digger - Clash of the Gods
76/100 - Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
74/100 - Nile - At the Gate of Sethu
74/100 - Evoken - Atra Mors
73/100 - Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis
71/100 - Angel Witch - As Above, So Below
70/100 - Over Kill - The Electric Age
63/100 - Havok - Point of No Return EP
60/100 - Metallica - Beyond Magnetic EP
58/100 - Napalm Death - Utilitarian
57/100 - Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky
51/100 - Demon Hunter - True Defiance
44/100 - Conan - Monnos

LOL @ you!!!!!!

Post of Last Year!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »

Black metal. It's not all guitars and screams and satan and church burnings. Sometimes you need to take a break from all that and just do an arts and crafts project.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

Black metal. It's not all guitars and screams and satan and church burnings. Sometimes you need to take a break from all that and just do an arts and crafts project.

STAAAAKE EEEET! AND THEN KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

They're not "Living Colour" but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f56ZtXrx_nw

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »

So, anyone have their 2013 metal album picks? Here are my current top five:

Intronaut - Habitual Levitations
The Ocean - Pelagial
Caligula's Horse - The Tide, The Thief & River's End
In Vain - Aenigma
Omnium Gatherum - Beyond
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »

2013 picks:

Motorhead -- Aftershock
Queens of The Stone Age -- ...Like Clockwork
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:21 AM »

I have been completely swamped with requests to give a mid-year list of what albums I like that have been released this year. It's insane. I kept putting it off, but now some are getting quite violent, so I will acquiesce and post a simple list. I hope this will placate ... well you know who you are! A more detailed list will arrive in December. Be calm and listen to metal.

Ade - Spartacus (death)

(All available on Spotify if you want to check any out)

Since I made the above post about 4 months ago I have added the following albums to my 2013 playlist:

Havok - Unnatural Selection (thrash)
Sons of Aeon - Sons of Aeon (melodic death)
Seth - The Howling Spirit (black)
Orpheus Omega - ResIllusion (melodic death)
Acacia - Tills Doden Skiljer Oss At (atmospheric doom/black)
Thrawsunblat - Wanderer on the Continent of Saplings (melodic folk/black)
Kryptos - The Coils of Apollyon (heavy/thrash)
Stellar Master Elite - II: Destructive Interference Generator (black/doom)
The Vision Bleak - Witching Hour (gothic)
Necrophobic - Womb of Lilithu (death/black)

I may or may not try to do a top 10 (or whatever number) around Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:59:10 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2013, 01:17:15 AM »

I may or may not try to do a top 10 (or whatever number) around Christmas.

Oh how you toy with us all!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2013, 01:19:36 AM »

Don't worry, I would never crush your expectations! You will see my list regardless of whether I publish it in public...  Kiss
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2013, 07:24:44 AM »

Really fun band. BTW Empyrium has just released (on vinyl) an EP of songs from their upcoming new album.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »

Here are the songs that ended up on my playlist from 2013, with my favorites (I guess) in bold...

Ade - Spartacus (death)
Havok - Unnatural Selection (thrash)
Sons of Aeon - Sons of Aeon (melodic death)
Seth - The Howling Spirit (black)
Orpheus Omega - ResIllusion (melodic death)
Acacia - Tills Doden Skiljer Oss At (atmospheric doom/black)
Thrawsunblat - Wanderer on the Continent of Saplings (melodic folk/black)
Kryptos - The Coils of Apollyon (heavy/thrash)
Stellar Master Elite - II: Destructive Interference Generator (black/doom)
Necrophobic - Womb of Lilithu (death/black)
Izegrim - Congress of the Insane (thrash/death)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »

Christian Metal Singer Tim Lambesis Pleads Guilty in Murder for Hire

The singer of the Grammy-nominated Christian metal band As I Lay Dying pleaded guilty to his role in a murder-for-hire plot.

Carlsbad resident Tim Lambesis entered the change of plea in court Tuesday, admitting that he hired a hit man to kill his estranged wife.

As a result of his change of plea, Lambesis will serve nine years according to a court clerk...
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »

Maybe he can form a new group on the inside...

'As I lay Servingtime'

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »

So, I have plenty of Viking Metal to listen to (by plenty, I mean Amon Amarth), but is there a good Roman themed 'dark' metal band?  And good is the operative word.  I have listened to Occulus Ex - I, Caligula.  They're kinda stupid, IMHO.  

Perhaps not as good as Amon Amarth - who can be - but close enough for government...err res publica...work?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:14:13 PM by vamrat » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »

So, I have plenty of Viking Metal to listen to (by plenty, I mean Amon Amarth), but is there a good Roman themed 'dark' metal band?  And good is the operative word.  I have listened to Occulus Ex - I, Caligula.  They're kinda stupid, IMHO. 

Perhaps not as good as Amon Amarth - who can be - but close enough for government...err res publica...work?

The band Ade that I mentioned above has Greek and Roman influenced themes I think. Check out here for specific lyrics. Various songs are on Youtube, Spotify, etc. Does it have to be Roman, or can it also be Greek?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »

So, I have plenty of Viking Metal to listen to (by plenty, I mean Amon Amarth), but is there a good Roman themed 'dark' metal band?  And good is the operative word.  I have listened to Occulus Ex - I, Caligula.  They're kinda stupid, IMHO. 

The band Ade that I mentioned above has Greek and Roman influenced themes I think. Check out here for specific lyrics. Various songs are on Youtube, Spotify, etc. Does it have to be Roman, or can it also be Greek?

I will take a look at them.  Greek would be cool too.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »

I will try to dig some up tonight. But for now I will offer this...

The 20 most insane real life Spinal Tap moments
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »

So, I have plenty of Viking Metal to listen to (by plenty, I mean Amon Amarth)

You might want to check The Return of the Black Death by Antestor too. It's not exactly Folk Metal but for some reason I've always thought of it as a sort of Viking Metal. Here's one of their songs.

antestor - kongsblod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuioLVgE75g
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:32 PM »

So, I have plenty of Viking Metal to listen to (by plenty, I mean Amon Amarth), but is there a good Roman themed 'dark' metal band?  And good is the operative word.  I have listened to Occulus Ex - I, Caligula.  They're kinda stupid, IMHO.  

For folk metal, Svartsot's first album is really good, and then of course there is the mighty Arkona of Russia which crushes all else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7WnZGkPuVE&list=PLE481DBF9EB5AA035

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_7o_f70lZE&list=PL94hhi9zEG-mEZ2co6Y1syIsWT6UnpmS1
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:04 AM »

I'm still gonna look up some more Greek and Roman themed bands, I just got a bit sidetracked. I would have done it yesterday, but I was/am still in the process of catching up on the new albums for this year.

Speaking of... Manowar rerecorded Kings of Metal. Meh. Older Manowar albums usually seemed like half filler and half cheesy goodness, but KoM was probably my favorite by them, and was their most consistent effort IMO. But this new version... this makes me want to leave the hall.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:58:42 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »

Now that more important matters are taken care of (and he is staying in jail a while)...

As I Lay Dying

"A good starting point is to clarify some things that have often been falsely reported. Tim was not a Christian at the time of his arrest, nor was As I Lay Dying a Christian band in 2013. It hadn't been for some time and, to the best of my knowledge, only one of the people playing in the band even claimed to be a Christian at that time..."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »

I'm still gonna look up some more Greek and Roman themed bands, I just got a bit sidetracked. I would have done it yesterday, but I was/am still in the process of catching up on the new albums for this year.

Well stop screwin around ang get crackin!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »

I have no idea what you would also consider "good" (or for that matter what subgenre or vocal style you'd prefer). Luckily Youtube links are easy enough to provide and don't take too long to check out, so I didn't do too much trimming from the list.

Roman
Ex Deo - Romulus (symphonic death)
Centvrion - Snow Covers Imperial Alps (heavy/power)
Son of Aurelius - The Farthest Reaches (technical death)
Impervum - War of Titans (power)
Gotland - Gloria Et Morte (black/folk)
Anguish Force - Follow the Rainbow (heavy/power/thrash)
Imperious - Three Legions March (black)
Hirpus - Nirguna (black)
Dominion Caligula - In Love With The Gods (death/doom/black)
Exordium Mors - Unleash Prometheus (black/thrash)
Neron Kaisar - Mother Of The Beast (black)

Greek
Tales Of Medusa - The Fatal Wounding Gaze (heavy)
Nekromentheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre (thrash)
Däng - Tartarus: The Darkest Realms (heavy/doom/rock)
Validor - Hear Me Thor (folk/power)
Axe Battler - The Wrath of My Steel (heavy)
Wrathblade - Dolorous Shock (heavy)
Be'lakor - Of Breath And Bone (melodic death)
The Elysian Fields - All Those Tristful Winters (melodic black)
Kronos - Phaeton (death)
Athlos - The Dance Of Kouretes (heavy/black/folk)

Exactly how much the lyrics focus on Greek/Roman themes I didn't check, just that they did make significant use of it for lyrical content.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »

Exordium Mors

Now that sounds cool. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »

Exordium Mors

Now that sounds cool. 

Find your middle name, perhaps?  Tongue
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »

My initials would be MEE. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »

Exactly how much the lyrics focus on Greek/Roman themes I didn't check, just that they did make significant use of it for lyrical content.

Sorry for the confusing way I phrased this. What I meant was that I know these bands use a good amount of Greek and Roman themes in their music, but I don't know if it's just in a few songs each album or if that's the theme for all the songs.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »

My initials would be MEE. 

Have the courage to be confident and proud! You go ahead and say 'MEE' with boldness!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »

Ea - A Etilla - (funeral doom from Russia; full album)
Skogen - I Doden (black metal from Sweden; full album)
Waldgeflüster - Meine Fesseln (black metal from Germany; sample)
Dauden i Mørke - Cold Miasmic Domain (black metal from the US; sample)
Graveborne - Through The Window Of The Night (black metal from Finland; sample)
Descend - Wither (melodic death metal from Sweden; sample)
Stilla - Ensamhetens Andar (atmospheric black metal from Sweden; sample)
Svarttjern - Ultimatum Necrophilia (black metal from Norway; sample)
Nebelung - Palingenesis (dark acoustic from Germany; sample)
The Wounded Kings - Consolamentum - (doom metal from the UK; sample)
Haeres - Trom (black metal from Canada; sample)
Kuolemanlaakso - Tulijoutsen (death/doom/black metal from Finland; sample)
Ancient Ascendant - Echoes and Cinder (melodic/death/black metal from the UK; sample)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »

And timeless...

Wink

Selam

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »

Where's the '80's with the extended middle finger or the punk scene?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »

Where's the '80's with the extended middle finger or the punk scene?

It's actually a two finger backwards peace sign. The true "middle finger" salute of all legit punks of that era.

Selam

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »

Selam

I feel like I've seen him before...

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »

lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2014, 03:50:38 AM »

Now that more important matters are taken care of (and he is staying in jail a while)...

As I Lay Dying

"A good starting point is to clarify some things that have often been falsely reported. Tim was not a Christian at the time of his arrest, nor was As I Lay Dying a Christian band in 2013. It hadn't been for some time and, to the best of my knowledge, only one of the people playing in the band even claimed to be a Christian at that time..."

You skipped the hopeful part:

Tim has spent much of the last year reevaluating what originally convinced him to abandon belief in God. I have gathered that after much brokenness and repentance he sees things differently, considers himself a follower of Jesus, someone submitted to the will of God, or whatever you want to call it. That’s for him to talk about when he’s comfortable and only time will tell if he is sincere.

Source
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2014, 04:02:56 AM »

True, I did not quote that particular part written by Tim in the third person so that it sounded like someone else talking about Tim rather than Tim talking about himself while pretending to not be Tim and sabotaging the efforts of his former bandmates. But the statement is only what Tim has 'gathered' about Tim, presumably from talking with Tim, and Tim will wait to see if Tim is sincere.  Cheesy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »

As I Lay Dying’s Tim Lambesis Sentenced to Six Years in Prison

As I Lay Dying vocalist Tim Lambesis has been sentenced to six years in prison for attempting to hire a hitman to murder his estranged wife. The sentence was handed down earlier today (May 16) by Judge Carlos Armour of the San Diego Superior Court.

In February, Lambesis pleaded guilty to murder-for-hire charges. He was originally slated to be sentenced on May 2, but the hearing was delayed until today. Lambesis faced up to nine years in prison, but was given six during today’s sentencing...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/ErwinJonkmanFotografie
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:43:50 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: